GDT: Game 11: Columbus at New Jersey | 11/1 7PM EDT

njdevils6

Jan 24, 2013
maybe you guys should look into Dustin Penner Ray Whitney Scott Gomez and Jaime Mcbain
and see if you could work any 2 way deals with them

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Holy ****. Some of you seriously need to smoke a joint and relax..seriously calm down. There is still A LOT of hockey to be played. . .

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yep. 11 games, let's end the season right now. White flag. Let's get ready for next year.

I'm sure we'd be 11-0 if we'd traded Savard + 6th for Crosby, fire the GM!

What would you do? You make sure you whine about him in every post, so what's your bright idea? Or ideas, I should say, since it'd take a hell of a lot more than 1 trade to replace everything the Jackets have lost. But you already knew that, you have the master plan for replacing half a roster, right?

Don't tell me, you'd trade a couple valuable pieces for Alex "$7m, healthy scratch, team finally wins when I don't play" Semin, right? Because HE would fix all the problems. He can play on the 2nd line, 3rd line and 4th line. And since McBackup played Friday, he can probably handle the goal, too. :yo:

Harv, you really are something else.

I've stated what I'd do numerous times. Signing of UFA AHL or European free agents or a Whitney-type to a two way deal. This offense needs a jump start-in case you haven't noticed.

Standing pat and waiting for the quality players to return hasn't been a successful strategy. The notion that there just isn't anyone out there who can provide short term help to the CBJ is ridiculous. I certainly don't expect equal caliber to Dubi or Jenner in the replacement camp, but there are better options than another 2nd line AHLer from Springfield. That's reality. Deal with it.

If watching the season slip away as the FO slumbers is acceptable to you, then so be it.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
maybe you guys should look into Dustin Penner Ray Whitney Scott Gomez and Jaime Mcbain
and see if you could work any 2 way deals with them

Other than Scott Gomez-who hasn't been a legitimate NHLer in at least 3 years and McBain who's a dman-I'm with you. Very little risk and quite possibly a short term boost for the woeful offense with a Penner or Whitney.

Sign one of these guys to a 2 way and they can refuse to report to the AHL if they clear waivers if they're sent down. It's certainly better than doing nothing.

Last edited:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I would be fine with a Penner signing. I don't see a single downside to it.

I don't really get the folks who worry about " then what will we do when everyone gets healthy???!!??!" - when we can make it through a game without someone getting injured, then maybe I'll start to think about that.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
You do realize just because a Penner or Whitney type hasn't signed does NOT mean they haven't explored the option or reached out. Oh, no? You don't? Didn't think so.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
You do realize just because a Penner or Whitney type hasn't signed does NOT mean they haven't explored the option or reached out. Oh, no? You don't? Didn't think so.

Exactly this. There aren't many better options than the system right now, or they would have happened. It's incredibly simplistic to believe that because something hasn't happened, nothing has been tried. As if message board folk are somehow wiser than the guys paid the big bucks in the NHL.

There's no magical fix, folks. The best way out of this is through.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
skimmed the thread a bit.. I don't get the comments about Joey.. no **** he's tired, look at his recent TOI

21:13 vs OTT
22:48 vs TOR
22:33 vs NJD

he usually only plays like 18 minutes and these games were in a short time frame including a back to back

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
I've stated what I'd do numerous times. Signing of UFA AHL or European free agents or a Whitney-type to a two way deal. This offense needs a jump start-in case you haven't noticed.

1) And yet you cried and whined when the no-risk signing of a UFA Euro didn't work. Hahaha.

2) Yeah, some UFA who's gonna accept a two-way deal is REALLY gonna fix all our problems. Jesus, some of you (mainly you, at least) live in a complete dreamworld.

Standing pat and waiting for the quality players to return hasn't been a successful strategy.

It's 10 games. SERIOUSLY - how new are you to hockey and why haven't you yet adjusted to the fact that it's a long marathon, not a short sprint? There is no such thing as success or failure after 10 games. Not even after 40 can you determine results, nevermind a quarter of that. Once again, JESUS. :shakehead

but there are better options than another 2nd line AHLer from Springfield. That's reality. Deal with it.

For a handful of games? Wooo! Yeah man, Ray Whitney is totally gonna come in here, after zero practice or anything with the team, slot in on that 2nd line and totally win the Jackets a bunch of games.

Dealing with reality? ... It's VERY clear you're the one who needs to do that, man. You're really struggling with it right now. The reality is: the Jackets are decimated by injuries and doing EXACTLY THE SAME AS WHAT EVERY OTHER TEAM WOULD DO -- sitting tight until it all plays out.

Once again, some of you are in a completely alternate reality. If the Jackets struggle with a full lineup, then and only then will they look to move a piece for an upgrade. Which, funnily enough, those same whiners will probably whine about anyway as the Jackets will have to overpay. "They traded that soooo awesome prospect [who they wanted to ship off after 8 games for a crusty veteran] for that old, overrated 3rd liner [previously labeled 2nd liner who would be immediate upgrade due to injury]? FIRE JARMO!!!!!!!"

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
1) And yet you cried and whined when the no-risk signing of a UFA Euro didn't work. Hahaha.

Could you please let me know who I was crying and whining about? It will be news to me.

Your assumption is that there are no players outside of Springfield who could have been signed over the last several weeks who could have helped us. That is an idiotic assumption.

I think I understand your strategy though. I think it could be summarized as follows:

Stay the path! Be patient! It'll all get better soon!! Above all, do nothing!

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Not to switch topics, but....

I was impressed with Forsberg. I think he gives us the same chance as Mc does. If Forsberg can do a better job with rebounds, i'd be much happier though.

neek21

Sep 8, 2012
we win the faceoff Wennberg took on the power play they scored on, chances are it's still 2-1 at that point of the game...I know 19 was over used [and has been because we have no other options right now for important face offs] but that was the game in my eyes...minute 40 later they scored again on that scrum in front of the net to make the score 3-2...I know HCTR has to give the 'kids' opportunities in certain situations, but we need wins right now...the educational portion of learning the rigors of professional hockey are done at the AHL level, not here..flame away folks

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
Fully agree he should be mastering his craft in the A, but it's hard to blame them with the sheer lack of healthy bodies right now. He won't last once they all start coming back.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
we win the faceoff Wennberg took on the power play they scored on, chances are it's still 2-1 at that point of the game...I know 19 was over used [and has been because we have no other options right now for important face offs] but that was the game in my eyes...minute 40 later they scored again on that scrum in front of the net to make the score 3-2...I know HCTR has to give the 'kids' opportunities in certain situations, but we need wins right now...the educational portion of learning the rigors of professional hockey are done at the AHL level, not here..flame away folks

Huh?

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Refs were shoddy tonight but the only call I really have a beef with is the Embellishment on Hartnell. Cross checked in the face and he is trying to sell the call....right.

Hartnell embelishment.

Frozen puck, no whistle.

Wennberg trip, no call.

3 big moments in the 3rd, 3 toss up calls, all went NJ's way. Bad luck, or BS, call it what you will but we were not out played in that game.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Hartnell embelishment.

Frozen puck, no whistle.

Wennberg trip, no call.

3 big moments in the 3rd, 3 toss up calls, all went NJ's way. Bad luck, or BS, call it what you will but we were not out played in that game.

the puck was never frozen...the overhead showed it sitting on the ice next to Forsberg for a good 3 seconds with no one touching it...

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
the puck was never frozen...the overhead showed it sitting on the ice next to Forsberg for a good 3 seconds with no one touching it...

Yes I agree with that, my complaint with that goal was initially Forseberg has it trapped under his mit, only for a split second, before the Devil player jars it loose with his stick.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Atkinson doesn't currently contribute very much to the top line. Hasn't been capable of playing high speed offensive game that Johansen and Hartnell can create through passing the puck and he can't individually create enough space like Foligno earlier every now and then did in his place. Of course the guy did have his eye almost cut off recently but hopefully that line goes through some changes.

Johansen, Hartnell, Wennberg, Dano, Gibbons, Skille... not a long list of forwards capable of either playing modern hockey or at least have some kind of offensive contribution to build lines from.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Atkinson doesn't currently contribute very much to the top line. Hasn't been capable of playing high speed offensive game that Johansen and Hartnell can create through passing the puck and he can't individually create enough space like Foligno earlier every now and then did in his place. Of course the guy did have his eye almost cut off recently but hopefully that line goes through some changes.

Johansen, Hartnell, Wennberg, Dano, Gibbons, Skille... not a long list of forwards capable of either playing modern hockey or at least have some kind of offensive contribution to build lines from.

Atkinson is tied with Johansen for most goals (5) and is fourth in points (7). I'm not sure what more you'd expect him to contribute; especially, as you pointed out, after such a frightening injury.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Atkinson is tied with Johansen for most goals (5) and is fourth in points (7). I'm not sure what more you'd expect him to contribute; especially, as you pointed out, after such a frightening injury.

Better, more varied possession which leads into better chances and more goals being scored against the opposition. Atkinson got two goals in last three games but that line isn't exactly playing like dominating first line.

Hartnell and Johansen still work very well together but Atkinson doesn't connect and keep the offensive tempo up with them as well as Foligno (who wasn't superb but decent at that) did so I would like someone else to try on that line instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00