Game #10 : Kings vs. Flames - 10/21/13 - Regulation Loss 3-2

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
The Kings are paying 19 million dollars this year for the center ice position, who have combined for ZERO goals in 10 games, and we're blaming the refs? How many 5 on 5 goals do we have this season? Our offense is putrid, no other way to describe it.
Come on, Kopi and Richards both have a good number of points, they just don't have goals. They have done the dirty work to get others to score. Richards made a great pass to Carter for that SHG tonight and also made 2 great passes to Slava and Carbomb in earlier games for their goals. Kopi looks much better this season as well and both lines are playing with subpar left wingers.

fallsviewafro*

I come in peace!

Good game, I always enjoy a good scrap with the Kings. It was always nice to see Kipper and Quick duel to a 1-0 finish, but sadly (or gladly, if you like goals and excitement) those days are over. I saw some great effort from a few Kings tonight, especially Frattin on that one take-away in the Flames end. I thought Quick played pretty well too, though Cammy was lucky to squeeze it by.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the reffing thing. We were all *****ing about getting jobbed in Anaheim the other night in a similar situation, just as there are, ah, a few rustled jimmies in here over the special teams situation. I'm not going to comment on the bias either way, only that the reffing was bad all-around and that poor officiating is regretfully a factor that may impact the outcome of a game. Happens to everyone.

Where's the scoring? I expected our Norris candidates of Butler and O'Brien to get shamefully exposed, but the biggest defensive "oops" was a lucky deflection in to tie it. Is that a Sutter thing? I've heard a lot of hype around Toffoli, any reason why he isn't around?

Also, hope you guys are enjoying Regehr. Miss that guy like hell, hopefully he's doing good things for you.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
This morning I noticed something...

Every game I've watched fully, the Kings have won.

Every game I've fallen asleep we've lost.

Dont blame Kopi or our PK, it was my fault for falling asleep at the last 2min of the game.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
If anyone is saying Mike Richards isn't playing well or not having a good season, you guys are doing nothing but score sheet watching. This is the best/most energized Richards has looked since his first season in LA (pre injury). The dude is every where and some of us on this board thought this guy's career was over. He's been arguably our best player through 10 games, way to prove them wrong Mike!

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009

Dont blame Kopi or our PK, it was my fault for falling asleep at the last 2min of the game.

Drink some coffee or take a shot of 5 Hour Energy before the start of the game will you?:laugh:

Captain Mittens*

You son of a *****! Snort some no doze before the game on Thursday

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
If anyone is saying Mike Richards isn't playing well or not having a good season, you guys are doing nothing but score sheet watching. This is the best/most energized Richards has looked since his first season in LA (pre injury). The dude is every where and some of us on this board thought this guy's career was over. He's been arguably our best player through 10 games, way to prove them wrong Mike!

Agree!

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Lol that's so true. He's so sloppy but he some how gets points.

Seriously, man, that's ridiculous. Richards hasn't been awesome but he's played pretty damn well. Three of Carter's goals this season were a direct result of plays made by Richards. The shorthander happened because Richards was in front of the net. And what was sloppy about those two great passes to Voynov and Carcillo? He's having trouble scoring that first goal, but he does not get those points by accident. It's pretty easy to finish and get goals when you have great looks provided by Richards. Maybe someone would like him to do him the same courtesy.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Come on, Kopi and Richards both have a good number of points, they just don't have goals. They have done the dirty work to get others to score. Richards made a great pass to Carter for that SHG tonight and also made 2 great passes to Slava and Carbomb in earlier games for their goals. Kopi looks much better this season as well and both lines are playing with subpar left wingers.

Sure, but the season is 1/8 over and they don't have a single goal? One sure would have come in handy last night. I don't think it's asking a whole lot to say that they both should have a couple goals each by now, which would probably mean another win or two. At this end of the season it will be the difference between a 7th place finish and a division championship. And please don't give me that "built for the playoffs" nonsense. There are only 5 teams worse than us 5 on 5. That's not built for anything except golf.

I'm not saying that Kopitar and Richards have been "bad", but they need to score some goals if this team is going to be successful.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It'd be nice to get Yakupov. Low risk high reward. His value is low, but if there is any organization that can turn his attitude around its the kings.

His value isn't that low, maybe to an eastern team, but certainly not the Kings. They'd be asking for Voynov+ at the very least, likely more.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I come in peace!

Good game, I always enjoy a good scrap with the Kings. It was always nice to see Kipper and Quick duel to a 1-0 finish, but sadly (or gladly, if you like goals and excitement) those days are over. I saw some great effort from a few Kings tonight, especially Frattin on that one take-away in the Flames end. I thought Quick played pretty well too, though Cammy was lucky to squeeze it by.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the reffing thing. We were all *****ing about getting jobbed in Anaheim the other night in a similar situation, just as there are, ah, a few rustled jimmies in here over the special teams situation. I'm not going to comment on the bias either way, only that the reffing was bad all-around and that poor officiating is regretfully a factor that may impact the outcome of a game. Happens to everyone.

Where's the scoring? I expected our Norris candidates of Butler and O'Brien to get shamefully exposed, but the biggest defensive "oops" was a lucky deflection in to tie it. Is that a Sutter thing? I've heard a lot of hype around Toffoli, any reason why he isn't around?

Also, hope you guys are enjoying Regehr. Miss that guy like hell, hopefully he's doing good things for you.

Scoring is coming around I think. Remember we did hit two posts. The opportunities are there, the finish isn't--but I remember what happened last time we were having a run like that :nod: It's also kind of a Sutter thing--I can't remember the last time we won by more than a goal. It's always a tight game.

Toffoli, eh. He SHOULD be here I think is the consensus, but hard to see who he pushes out, especially since he had a crap preseason (not everything--but didn't even look like he was working hard, imho). I'm sure we'll have seen him, Vey, and Andreoff at least once by season's end.

I DO miss the Kipper/Quick duels and Kipper was one of my favorite goalies of all time. I was bummed when he retired until i remembered you guys were now in our division :) I also find it awesome that Sutter's subtle call-out of Quick had to do with Kiprusoff being awesome, heh.

Been very impressed with Richards! I love it. He looks like he's MOVING better too, imo. I didn't think he had an injury or anything, but if you compare his skating at the end of last season to beginning of this season, it almost looks like he was skating with a groin injury--slow, tentative, always getting caught up to. Every time it looked like he was going on a breakaway, he'd get caught. Not so much now!

Actually I view it as a sign of compliment to our team... Remember Yakupovs celebration from last years start of the season...

You know you are a good and feared team, when oposing players/fans celebrate wining a "cheezee" game against you like a monumental achievement.*:):nod:

*Note: our fan base for most of the last decade was the same with wins vs. Detroit...

Very much so. Thanks for the reminder. And thanks for the reminder. This is the part where I was jumping up and down on my couch, heh.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Sure, but the season is 1/8 over and they don't have a single goal? One sure would have come in handy last night. I don't think it's asking a whole lot to say that they both should have a couple goals each by now, which would probably mean another win or two. At this end of the season it will be the difference between a 7th place finish and a division championship. And please don't give me that "built for the playoffs" nonsense. There are only 5 teams worse than us 5 on 5. That's not built for anything except golf.

I'm not saying that Kopitar and Richards have been "bad", but they need to score some goals if this team is going to be successful.

What is the difference when the goals happen as a direct result of their play. Carter last night didn't even actually score. Richards manages to touch that puck last night and that is his goal. It went off a defenseman's stick. Still the goal happened cause he was driving towards the net. And like I said above, a number of goals this season have been a direct result of Richards' play. Same with Kopitar and a lot of his assists. If Kopi had 4 goals and 4 assists and Richards had 3 goals and 3 assists, would that make you happy? It's still the same amount of pucks going into the net.

Again, maybe their linemates should help them the same way Kopi and Richards help everyone else. Get them some better more open looks.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

I'm pretty sure neither of them are aware they haven't scored yet and in Kopitar's case, he's also riding about 25 games from the end of last year when he didn't score. Why don't you tweet them and let them know that they haven't scored yet.

Without them, this team wouldn't have the 6 wins they do have. They will score, the team will suceed and to put the 'end of the season' doom and gloom 10 games? The sky isn't falling.
The 2nd line won't produce at a reg. basis until the LW vacancy is filled and Sutter stops switch hitting them. You can't function as a succesful line when you don't have stability, chemistry and knowing how the other guys work so you can do your job. If MR didn't have such a high hockey IQ, they wouldn't have the goals they have scored and the chances they've had.
And Sutter has to realize that forcing King time and time againg to the top 6 DOESN"T WORK. He's not a top 6 guy, keep him down below where he's best suited.

Frattin looked solid last night, and deserves to be put back on the 2nd line and kept there.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Exactly Dee.

I'm surprised people are still having a hard time separating goals from production. The Carter goal is a direct cause of Richards. In addition, Kopitar jacked a post. Sooner or later, that stuff is going to start going in. Last night we need to just chalk up to bad luck and walk away.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Still 6-4 through 10 games. That's a realistic pace for 48 wins, which would put the Kings near the top of the standings by the end of the year going by recent history. San Jose is great right now. Anaheim can't seem to be beat either. However, even the best of teams end up losing 30 games or so.

Obviously if the Kings plan on going far they'll need Kopitar and Richards to score, especially since the Kings are all that deep. If the Kings were 4-6, it's a greater cause for concern. They're not though, so nothing to get too crazy about on October 22nd. The goals will come for those two.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I watched the reply of the GWG again and it looks like King (who shouldn't have been out there anyway with less then 1 min to play and down 1 man, better options on the bench) was way out of position and gave them a full lane to shoot and then when the shot did come, instead of blocking it , he moved out of the way. He should have been at least partially to blame. But Sutter didn't see it that way, he blamed Greene.
Sutter calls out the other younger players freeliy enough (for less infractions at times) and even benches them but not King . I just don't get why King is wrapped in teflon.

From the Mayor post game:

The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL 9h Sutter on Flames last goal- 'Greener should've cleared it, should've had it down the ice. He is one of our top penalty killers...(continued)We had the four right guys on the ice, and we didn’t get the puck down the ice. It was a good shot.' - end of Sutter on Flames last goal

No, coach, you didn't have the 'four right guys' on the ice...

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I watched the reply of the GWG again and it looks like King (who shouldn't have been out there anyway with less then 1 min to play and down 1 man, better options on the bench) was way out of position and gave them a full lane to shoot and then when the shot did come, instead of blocking it , he moved out of the way. He should have been at least partially to blame. But Sutter didn't see it that way, he blamed Greene.
Sutter calls out the other younger players freeliy enough (for less infractions at times) and even benches them but not King . I just don't get why King is wrapped in teflon.

From the Mayor post game:

The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL 9h Sutter on Flames last goal- 'Greener should've cleared it, should've had it down the ice. He is one of our top penalty killers...(continued)We had the four right guys on the ice, and we didn’t get the puck down the ice. It was a good shot.' - end of Sutter on Flames last goal

No, coach, you didn't have the 'four right guys' on the ice...

Greene went behind the net to chase Hudler, and fell, leaving the front of the net open, causing King to have to cover for Greene, which then left the point man open.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Pretty sure King is on the PK cause they are not using Brown. They are trying to cut down Brown's minutes.

Cause Brown is not 100%, wont be till probably about game 25.

Would rather see Clifford get those PK minutes though. Clifford gets to the point a lot faster than King.

I blame Jim+Bob for bragging about the PK in the pregame, they need to shut up about that kind of stuff (17 straight PK kills).

The witch hunt on King and Muzzin is tire some, Muzzin is playing better, and it's not Kings fault that Sutter uses him improperly.

Ron*

Too many stupid penalties and please, let's not blame the refs. The Flames look like a good team this year and the Kings played pretty well except for having to be on the PK so much.

QFT. I was at the game and the fans are becoming increasingly hostile at the refs where it wasn't necessary. I didn't see one call that wasn't correct. It's getting tiring telling my fellow fans to stow it. This isn't ****ing Philly. We need to be real about the game and how its called.

Ron*

Sutter is more obsessed with King than Face wash is with Lady gaga

I know you didn't mean this, but wanted to give another 2 cents:

Lady Gaga got it down, musically. She's the 10's version of Elton John from the '70s. Don't mistake all the costume shít for lack of talent. It's there.

Love her music.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad