GDT: Game 10 - Bolts @ Avs - 7:30 PM 10/24/18

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Huge hot take right here.

Is it a huge hot take? We've seen Bednar have a short leash, sometimes questionably so IMO based on play on the ice, with certain players. Other players certainly are given every opportunity to succeed, despite any struggles. It seems to me that this is more of an observable fact than any hot take. I suppose that any particular conclusion to be drawn from it may be a hot take, but that is open to interpretation.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
We didn't get particularly good play from some of our lower lines, but at the same time the Lighting D was outstanding. They have really good team defense and are always in the right position to take away the shot. They are very good.

Reactions: Goulet17

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I still like Jost and I think he will be a player for the Avs, but I don't believe that it will create any harm to reduce his role, particularly on the top PP unit. It may even be helpful for him to sit for a game or two to clear his head and watch the play. We've seen that approach with teams throughout the league. I just have this sense that the Avs desparately want him to succeed in a large role now, and they may be forcing the issue unnecessarily with him.

My bigger issue with the lineup may be with Bourque. I like his effort and play on the PK at times, but I am not sure what he has done to essentially make himself an untouchable player in the lineup. It is likely a lost cause discussing it, however, as Bednar went as far as giving him an "A" on his jersey at times last season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This game is exactly why the Avs need a strong second line to compete. The 1st line was shutdown more than normal (still dangerous) and held off the scoresheet... when that happens the Avs will lose the vast majority of the time. A legit 2nd line changes the complexion of the team dramatically.

I think Jost is getting a touch too much hate here, but he was really, really bad last night. They need to reduce his role immediately and start building up some confidence in his game. He needs moved to wing on the 4th line next to Kamenev and Dano. Be very choosy with that line and they should be able to produce some offense.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
We didn't get particularly good play from some of our lower lines, but at the same time the Lighting D was outstanding. They have really good team defense and are always in the right position to take away the shot. They are very good.

The Avs played really well defensively last night. I know that TMV and others were critical of the SOGs by the Avs for long stretches, but Tampa only generated 25 SOGs and 15 at even strength. The Avs played with Tampa and were not overmatched IMO, which is probably why myself and others have frustration. It seems like the Avs are closer (at least at the moment) than I expected and I suddenly do have a degree of impatience wanting Sakic to make a move to shore up what appears to be the biggest weakness on the team. That may very well be a mistake as it is difficult to force a move.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Just finished the game. I'll pile on with the Jost heat - he should be in the AHL by next game.
The other guy I think deserves some criticism is Tyson Barrie. He's looked decent on the powerplay, but where the hell is the offense at even strength? We should be able to put him out there with the 2nd line and have him help them to produce, but he's been completely incapable of doing that.

Some positives: Cole looks fantastic, the top line is still great and just got stoned by great defensive play and a hot goalie combined, Dano looks like an NHLer, and Soderberg looks great.

So here's what I'd like to see for next game - put Kerfoot and Wilson on Soderberg's wings and see if you can make a proper second line. Bring Kamenev back and put him and Dano as the 3rd and 4th line centers. Sit/demote Jost.

So:
Top Line
Kerfoot - Soderberg - Wilson
Nieto - Kamenev - Ghetto
Calvert - Dano - Gork

Another idea would be to call up Greer, who has 8 points in 6 AHL games so far, and put him in an offensive role (maybe on the wing with Kerfoot and Wilson if Bednar doesn't want to put Soderberg with them them).

They could also call up Logan O'Connor instead and put him as the 4th line center. This would also give them a 2nd right shot among the forwards outside of MacKinnon (and Compher).

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
No way I can complain about this loss. First of all, coming back from a road trip, teams are usually little flat. Secondly, this game was inches away from being a 1-1 game going to OT if it wasn't for Jost offside, and third, they played a really good Tampa team and Avs continue to show that they are for real.

Proud of the boys!

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Pierre McGuire said last night he thinks that game could have been a preview of the Cup Final. He followed it up by saying people forget the Avs will be adding Cale Makar at the end of the season, and he is probably the best defenceman in college hockey.

He channeled his Crosby love for the Avs last night. Could have sworn I heard beating in the background. Brought up Makar twice and Girard got plenty of love as well.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
lol.

Wrong. The Avs took it to Tampa after they scored. Tampa didn’t lock anything down.
The Ava only got 8 even strength shot attempts from the start of the second period to the 10 minute mark of the third, and were outshot 12-1 to start the third period. You really think Tampa didn’t just start to sit back a little bit to protect it?

I thought the Avs played real well defensively but the offense wasn’t there.

Last edited:
Reactions: dahrougem2

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Just finished the game. I'll pile on with the Jost heat - he should be in the AHL by next game.
The other guy I think deserves some criticism is Tyson Barrie. He's looked decent on the powerplay, but where the hell is the offense at even strength? We should be able to put him out there with the 2nd line and have him help them to produce, but he's been completely incapable of doing that.

Some positives: Cole looks fantastic, the top line is still great and just got stoned by great defensive play and a hot goalie combined, Dano looks like an NHLer, and Soderberg looks great.

So here's what I'd like to see for next game - put Kerfoot and Wilson on Soderberg's wings and see if you can make a proper second line. Bring Kamenev back and put him and Dano as the 3rd and 4th line centers. Sit/demote Jost.

So:
Top Line
Kerfoot - Soderberg - Wilson
Nieto - Kamenev - Ghetto
Calvert - Dano - Gork

Another idea would be to call up Greer, who has 8 points in 6 AHL games so far, and put him in an offensive role (maybe on the wing with Kerfoot and Wilson if Bednar doesn't want to put Soderberg with them them).

They could also call up Logan O'Connor instead and put him as the 4th line center. This would also give them a 2nd right shot among the forwards outside of MacKinnon (and Compher).
Got to agree with you on Barrie and Jost. Both are in total suck mode. And funny enough out first unit pp is in suck mode as well, gee I wonder why.

I'd like to see next game Girard swapped for Barrie on PP1 and I know I'll take heat for this but I'd like to see Kamenev in there for Jost on that unit. He was a solid PP guy in the AHL, why not see if he can help out here.

I sure hope that Kamenev draws in next game as right now there are too many passengers in the bottom 9. Namely Jost, Nieto and Bourque. Too many gritty unskilled guys need more scoring types.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Got to agree with you on Barrie and Jost. Both are in total suck mode. And funny enough out first unit pp is in suck mode as well, gee I wonder why.

I'd like to see next game Girard swapped for Barrie on PP1 and I know I'll take heat for this but I'd like to see Kamenev in there for Jost on that unit. He was a solid PP guy in the AHL, why not see if he can help out here.

I sure hope that Kamenev draws in next game as right now there are too many passengers in the bottom 9. Namely Jost, Nieto and Bourque. Too many gritty unskilled guys need more scoring types.

I don't think I want Kamenev in Jost's spot simply because Kam doesn't have a secure roster spot and I don't want the 1st unit to have a rotating cast of guys. Personally, I'd like to see Wilson in that role, but I'd also be okay with Ghetto, Kerfoot or Soda (although I think the last two are needed on the second unit).

I also agree with the too many passengers issue. Honestly the perfect 4th line right now would be Nieto, Calvert and Gork, but none of them play center.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Taking Jost off the top PP unit does nothing. He’s basically just there to take up space. Anyone could do that job. He’s the fifth option and rarely is used. He’s not bringing the unit down in any way.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Taking Jost off the top PP unit does nothing. He’s basically just there to take up space. Anyone could do that job. He’s the fifth option and rarely is used. He’s not bringing the unit down in any way.

What if he's rarely used because the other guys don't trust him to do the right thing/score when they give him the puck? Maybe if Ghetto, Wilson, Kerfoot or Soda were in that spot, they'd actually pass it there more often.

Also, I strongly disagree that he's not bringing the unit down. Almost every powerplay there comes a time when the puck is disputed, and if Jost happens to be the guy closest to the puck more often than not it ends up outside the zone. If the person is going to rarely get the puck, then at least put someone in there who can dig for pucks and get it to the other guys.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
The Ava only got 8 even strength shot attempts from the start of the second period to the 10 minute mark of the third, and were outshot 12-1 to start the third period. You really think Tampa didn’t just start to sit back a little bit to protect it?

I thought the Avs played real well defensively but the offense wasn’t there.

To protect what? A 0 - 0 game.

The shots were 24 - 22 Tampa. Its not like they peppered the Avs all night. Colorado has just as many scoring chances and had plenty of chances down the final 10 minutes.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

The shots were 24 - 22 Tampa. Its not like they peppered the Avs all night. Colorado has just as many scoring chances and had plenty of chances down the final 10 minutes.

What he’s saying is that after tampa got the lead, we turned it up offensively. We should have been the team outshooting tampa 12-1 when it was 0-0

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
They did that to start the game... Two good teams battling will have swings. I don't see the issue here...

Thats true, but i would consider turning it up in a tied game in the third to be more important than in the first. Just due to the time remaining in the game. We seem to be great at the start of games and wear down, when we should be more consistent. It does happen though when facing a team like tampa. Props to them

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Here's the game report. Things did get pretty lopsided in the Bolts' favor in the 3rd, but, hey, that's an elite team that did one hell of a job defensively and in goal to really limit the Avs chances, and they still managed to keep it close.

Tampa Bay Lightning @ Colorado Avalanche, 2018-10-24

I really hope Gabe Bourque gets scratched at some point. I am starting to get Guenin-levels of hate for that guy.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Avs don't have it right now, but I do believe a right handed shooter in the slot would make the PP even more dangerous. When Landeskog gets the puck from Mikko in the corner, he's never looking for Jost because there's no one-time option. If that's a right shot in the slot, it gives us one more option to make a play.

Compher could be that guy, but coaching staff seems to like him on the 2nd unit. Then we're frankly out of right handed shooters lol.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017

I thought the Avs were the better team .Especially when Mack line came on the ice .Avs played a great game just had the unfortunate offside call and Jonhson sliding dive that backfired . I mean Tampa didn't do anything special and didn't get any secondary scoring either . Avs blueline looked better and top line was better. While the Avs are looking for production from a #2 center Tampa still looking for a #1 center as I've stated before

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad