GDT: Game 11 - CBJ vs DAL - Groundhog Day, 7pm

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'll give the team a pass on this one. Throwing Laine in without much practice and also playing a really quality opponent.

Thursday will be telling.

Reactions: Calendal

Bookker

Sep 17, 2010
I'll give the team a pass on this one. Throwing Laine in without much practice and also playing a really quality opponent.

Thursday will be telling.
Honestly do you really think there will be any big improvements ? :sarcasm:

I want the same obviously, but we are all saying that game after game, and nothing happens.
We are far from being a good team.
I hope Laine is the guy who can take the team to the next level, but it should realistically take some time, we are not going to play consistent high-level hockey starting from the next game.

I wish so bad I am wrong :popcorn:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
CBJW, you make some very interesting points. Certainly this team does not yet have an identity. But Ros has only played a couple games. Laine has played one, Koivu maybe 5 or 6. So there are three guys who have not had much time to play with the rest of the team. So there can still be hope that this team jells soon.

Agree with this. Weird times in the world, weird times for the CBJ - a bunch of new forwards, most in the top 6 and most haven't played much hockey for a while.

It hasn't looked good so far, but I'm still clinging to the hope that it'll start clicking in the next 10-15 games. Will that be soon enough? Maybe not.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I also think Jarmo is at fault here. He drafts his European/Russian skill guys who will help the team in God knows when. And from what I can tell Marcenko & Chinakov aren't exactly Torts' kind of guys.

What is a Torts type of guy?

My understanding is that he wants players to be positionally sound in all three zones and to have a high battle level. Both Marchenko and Chinakhov are very positionally sound for their age group and Chinakhov in particular has a great battle level. They're both guys that do well on the forecheck and backcheck. The KHL is a cautious defensive league, so for them to get top ice time they would have to be strong two-way guys.

Torts might be losing the team, I am concerned about that. His anemic system isn't working this year, I think he either needs to shift to an aggressive system or the team might quit on him.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
CBJW, you make some very interesting points. Certainly this team does not yet have an identity. But Ros has only played a couple games. Laine has played one, Koivu maybe 5 or 6. So there are three guys who have not had much time to play with the rest of the team. So there can still be hope that this team jells soon.

Certainly there is time to jell and adjust. I’m not saying this is over. But there’s a clear top 3 in the division that is 100% in the playoffs, it’s Dallas Tampa and Carolina. We’re competing with Nashville and Florida for the final spot. We have to turn this around soon.

my issue more stems with the complete lack of interest in forechecking. You don’t even HAVE to hit the guy you just need to put pressure on them. We don’t. It’s one thing if the other team is skilled enough to break your forecheck down and just beat you, but we don’t even try. We have one guy kinda pressure the carrier and the rest is in the neutral zone. There’s no pressure at all in that.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
What is a Torts type of guy?

I don't get the notion of drafting based on your current coach's style anyway, given that few draftees are expected to play immediately. BPA should always be the rule with some acknowledgement given to positional preferences.

I'm so hooked into hopelessness with this team, knowing how fate has constantly pooped on us, this is what I expect to happen:
1. Torts is fired.
2. PLD admits in interview that he wanted out mostly because of Torts, told Jarmo he had to make the choice and Jarmo stuck with the coach.
3. Anderson says relationship with Torts was strained, made it easy to make the decision that he wanted out.
4. Mark Stone says he would have sign with CBJ at the trade deadline two seasons ago but heard bad things about Torts
5. Panarin says he would have played for 2 mill per year and Olentagy River water vodka, but Torts.
6. All members of current roster request trades because they love Torts.
7. Torts goes to coach in Russia, ends up with Chinakhov, Marchenko and Tarasov all on his team. They love him and never want to come to the US, or he ruins all of them and they never come to the US.
8. Jeff Carter says he didn't want to play for any organization that would consider hiring Torts, even if it was many years in the future.

pscbj80

Aug 1, 2020
I think the issue lies here. It is a combination of these two. It appears that Torts has lost, or at least in the process of losing, this team. I also think Jarmo is at fault here. He drafts his European/Russian skill guys who will help the team in God knows when. And from what I can tell Marcenko & Chinakov aren't exactly Torts' kind of guys.

The Jackets are almost 20% through the season and are averaging a point a game having "feasted" on Chicago and Detroit to get there. If things don't turn around soon it is going to be a long short season.
I really don't think Torts is here after this season draft picks being Torts players or not. He seems to be losing the room from my amateur eye. The team has no identity.

Reactions: EspenK

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Since yesterday was Groundhog's day, doesn't it seem appropriate that it seems like every year we start sluggish and then the team "has to find its identity?"

I know training camp this year is different but season preparation/planning seems to be off every year.

Reactions: majormajor

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't get the notion of drafting based on your current coach's style anyway, given that few draftees are expected to play immediately. BPA should always be the rule with some acknowledgement given to positional preferences.

I'm so hooked into hopelessness with this team, knowing how fate has constantly pooped on us, this is what I expect to happen:
1. Torts is fired.
2. PLD admits in interview that he wanted out mostly because of Torts, told Jarmo he had to make the choice and Jarmo stuck with the coach.
3. Anderson says relationship with Torts was strained, made it easy to make the decision that he wanted out.
4. Mark Stone says he would have sign with CBJ at the trade deadline two seasons ago but heard bad things about Torts
5. Panarin says he would have played for 2 mill per year and Olentagy River water vodka, but Torts.
6. All members of current roster request trades because they love Torts.
7. Torts goes to coach in Russia, ends up with Chinakhov, Marchenko and Tarasov all on his team. They love him and never want to come to the US, or he ruins all of them and they never come to the US.
8. Jeff Carter says he didn't want to play for any organization that would consider hiring Torts, even if it was many years in the future.
You forgot a few.
9. Rick Nash turns out to not actually have any concussion issues; it comes out that that was just the only way he could come back to the Jackets and yet not play for Torts while still saving face. The reveal of this causes him to storm off in a huff and he cuts all ties with Columbus, taking JLGP and Jody Shelley and the rest with him.
10. Doug MacLean reveals that he was so desperate to keep Torts from eventually being hired back into the NHL that he preemptively got himself hired as president and GM and tried to sink the franchise so it'd never have the opportunity. Ironically, this was ultimately his only unintentional failure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad