GDT: Game # 11: Blue Jackets @ Devils, 7PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Don't most players have a favorite team growing up? lol. I don't see why this is even a concern for Santini at all.

Semak

- I knew Doug Brown, got a empty net goal stolen from him once

- I'll take "a"

- Santini was drafted, having ties to any other team because of fandom or family should not and will not affect his future with the organization

- Nice to have a young D core and a keeper and try to put together a forward group than the other way around, but it would be nice to have an 80pt potential somewhere in the pipeline

- stop being told to **** by the team you root for or you might get kicked out by security

Did I miss anything?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
- I knew Doug Brown, got a empty net goal stolen from him once

- I'll take "a"

- Santini was drafted, having ties to any other team because of fandom or family should not and will not affect his future with the organization

- Nice to have a young D core and a keeper and try to put together a forward group than the other way around, but it would be nice to have an 80pt potential somewhere in the pipeline

- stop being told to **** by the team you root for or you might get kicked out by security

Did I miss anything?

You forgot to mention we won. :sarcasm:

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
We started the year off not dumping and chasing the first few games, but we have reverted back far more to last season's tendency to dump the puck and chase it down rather than trying to carry it in and look for a play

Some of this has to do with opposing teams studying how we play and adapting to cover our guy tight entering the zone, but you have to adapt to the other teams adapting to you as well

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We started the year off not dumping and chasing the first few games, but we have reverted back far more to last season's tendency to dump the puck and chase it down rather than trying to carry it in and look for a play

Some of this has to do with opposing teams studying how we play and adapting to cover our guy tight entering the zone, but you have to adapt to the other teams adapting to you as well

Some of it is a lack of chemistry with the lines. With injuries and shuffling there has been not continuity with the lines and you can see they are still out of sync. Without a proper passing option guys rather dump then carry straight into an opposing player.

You get Jagr and Brunner do it alone sometimes, but they do absolutely nothing with it and usually just turn it right over. Brunner more so.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
That's why I like Jagr, he sees what we see and is honest about other stuff too. Just when I think I'm nuts to be waiting for the bottom to fall out of a 6-3-2 start.

You HAVE to think the forwards can't be this bad all year though. Even as old as most of them are. Thankfully Cory's playing better and is cleaning up one of the two parts of his game that was giving him issues (shortside goals)...the wandering Moose-type moments are another story.

It's great that he tells it like he sees it but some of that is troubling. Guys getting frustrated with each other, not executing. Not sure if some of that's on Pete or not but they need to get on the same page.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
I really don't like Brunner at all. Talented and fast for sure, but still completely brain dead in the offensive zone and no finish. He's like a somewhat more effective Tedendy.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Brunner can be so frustrating to watch. He can fly and make some fancy moves but most of the time it results in nothing. But then he'll pull out a nice snipe and you get sucked back into thinking he could score 20-25 goals for this team.

njdevils6

Jan 24, 2013
oh that was brought up when he was drafted
I just think (from what I've been hearing) is Santini is gonna be a stud on D, where Matteau is just gonna be a "good" forward
and I'd hate to lose a stud to the dam rags

who cares if we lose him the the Rangers the second he leave he won't be worth **** to them just like every player that left to go there

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Brunner can be so frustrating to watch. He can fly and make some fancy moves but most of the time it results in nothing. But then he'll pull out a nice snipe and you get sucked back into thinking he could score 20-25 goals for this team.

But here's the thing. I'd take that over the current versions of Clowe or Zubrus every time. Are there players out there better than Brunner? Sure. Are there players better than Brunner on this team? Not that many.

I'd rather have a guy that creates but doesn't finish than a guy who literally does nothing. I do understand the frustration with him though. And the criticisms are fair.

njdevils6

Jan 24, 2013

could be cuz we lost our 2 quickest players to injury?

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Some great quotes from Jagr.

“I love it, but I’m mad about the fact we don’t play well,†Jagr said afterwards. “When we play the way we can play, we can beat anybody. That’s the sad thing. The urgency is not here.

“We always look for the excuse: ‘I’m too young. I haven’t played many games so it’s okay to make a mistake. I’m a veteran player so the coach will give me a break.’ The game can be so much fun if you play the right way. That’s what ticks me off the most. If we learn how to play the right way, making a play instead of just dumping it in, it’s easy to win. We’re playing too safe or too risky. We don’t pick the right plays at the right time.â€

Jagr said the frustration has players unhappy with each other.

“We’re just hurting each other. We don’t make plays. We’re just throwing energy away for nothing. Then everybody gets frustrated at each other,†Jagr said.

“At least you know everybody cares. “We all know that we don’t we don’t make plays in the first two periods. And I’m one of them. We’re frustrating each other. Somehow we’re still in the game when the third period comes.

“I look at the positive. When we want to, we can do it. We found a way to win it because I think the players that can make the difference are here. Yes, we’re winning, but we’re throwing energy away and having no fun. We could be winning, 5-0.â€

Reasons why you have to love Jags. He tells it like he sees it (and how most fans see it). Tonight was ALOT of dump and chase and horrible puck handling. Fans at the game were getting frustrated with the horrible passing skills we showed on the ice once again. Yes it's still early in the season and yes we are doing decent in the standings but Jagr sees that with a little more CONSISTENT work ethic this team would be much better.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Havlat is no where near one of our quickest players

He's one of the slowest..

I dunno about that. League wide, yeah he's probably about average, but on this team I think he's near the top. It really speaks more to the lack of team speed than it does to Havlats speed, but to say he is one of the slowest on what is quite possibly the slowest team in the history of the NHL is being unfair to Havlat IMO.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
could be cuz we lost our 2 quickest players to injury?

It's only 2 guys though

Guys like Zajac, Zubrus, Henrique, and Ryder off the top of my head have noticeably been dumping it far more these past few games than they had at the beginning of the year

I'm not talking about carrying it in and blowing by guys all the time, rather carrying it in just over the blue line or to the faceoff circle and then making a move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad