GDT: Game 11: Columbus vs. Anaheim | 10/27 6PM EDT

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The cynical ***** in me is in agreement with this, but I tend to keep telling her to shut the **** up and sit down in this sort of thing.

The way Rule 48 is written, I suspect this will turn out like the Backes "hit to the head" last year.

* * *​

As far as I'm concerned, if Dubi is suspended but Beauchemin isn't, that is a miscarriage of justice - and as much as I agree with this principle, I will not tolerate it being selectively applied. Not here.

I missed the Beauchemin/Anisimov hit. Anyone have a clip? And how are people getting these clips BTW?

deetman

Oct 31, 2009
Philadelphia
So after watching Dubi's hit so many times grabbing GIFs and super slow mo video...

Incoming suspension, no question, period. Principle point of contact was the head and Dubi got fined last year making him a "repeat offender". Was the hit to the head intentional? No, not at all. It looks like Dubi lined up the hit and then Koivu dished the puck and started turning away from the boards. At this point he had altered his motion enough to take the primary contact point from his shoulder to his head/face.

I'd be happy with 3 (or less) games, but knowing Shannaban I would not be surprised with 10.

The thing that really pisses me off? The refs have mics... USE THEM! Explain the penalty and the call. "5 minute major for interference which caused an injury. This results in an automatic game misconduct." Maybe add in somewhere that the linesman has the authority to make such a call. Transparency goes a long way...

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So after watching Dubi's hit so many times grabbing GIFs and super slow mo video...

Incoming suspension, no question, period. Principle point of contact was the head and Dubi got fined last year making him a "repeat offender". Was the hit to the head intentional? No, not at all. It looks like Dubi lined up the hit and then Koivu dished the puck and started turning away from the boards. At this point he had altered his motion enough to take the primary contact point from his shoulder to his head/face.

I'd be happy with 3 (or less) games, but knowing Shannaban I would not be surprised with 10.

The thing that really pisses me off? The refs have mics... USE THEM! Explain the penalty and the call. "5 minute major for interference which caused an injury. This results in an automatic game misconduct." Maybe add in somewhere that the linesman has the authority to make such a call. Transparency goes a long way...

I posted here that the linesmen have the authority to make the call, and folks still raged about it. I think people were shocked by the major penalty and wanted to be pissed about it.

(This is not to say that folks shouldn't be pissed about a non-call on Beauchemin, or some other play).

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I've been a fan of suspending players for dangerous or injurious hits for a long time, and I'm not going to change that when one of our guys does it.

So guy checks a player cleanly, with not much force and guy lands awkwardly and tears an ACL. You'd suspend the checker?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
That's what I thought from my seat, of course it wasn't called though and Foligno got called for what was really minor retaliation. No penalty to the Ducks players who came to the defense of Koivu after Dubi's hit. Just one of those nights I guess.

As I said earlier I didn't get to see the game, but I see we only got 1 PP to the Ducks' 4(?). I try my best not to blame refs, but seriously no calls until the last two minutes? That's crock. Whatever, move on, hopefully no sup. discipline for Dubi.

Sucks the Isles got Vanek.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So guy checks a player cleanly, with not much force and guy lands awkwardly and tears an ACL. You'd suspend the checker?

Fair point. The reason for such a rule would be to get rid of head injuries, so we wouldn't have to suspend a player in the situation you propose.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Fair point. The reason for such a rule would be to get rid of head injuries, so we wouldn't have to suspend a player in the situation you propose.

So same situation but guy hits his head on ice and gets concussed or its a clean shoulder to shoulder hit which causes a concussion, still suspend?

I think your theory is ok but in reality it would be difficult to enforce. of course Shanny probably could.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So same situation but guy hits his head on ice and gets concussed or its a clean shoulder to shoulder hit which causes a concussion, still suspend?

I think your theory is ok but in reality it would be difficult to enforce. of course Shanny probably could.

Yeah it would still have some blurry spots. But when I weigh it out the costs of concussions are much much higher than the costs of an innocent player suspended, so I might not mind erring on the side of a suspension even if there isn't head contact. (in the Dubinsky/Koivu case, there was, so its pretty darn clear to me that it should be suspendable.)

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The hit on artem, and many other missed calls as well as some bad icing calls led to Dubinsky looking to answer the call as a leader of the cbj. His hit was clean, and it's unfortunate that koviu was injured hitting the ice . Dubinsky kept arm and elbow tucked and hit kovu in the upper chest . The jackets were clearly screwed in this game. I think many are getting used to the nfl and how wimpy they are turning the game into , with the defenseless player , which most times is ridiculous

RogerSterling

Aug 25, 2013
The hit on artem, and many other missed calls as well as some bad icing calls led to Dubinsky looking to answer the call as a leader of the cbj. His hit was clean, and it's unfortunate that koviu was injured hitting the ice . Dubinsky kept arm and elbow tucked and hit kovu in the upper chest . The jackets were clearly screwed in this game. I think many are getting used to the nfl and how wimpy they are turning the game into , with the defenseless player , which most times is ridiculous

The "principle point of contact" on the Dubinsky - Koivu his is clearly Koivu's head. That violates rule 48, therefore the hit is not clean. I don't know if I agree with the penalties apparently handed out by one of the linesmen during the game, but it is certainly a suspendable hit.

AKrangerfan

Apr 18, 2012
Anchorage
I hope there is no suspension for Dubi. I don't think there should be. His arm is down all the way. Looks like no intent to injure. He attempted a legal hit. Koivu's face was leaning forward. Maybe at best a 2 minute penalty. Is this a no checking sport?

Pouillet had a more dangerous hit on Talbot (face first into the boards) got 5 minutes and no call from the NHL. That was Rangers against Philly. There was no intent and Talbot was partially responsible for how bad it was. I think the NHL will see this hit the same way.

Columbus Rangers my second favorite team behind the New York Blue Jackets. LOL

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
The Dubinsky hit falls under the new rule against checking to the head. The head was the primary point of contact, and a player was injured on the play. In this scenario, it's a mandatory game misconduct per the rule book. It wasn't interference in my book, but at any rate, this was a 5 minute type of hit ... like it or not.

Also, for those inquiring about linesmen making the call, in the instance of a major penalty, the linesman has the authority to make the call. I've seen penalties called several minutes after the actual occurrence, at the next stoppage of play, when the linesman tells the ref to make the call.

Lastly, if the Dubinsky hit is a major, the hit on Anisimov falls under the same criteria and should have been treated similarly. At the very least, a minor penalty should have been called on the Anaheim player.

Will be interesting to see where the wheel of authority lands on this one, and also if the Jackets ask for supplemental discipline for the hit on Anisimov.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The Dubinsky hit falls under the new rule against checking to the head. The head was the primary point of contact, and a player was injured on the play. In this scenario, it's a mandatory game misconduct per the rule book. It wasn't interference in my book, but at any rate, this was a 5 minute type of hit ... like it or not.

And you join others... Grats.

Umm yeah.. whatever. Let the league decide. Frankly I don't need, want, no desire those giving there "input" on things that are judgement calls. The league will use it's own criteria. It will be mystery to most why criteria they will use at any given time.

I've seen a few "primary points of contact to the head", not get anything.

Based on the fact that it was interference already means on the on-ice didn't see it the way you did.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
And you join others... Grats.

Umm yeah.. whatever. Let the league decide. Frankly I don't need, want, no desire those giving there "input" on things that are judgement calls. The league will use it's own criteria. It will be mystery to most why criteria they will use at any given time.

I've seen a few "primary points of contact to the head", not get anything.

Based on the fact that it was interference already means on the on-ice didn't see it the way you did.

It shouldn't have been labeled "interference", but that is immaterial.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Frankly I don't need, want, no desire those giving there "input" on things that are judgement calls. The league will use it's own criteria.

Not sure I can put much stock into the opinion of someone who doesn't know the difference between "their" and "there" or "its" and "it's." Really kind of hurts one's point.

:(

Again, some retaliation to the Anisimov hit is necessary. Beauchemin set the tone and the Jackets were following up. That said, it's a hit that got him thrown out of the game and cost the Jackets a 5 minute major. If a game is tied going into the 3rd, you don't want to take that risk by opening up a big hit. Staying out of the box should be the primary concern.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Not sure I can put much stock into the opinion of someone who doesn't know the difference between "their" and "there" or "its" and "it's." Really kind of hurts one's point.

:(

Again, some retaliation to the Anisimov hit is necessary. Beauchemin set the tone and the Jackets were following up. That said, it's a hit that got him thrown out of the game and cost the Jackets a 5 minute major. If a game is tied going into the 3rd, you don't want to take that risk by opening up a big hit. Staying out of the box should be the primary concern.

I'm gonna stick up for Bob Loblaw here because I think your grammarian nitpicking is unnecessary. What I will object to Bob Loblaw on is him giving his input while simultaneously saying that he doesn't want others input. That's not going to fly on message boards.

Agreed on the hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad