GDT: Game #1 | Winnipeg Jets @ St. Louis Blues | Chapter: 1 "Opening the Book on a new season."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
ROR he looked pretty fast in pre-season, did not look slow. I did because... we got this. I have all the confidence in the world that blues have a really dynamic team this year better than the WCF team. I know we have a lot of new pieces but i am excited about this team.

ROR is one of those players that always looks like he is going 100%, just the way he skates IMO, just like Vladdy looks like he is coasting/lazy at times. The real answer is most likely in the middle of both of those takes lol. I kind of skate like that, when I move I have to take tons of strides to move around (Short guy with short legs) and this one kid I play with just glides around effortless and flies. If we were to race he would beat me by just a step or two but it looks like he is not even trying, lol it is sometimes annoying watching taller people skate !

Reactions: Bendak

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Is he really below average though? From what I've seen, he gets around fine. Sometimes it looks like he's slow but I've begun to attribute that more to not expending energy. When he needs to go, he goes
I really thought he skate fast when he needed to. especially on that break away where copley made two fantastic saves on him.

Reactions: Bendak and Dbrownss

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
ROR is one of those players that always looks like he is going 100%, just the way he skates IMO, just like Vladdy looks like he is coasting/lazy at times. The real answer is most likely in the middle of both of those takes lol. I kind of skate like that, when I move I have to take tons of strides to move around (Short guy with short legs) and this one kid I play with just glides around effortless and flies. If we were to race he would beat me by just a step or two but it looks like he is not even trying, lol it is sometimes annoying watching taller people skate !
In my old age 36, doesnt matter how hard i try and how fast i think i am skating the kids just seem to wiz by like you said effortlessly. Got start playing in 28 + mens legaue and not the 18+ lol

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Bad news guys. The rookies are playing Fortnite. JR's piece on Thomas confirms: Thomas, Kyrou, Walman and Foley were playing Fortnite during training camp.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'm excited. Wish we were at full strength, but I still like our group. Let's go Blues! Big test on opening night. I'm going 3-2 Blues in OT with Vladdy sniping one high glove to end it.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Bad news guys. The rookies are playing Fortnite. JR's piece on Thomas confirms: Thomas, Kyrou, Walman and Foley were playing Fortnite during training camp.

Sound the alarm, gents.

200w.webp

Reactions: Bendak and HighNote

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Is he really below average though? From what I've seen, he gets around fine. Sometimes it looks like he's slow but I've begun to attribute that more to not expending energy. When he needs to go, he goes

Without actually measuring the straight line speed of every NHL player, it is hard to say for sure. I'd say slightly-below to average. He may be average, or even slightly-above in actuality. But his straight-line speed is not so impressive to be a plus asset like other players, nor is his quickness. It gets the job done, but more because of his other skills. Its not a huge knock because he can play fast by the way he anticipates the play so well.

I googled "O'reilly speed" and got one video of a break-away. Now he blows by Hoffman and Colin White which is impressive as they are good skaters. But that is because he jumps before his team has the puck. Hoffman is caught flat-footed, White is on the boards (and still manages to almost catch up) and the D are nowhere near. So it wasn't his speed but knowing his guy would get the puck and hit him. I've just rarely/never seen him flat out rush past someone or create space by turning on the jets or beat someone to the puck with speed alone.

Even if he is considered slightly above average, I highly doubt he'd be in the top 15-20% of skaters to be considered fast.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Without actually measuring the straight line speed of every NHL player, it is hard to say for sure. I'd say slightly-below to average. He may be average, or even slightly-above in actuality. But his straight-line speed is not so impressive to be a plus asset like other players, nor is his quickness. It gets the job done, but more because of his other skills. Its not a huge knock because he can play fast by the way he anticipates the play so well.

I googled "O'reilly speed" and got one video of a break-away. Now he blows by Hoffman and Colin White which is impressive as they are good skaters. But that is because he jumps before his team has the puck. Hoffman is caught flat-footed, White is on the boards (and still manages to almost catch up) and the D are nowhere near. So it wasn't his speed but knowing his guy would get the puck and hit him. I've just rarely/never seen him flat out rush past someone or create space by turning on the jets or beat someone to the puck with speed alone.

Even if he is considered slightly above average, I highly doubt he'd be in the top 15-20% of skaters to be considered fast.
I guess it's how we want to look at it. I think a better way to look at things is as you being an asset or detriment. As long as it's not a detriment to his game, it doesn't matter for the most part because you said, he's so good at everything else.

Considering Tarasenko doesnt play a fast foot speed game, it should mesh...at least thats what I'm telling myself.

Not related to this but I've been thinking about the PP, Matthews plays where they have Tarasenko and it works for guys who can RIP shots. I think having ROR(who can actually fire a 1 timer) on the right circle will work out.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I guess it's how we want to look at it. I think a better way to look at things is as you being an asset or detriment. As long as it's not a detriment to his game, it doesn't matter for the most part because you said, he's so good at everything else.

Considering Tarasenko doesnt play a fast foot speed game, it should mesh...at least thats what I'm telling myself.

Not related to this but I've been thinking about the PP, Matthews plays where they have Tarasenko and it works for guys who can RIP shots. I think having ROR(who can actually fire a 1 timer) on the right circle will work out.

I think we can all agree on the fact that he is way faster than Jori Lehtera.... right?

Reactions: Bendak and Dbrownss

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
I can't say that I really care whether it's Butler or Mikkola that plays; obviously either one is going to log the fewest minutes among the D.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
I've got the urge to hear the organ again babyyyyy!

Here's to hoping all the newbies pot one and Jake Allen posts his first of thirty shutouts this saison.

amazing GDT, the team deserved it

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I went a looked at what our lineup looked like for last year's opening night game...

Sobotka - Stastny - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Schenn - Jaskin
Paajarvi - Sundqvist - Thompson
Upshall - Brodziak - Thorburn

Steen, Berglund, and Fabbri were all injured, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad