GDT: Game 11: Columbus vs. Anaheim | 10/27 6PM EDT

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Clearly, there's a reason some people are left on ignore as far as HF goes. There is a such thing as a "sore winner".

Glad Dubinsky wasn't suspended, but hope Koivu is okay. From my perspective, there is definitely contact to the head on the hit. The NHL didn't deny that there was contact to the head - nor rescind the game misconduct - they simply stated that the hit to the head was incidental and that body contact was made first.

I'll also point out that, at no point, did I ever accuse this of being a "dirty play", you know, just for the "****ing" record, since that sort of talk is tolerated. My conversation in this topic was merely speculative, and in this case I was wrong in that there is no suspension. I'll gladly admit that.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Clearly, there's a reason some people are left on ignore as far as HF goes. There is a such thing as a "sore winner".

Glad Dubinsky wasn't suspended, but hope Koivu is okay. From my perspective, there is definitely contact to the head on the hit. The NHL didn't deny that there was contact to the head - nor rescind the game misconduct - they simply stated that the hit to the head was incidental and that body contact was made first.

I'll also point out that, at no point, did I ever accuse this of being a "dirty play", you know, just for the "****ing" record, since that sort of talk is tolerated. My conversation in this topic was merely speculative, and in this case I was wrong in that there is no suspension. I'll gladly admit that.

So, you are concerned about Koivu but no mention of your own player Anisimov?

I hope both are ok but perhaps Koivu is too old for the game and should go home instead of being to frail to take an NHL hit.... incidental was the call.... Dublinsky did nothing wrong!!! Yet he got hosed and will always worry about hitting old guys now, arguably our best player got hosed and many posters here feel sorry for Koivu??

Crazy.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
So, you are concerned about Koivu but no mention of your own player Anisimov?

I hope both are ok but perhaps Koivu is too old for the game and should go home instead of being to frail to take an NHL hit.... incidental was the call.... Dublinsky did nothing wrong!!! Yet he got hosed and will always worry about hitting old guys now, arguably our best player got hosed and many posters here feel sorry for Koivu??

Crazy.

I think we're all pleased that there is to be no further action taken against Dubi for the hit on Koivu, but I'm not sure what your point is about the expressions of hope for Koivu's health. Anisimov continued to play and scored two goals after he was hit (cleanly). Koivu was helped from the ice and did not return. Koivu is a respected vet and, of course, many of us hope he's not seriously hurt. Crazy?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Mediocre? 16th is playoff position.

A couple of things.

A synonym, among others, for mediocre is average. We're pretty much average in the major team stats. Those major team stats don't directly relate to points and that is what determines if we make the playoffs. What is interesting is that 10 points in the East is good for 9th place. 10 points in the West is good for 15th.

Looking at the point totals, the West is abusing the East again - and we are one of the victims. We are 1-2, at home, against the West.

Yeah, we've got a long way to go. Overall October was exactly what was described; mediocre. Or "Meh".

Sad fact, mediocre in GPG and PPP is a massive upgrade for this team.

Fun Fact. We are one of 2 teams with a + goal differential to not be above the bar. The other is the Blues and they have 3 or 4 games in hand. We can only catch one team with our 1 game in hand.

Bonus Fun Fact. We win our next two games and we will be 2 points behind the Pens with a game in hand. At this point we have the worst division in hockey.

Last edited:

Matt

Jul 30, 2006
I noticed last night on the NHL network they were referring to Koivu's hit as an elbow to his head.. I guess they hadn't checked with Toronto

Kfarschman

...Boomers in disguise
Feb 12, 2006
Deutschdorf, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Calling that hit an elbow to the head is borderline disgraceful and potential "shock" journalism. Dubi's arms were completely as far down and to the sides as you will see in a big NHL hit and they didn't even rise at all until after the impact.

The hit seems to me as an unfortunate set of circumstances. The play looks more like an unavoidable collision between two skaters where two quick but different mostly involuntary responses happened. Dubi braced and made it into an opportunity to lay a hit as a defensive/ way to wear down and intimidate the opposing team. Koivu seemed when he realized a collision was imminent to instead of brace for it to kind of just collapse into a more dangerous position and lower his head and expose it more for some reason. Would a younger Koivu notice the hit coming earlier and react better possibly avoiding it all together or atleast putting himself in a better position to take a hit? Maybe. His reaction was a bad one and one that let him down, and hopefully not too seriously. Saying that I'm not trying to lay the blame on Koivu either. Like I said, an unfortunate set of circumstances more than a blameable act.

Outside of the initial hit the fact that Koivu hit his head on the ice is frightening and very deserving of sympathy. That is something no one ever wants to see no matter what. Where you can feel sympathy for Koivu does not mean that you then jump to Dubi being in any way responsible for that outcome. He cleanly hit an oppising NHL professional hockey player. You want him not to hit opposing players? No, most people's first complaint against a player is he doesn't hit enough or play more aggressive or use his size more.

I also thought the handling of it by the refs made no sense. They whistle down the play because of the retailiation on Dubinsky yet don't call a penalty for that and though no call was made on Dubinsky during play they come together and call a major "interference" call/game misconduct!? I've never seen or even heard of that call or a complete no call turning into such an extreme call way after the fact.

Many of the things I'm saying are nothing new to the conversation but just wanted to put how I felt about it. I don't post much but the entire situation and some reactions just annoyed and frustrated me.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I have never heard of mediocre and average having the same connotation.

They don't really because it usually depends on the agenda the author has. If they're using 'mediocre', it's rarely meant in a positive way. 'average' tends to show less bias.

This team isn't going to be at the top of the league. It's going to be in the middle of the league along with most of the rest of the league. There are a few elite teams, and a few crappy teams. The rest are 10 pounds of sausage in a 5 pound bag, fighting to fit into the playoffs. I've no idea why anyone would expect anything different, particularly at this point with this young team.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
They don't really because it usually depends on the agenda the author has. If they're using 'mediocre', it's rarely meant in a positive way. 'average' tends to show less bias.

This team isn't going to be at the top of the league. It's going to be in the middle of the league along with most of the rest of the league. There are a few elite teams, and a few crappy teams. The rest are 10 pounds of sausage in a 5 pound bag, fighting to fit into the playoffs. I've no idea why anyone would expect anything different, particularly at this point with this young team.

As I was watching the Devils-Lightning game last night I had a very similar thought. Teams seem to be very evenly matched for the most part and a fluke play here and there usually results in deciding the game.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Good to see that Columbus fans were justified in booing the call. It's a shame that Koivu was hurt and I certainly hope that he recovers quickly. My biggest problem with the call on Dubi was that it was made by the linesman. Linesman should worry about offsides and icing and too many men and breaking up fights. Referees get paid the big bucks, let them worry about the penalties. That call was a total game changer. The league did the right thing in not suspending Dubi. Dare I ask that they hold the officiating crew accountable for this call?

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
As I was watching the Devils-Lightning game last night I had a very similar thought. Teams seem to be very evenly matched for the most part and a fluke play here and there usually results in deciding the game.

Or a rotten major penalty/game misconduct...

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Well OF COURSE a Microsoft service is going to equate mediocre with average! :sarcasm:

:laugh:

I had to laugh out loud at that one. Microsoft is the evil empire (though Apple is beginning to look more and more sinister every day).

Middle of the pack, median, thats what I meant when I said mediocre :)

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
http://thesaurus.com/browse/mediocre

The most widely understood meaning of mediocre is average.

And taking the definitions off the site linked by the one you posted. I guess whenever I hear the word mediocre I hear : "2: not satisfactory; poor; inferior"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mediocre

Whereas Average I've always heard as "7: typical; common; ordinary"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/average

And in my eyes, inferior is not equal to ordinary. [Or maybe it is and that's why I can't get a date anymore ;) ]

Anyways, this debate over semantics is getting pedantic, and we should probably wrap it before we get into a habit of subjecting everyone to such laborious antics. :D

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Anyways, this debate over semantics is getting pedantic, and we should probably wrap it before we get into a habit of subjecting everyone to such laborious antics. :D

Seriously? You are going to try and continue to defend that position you took?

Around 75% of the synonyms are directly related to average. You picked the one that fits supports your opinion and ignore the 5 or 6 around it that doesn't? The reason that the more negative synonyms even exist is that a portion of the population has been using it wrong for so long.

It's not an issue of semantics. The issue is that the majority of the time it's used in the context of average; you just happen to be in the minority that doesn't.

Back on topic. The majority of the world uses mediocre as sometime related to middle-of-the road - or average. Just as it was in this thread. In the world of sports; average is generally viewed as a negative. It's pretty obvious when you get that 2nd line 40 point player and the reaction he gets from the fan base. Thus your skewed view when it was used earlier in the thread. All the major team stats we have are quite mediocre.

This kind of reminds me of a discussion I had with someone when they told me albeit wasn't a word. I told him that it was most certainly a word; albeit not used as often as it should. He continued to insist it wasn't a word, even after seeing it in a dictionary.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
Seriously? You are going to try and continue to defend that position you took?

Around 75% of the synonyms are directly related to average. You picked the one that fits supports your opinion and ignore the 5 or 6 around it that doesn't? The reason that the more negative synonyms even exist is that a portion of the population has been using it wrong for so long.

It's not an issue of semantics. The issue is that the majority of the time it's used in the context of average; you just happen to be in the minority that doesn't.

Back on topic. The majority of the world uses mediocre as sometime related to middle-of-the road - or average. Just as it was in this thread. In the world of sports; average is generally viewed as a negative. It's pretty obvious when you get that 2nd line 40 point player and the reaction he gets from the fan base. Thus your skewed view when it was used earlier in the thread. All the major team stats we have are quite mediocre.

This kind of reminds me of a discussion I had with someone when they told me albeit wasn't a word. I told him that it was most certainly a word; albeit not used as often as it should. He continued to insist it wasn't a word, even after seeing it in a dictionary.

So there's multiple definitions but the one you picked is right and the one I picked is wrong? Must be nice always being right even when you're wrong.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Ok, I think we have a handle on who thinks what average or mediocre means. Let's move on. This isn't a congressional hearing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad