GDT: Game 11 - Chicago Blackhawks @ Raffi Torres

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm not jumping off a cliff on account of this dog turd of a game. You get one or two of these a year, every year. It happens. Best to forget all about it and move on.

Mikkel Boedker is freaking awesome, this year, though. Korpikoski is playing with a ton of heart, too. Great effort by Gordon as well. Chipchura never slowed down. Played hard the whole time.

We need more out of Doan and Vermette right now. Smith and Yandle, too.

This game just sucked. Penalties for nothing dealing with hockey. It's like the refs wanted to make amends for what happened last year, but don't give them the opportunity to do so! Keep your mouth shut and perform on the ice. I'm sorry, but this team blew it tonight. They acted like children on the ice.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's not that they shat the bed. It's the manner in which they did it. For Doan to take that 2 minute unsportsmanlike was icing on the cake. Starting to wonder if this team misses the leadership of Whitney and Aucoin.

pacerhimself

Mar 17, 2012
Man, I just skimmed the replay and the calls that they made were as much horse **** as I thought they were live last night. Sharp attempts to play the puck along the boards and it gets scooped away before he gets it - OEL checks him in the process of the play and they call it interference. Morris taps Shaw and he flails into the boards, so it's cross checking. Z makes a play on the puck and Bolland doesn't know how to skate so that's tripping. That's no excuse to absolutely collapse, but it's like Chicago brought the refs with them. We see those plays every day in other games and they never get called.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Man, I just skimmed the replay and the calls that they made were as much horse **** as I thought they were live last night. Sharp attempts to play the puck along the boards and it gets scooped away before he gets it - OEL checks him in the process of the play and they call it interference. Morris taps Shaw and he flails into the boards, so it's cross checking. Z makes a play on the puck and Bolland doesn't know how to skate so that's tripping. That's no excuse to absolutely collapse, but it's like Chicago brought the refs with them. We see those plays every day in other games and they never get called.

I don't want to put this game on the refs. Coyotes just didn't show up, period. We got beat. But we also gave the refs opportunities to make calls that we shouldn't have. I get it, you are mad about the situation, etc. But just keep your mouth shut. Don't give the refs any more reason to call a penalty.

Not going to lie, I looked like a jackass on the goal when Yandle was banging his stick against the glass. I thought the ref that skated to the booth waved off goal and was calling interference, but I was way wrong. I was standing up clapping and looking around, but apparently he was calling another penalty on Yandle after the goal.

I'd like to forget this game, and move on. Still a lot of games left, and still plenty of opportunities to gain points and make the playoffs. I LOVE that Tippett called out Doan and Yandle. He's holding our captains accountable to their actions. I'm not saying make them a scratch, The fact that these 2 are leaders of our team, and that Tippett has called out Yandle multiple times this season, I think we can expect less crying and taunting to the refs, and more actions on the ice.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I've gotten into it with Detroit and Buffalo fans many times, concerning relocation cracks. I also layed into some Winnipeg fans at the pizza joint by my house last Friday night(they were arguing about how plus/minus works and all of them had it wrong - but we should bow down the vast hockey knowledge of traditional markets, right?). Basically, you can hope for relocation all you want and trash the local market in front of fans, but it's a self-defeating attitude. Generally, I'll talk about what a ****-hole Detroit is, and what an awful place Buffalo must be to live, etc. Then I'll congratulate them from escaping those wastelands, and making their way to Shangri-La where they can golf year round and go to hockey games for pennies on the dollar. Then I'll remind them how much more expensive it'll be to have to go to Los Angeles to watch hockey. Then I'll invite them to go back to whatever depressed, frozen **** hole they came from because we aren't particularly happy to have them here, anyhow. Generally it's more curse laden and succinct, however.

Doesn't really work for Chicago, though. Most of them would actually prefer to be back there. I couldn't handle the weather, but I'm sure it's a superior town in all other ways (as long as you are relatively financially comfortable, that is).

MP

Feb 8, 2008
So apparently a crazy person got into the locker room. Skip to 1:15. My guess? A mind game devised by Dave Tippett. That man will be running practice today.

pacerhimself

Mar 17, 2012
So apparently a crazy person got into the locker room. Skip to 1:15. My guess? A mind game devised by Dave Tippett. That man will be running practice today.

I do appreciate the audacity of the Coyotes video production crew to have a 'Call For Tickets' message at the end of this interview.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Who was that girl reporter?

I think you are joking, but that's Sarah, AZCentral's pawn. I honestly feel she does a great job. Then again, I follow her on twitter and get her messages, so a lot of the news I get comes from her tweets. Not sure about what other people feel about it. I was living in Flagstaff, and have only been down in the valley since October. I didn't follow the team as regularly as I do now.

knowsthegame

Mar 18, 2008
Tale of 2 NHL cities
He could not handle the size, strength, and speed of Stahlberg. He looked really bad every time that guy was his man. He also looked really great down low a couple of times and straight burried Kane at one point. Had some good pinches and some bad ones. It was an all over the map game for him on a really weird and awkward night all around. I feel bad for him, and really hope he gets another shot. I think he can be an asset.
I agree completely with this assesment of Summers. It is unfortunate for him that he will be judged by this stinker of a game and probably sent down when so many roster players will get away with worse performances or not even showing up or shutting up.
To be fair, Summers should get a couple more starts.
Even OEL got beat by Toews like I have never seen before and he is arguably our best all round player. (I think the heavy workload is piling up on him)

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Ugly game for sure, (even I) can't argue with much of the sentiment expressed on this thread, although some is over the top.

First, the boys came out "off" with a lack of sharpness that was enough to make me cringe. I don't know if it was that or their own lack of perception, but they also were rushing themselves when they had time and space... a bad idea against the likes of Chicago.

Second, I've never liked Summers' play and he's shown me nothing that would change that. Gap control son - flying "Batman" leaps at the opponent are only effective when you catch 'em with their head down. He's definiitely got speed, shows a willingness to hit (probably too much), but I just don't see the NHL caliber that I see from... say a Stone.

Third, credit the Hawks??? For knowing EXACTLY what got under the boys hide against LA in the WCF last season and embelishing, just enough to get the calls and take our fools off their game (see "fourth").

Fourth, Yandle was an embarrassment to himself, the entire organization and those of us who stick up for him! Did he not learn anything in the WCF's against LA last year? Like so many here have said: It ain't always gonna go your way, just shut the **** up and play the ****ing game!

All that being said, they did "line themselves out" and were much more effective in the second and third, skating to what was effectively although far from conclusive (due to the ugly first) a tie.

It's one game and you're bound to have an implosion or two during a season, but it's the self inflicted embarrassment (provided mostly by veterans and so called leaders) that made this one all the more difficult to endure.

While I'm a Chicago native, I bleed Coyote red and have NO sentimental or effective affection for the team when we play them, which makes the valley residents that are like me, but rooting for them, all the more untolerable. Last night the boys offered me no sense of pride in our ethic, but we all must agree that the Hawks are flipping amazing right now.... it's just too damn bad we didn't execute on our potential to knock 'em down some.

Last edited:

Matzel

Jul 26, 2003
Can somebody PM me when we have a legitimate offensive threat on this team so I can start watching again? Our best offensive prospect is Mikkel Boedker and we rely on shane doan to supply primary offense.

This is a joke. Matthew lombardi doesn't solve are woes. For goodness sakes, trade Rundblad if you're not going to play him. Kyle Turris would be leading our offense today if it wasn't for Tippet. Our biggest threat is a washed up Steve Sullivan and a Blue Jacket cast away in Vermette.

Uhm, offense hasn't been the problem in the desert... :sarcasm:

Matzel

Jul 26, 2003
We need more out of Doan and Vermette right now. Smith and Yandle, too.

Word! :yo:

Time is a wastin' during this shortened season. Sooner would be better for those cuatro hombres.

Matzel

Jul 26, 2003
Somewhat unrelated a comment about the Blackhawks crew with the call. I don't watch the Hawks much so I don't listen to Foley / Olczyk regularly, but they were absolutely *awful*. They only comment on the game sporadically while their pseudo jokes make my ears bleed.

Look guys, your job is to call the hockey game. If I wanted to watch comedy, I'd turn that dial to some other channel where they do that a lot better. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad