GDT: Game 11 - CBJ vs DAL - Groundhog Day, 7pm

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Nah...you’re smarter than that. 10 bad games doesn’t change the player they’ve been in the past, their age, or their potential.

And that kind of negative thinking is what everyone said about Dubios and Joey... turned out quite different.
We’re talking 1C trade, a unique breed of players, it’s nearly impossible to land one and if Zach or Seth keep playing like this (we are not trading them now for sure) then it will be tough to get a top center for them

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The problem is their value is dropping now, unless they pick up their game, nobody will trade their 1C for either one of them

HF value sure. But GMs don't change their whole opinion on a player based on one 10 game stretch, or maybe not even a whole season.

If Jones was fetching a 1C two weeks ago then he still is.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
HF value sure. But GMs don't change their whole opinion on a player based on one 10 game stretch, or maybe not even a whole season.

If Jones was fetching a 1C two weeks ago then he still is.
They will not be moved until the off season at the very least, who knows how they are looking then.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
if Torts is looking for D man who can move the puck through the neutral zone....

I'd bring up ADAM CLENDENING

Dude played incredibly well 2 years ago against Tampa and Boston on the playoffs.

Never understood the lack of love for this guy

Reactions: 60ntheville

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
if Torts is looking for D man who can move the puck through the neutral zone....

Dude played incredibly well 2 years ago against Tampa and Boston on the playoffs.

And we have Peeke that can definitely move the puck. We have luxury of quality D men not getting any playing time in the NHL. We have an abundant/redundant bunch of guys who can't score on their own. Hmm

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jones and Werensky are offensive defensmen, so probably coaches wanted couple offensive-defensive. Although I think Gavrikov played very good with Kukan. But maybe it`s time to try Carlsson.

Gavrikov-Kukan was excellent. They actually carried the play despite the disaster with the rest of the team. Werenski-Savard were in the middle and MDZ-Jones got buried. Jones played almost the entire 5v5 game in his own end.

We've rarely seen Carlsson string more than two good games together. Peeke and Harrington are both ahead of him on the depth chart, the only reason Peeke got sent down over him is because he is waiver exempt and Carlsson is not.

I still want to see

Gavrikov - Jones
Werenski - Peeke
Kukan - Savard

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I loved Clendening two years ago and I was arguing that he should have gotten more of a chance.

But he was barely passable speed-wise and might just be too slow these days. At least he looked like it in camp scrimmages, fwiw.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I think I'll take a short nap before I have to get up. Thanks guys, the result wasn't good but I enjoyed watching the game anyway. I had a fire in the fireplace, hockey on TV and both our cats next to me on the couch. Life is good, even if Laine didn't score and the Jackets lost. :)

I'll probably skip the next game, but I'll be tuning in on Saturday vs Carolina! :popcorn:

Thanks for all PMs, btw. I got plenty of messages and they were really helpful! :thumbu:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Gavrikov-Kukan was excellent. They actually carried the play despite the disaster with the rest of the team. Werenski-Savard were in the middle and MDZ-Jones got buried. Jones played almost the entire 5v5 game in his own end.

We've rarely seen Carlsson string more than two good games together. Peeke and Harrington are both ahead of him on the depth chart, the only reason Peeke got sent down over him is because he is waiver exempt and Carlsson is not.

I still want to see

Gavrikov - Jones
Werenski - Peeke
Kukan - Savard
Thanks for site. :)

A reason ot the statistic? Dallas' players move the puck very well, our not. Look at Roslovic and, especially, Laine. They don't in ideal condition but inspite of it they were the best players. Together with Foudy, Domi and Robinson, if only about forwards. Simply said their players are skiller.

P.S. It isn't ideal to watch Internet from 1 hour A.M. with a cat on the legs, so please, you'll win. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I loved Clendening two years ago and I was arguing that he should have gotten more of a chance.

But he was barely passable speed-wise and might just be too slow these days. At least he looked like it in camp scrimmages, fwiw.

That may very well be true, I'd still give him a game

and I would sit Werenski.....1 game

the shortened season, 3 point games every night, it's do or die time right now

Tampa----Dallas----Carolina----these 3 teams look like locks to make the playoffs
That leaves 1 spot

Odds are stacked against the Jackets making the playoffs in a bad way

Can't hurt to shake things up

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
I thought Laine played great with domi when they had time together. Domi 60% off circle today

Don't like ros when he's away from the puck in offensive zone. Just stands around. No movement. When he has the puck he looks great but he needs to work on finding open spaces.

Robinson has been one of our better players all season and didn't look lost on top line.

Would like to see

Laine, domi, bjork
(Trust this line)
Jenner, tex, Atkinson
(New cam to get one, hes close)
Foudy, ros, robinson
(Speed line )
Nash, koviu, Foligno
(Vet grit line)

Bench
Gerbe , Stenlund, benstrom

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Not sure whats changed with this team.

Torts preaches about forechecking all the time. We moved Jenner to the wing because of it. We always claim to have a "fast hard team to play against", yet we all know the grit and grind of our team has fallen off in recent years. That's okay, as long as you have the horses to play like that. You can still forecheck without being a nasty hard team to play against.

Lots was made over Jenner being relentless of the forecheck. Cam used to be a puck hound. Domi used to be pretty good in the corners. Foligno as well. We don't forcheck hard at all. We have one guy chase and the rest clog the middle or the neutral zone. We don't even try.

I get Laine, Texier, and others are softer players and not willing to grit and grind in the corners for the pressure, but we have guys on this team that can do it. Yet we don't, and we claimed to want to do it.

Compare this team to the 2015-16 team, the streak team, a team that is far less talented than this one on paper, and I'm not convinced we'd beat them. That team at least had an identity and style of play. This team just goes out and plays pond hockey all the time.

Is this a Torts issue for not playing to his teams strengths or preaching the wrong message? Is this Jarmos fault for not surrounding Torts with players who can appropriately play the way he wants? If its the latter, then where did the communication go wrong?

We've played one good game all year. And a few sparks in other periods. We're now over 10 games into the season, with more games played than almost everyone else, and we're the ones struggling to find our game.

We have no team identity. We have no style of play. We have no cohesion. We’re a team of semi talented players with zero sense on how to play together as a team

Last edited:

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA

Torts preaches about forechecking all the time. We moved Jenner to the wing because of it. We always claim to have a "fast hard team to play against", yet we all know the grit and grind of our team has fallen off in recent years. That's okay, as long as you have the horses to play like that. You can still forecheck without being a nasty hard team to play against.

Lots was made over Jenner being relentless of the forecheck. Cam used to be a puck hound. Domi used to be pretty good in the corners. Foligno as well. We don't forcheck hard at all. We have one guy chase and the rest clog the middle or the neutral zone. We don't even try.

I get Laine, Texier, and others are softer players and not willing to grit and grind in the corners for the pressure, but we have guys on this team that can do it. Yet we don't, and we claimed to want to do it.

Compare this team to the 2015-16 team, the streak team, a team that is far less talented than this one on paper, and I'm not convinced we'd beat them. That team at least had an identity and style of play. This team just goes out and plays pond hockey all the time.

Is this a Torts issue for not playing to his teams strengths or preaching the wrong message? Is this Jarmos fault for not surrounding Torts with players who can appropriately play the way he wants? If its the latter, then where did the communication go wrong?

We've played one good game all year. And a few sparks in other periods. We're now over 10 games into the season, with more games played than almost everyone else, and we're the ones struggling to find our game.
Completely agree, we have completely lost the desire to forecheck and hit someone. It's fine if you dont want to play that way but you can't dump the puck in every shift and then just have one guy go get it. This team would get destroyed by the streak team, that team was actually difficult to play against. Not saying this team isn't more talented but it certainly feels lost at the wheel.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I'm nodding along to most of this and then... did you just question Texier's willingness to grit and grind in the corners? He is that relentless beast on the forecheck you're asking for. He's not a soft player.

Anyways, your main point is correct. The streak team (2016-17) would slice through this one, despite this team being about as talented.

Two reasons:

(1) Team strategy is totally different. I went over this, I think it was in the "Is Jarmo done making trades" thread yesterday. One or zero man forecheck compared to two man forecheck. The most anti-rush system in the league, compared to "safe is death" with countless odd-man rushes going each way.

(2) The players are slower and softer. Compare our current group to this one:

2016-17
Foligno-Wennberg-Saad
Jenner-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Calvert-Karlsson-Anderson
Hartnell-Sedlak-Gagner

That's a lot more puckhounds - more speed and a lot more physicality. The current group is a bit slower and much softer by comparison. The three guys we've kept from that era have all lost a step.

----------------

This is somewhat of a separate point: when I look at that old lineup I remember loving the passion they played with. If they had a bad period they would have a fight or some hits and start turning it around. I don't see it anymore.

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
After watching first CBJ game last night I am little bit worried. Why guys are not playing three periods, they only started playing at third, or was it that Dallas stopped playing? Before that getting out from own zone was way too slow and passes were not going to own guys and let's not talk about finishing.. Hopefully next game looks better, most likely Laine will be better but how about rest of the team?

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
CBJW, you make some very interesting points. Certainly this team does not yet have an identity. But Ros has only played a couple games. Laine has played one, Koivu maybe 5 or 6. So there are three guys who have not had much time to play with the rest of the team. So there can still be hope that this team jells soon.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

We have no team identity. We have no style of play. We have no cohesion. We’re a team of semi talented players with zero sense on how to play together as a team

I think the issue lies here. It is a combination of these two. It appears that Torts has lost, or at least in the process of losing, this team. I also think Jarmo is at fault here. He drafts his European/Russian skill guys who will help the team in God knows when. And from what I can tell Marcenko & Chinakov aren't exactly Torts' kind of guys.

The Jackets are almost 20% through the season and are averaging a point a game having "feasted" on Chicago and Detroit to get there. If things don't turn around soon it is going to be a long short season.

Winland

Mar 5, 2016
Watched my 1st Blue Jackets game last night. Laine was rusty.. Especially his skating. He was a bit nervous with the puck but made some good passes. Didn't get a clear opening for his shot. Dallas had him marked. Best line by far was Koivu's line. Domi was atrocious..Same could be said about Foligno. Werenski seemed very "clonky". I dunno if that makes sense. What this team needs is someone to carry the puck from D-zone. A puck-happy d-man. Might wanna take a closer look at Lehtonen from Toronto. He could be cheap.

All this based on one game does not make me an expert by all means. Just my observations.

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
I'm nodding along to most of this and then... did you just question Texier's willingness to grit and grind in the corners? He is that relentless beast on the forecheck you're asking for. He's not a soft player.

Anyways, your main point is correct. The streak team (2016-17) would slice through this one, despite this team being about as talented.

Two reasons:

(1) Team strategy is totally different. I went over this, I think it was in the "Is Jarmo done making trades" thread yesterday. One or zero man forecheck compared to two man forecheck. The most anti-rush system in the league, compared to "safe is death" with countless odd-man rushes going each way.

(2) The players are slower and softer. Compare our current group to this one:

2016-17
Foligno-Wennberg-Saad
Jenner-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Calvert-Karlsson-Anderson
Hartnell-Sedlak-Gagner

That's a lot more puckhounds - more speed and a lot more physicality. The current group is a bit slower and much softer by comparison. The three guys we've kept from that era have all lost a step.

----------------

This is somewhat of a separate point: when I look at that old lineup I remember loving the passion they played with. If they had a bad period they would have a fight or some hits and start turning it around. I don't see it anymore.

I wonder if this team misses Dubinsky more that I would have expected. Not necessarily just his on-ice play, but in the room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad