GDT: Game #1 | Winnipeg Jets @ St. Louis Blues | Chapter: 1 "Opening the Book on a new season."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
can't wait for game 1, and for the sky to begin falling for either the Jets or Blues. :sarcasm:
good to have the boys back for games that count. hopefully Byfuglien doesn't kill Kyrou, Thomas or Blais tonight.

Reactions: Bendak

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
This is me and my wife at the beginning of every year, unfortunately I play the role of Jessie lol

giphy.gif

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
can't wait for game 1, and for the sky to begin falling for either the Jets or Blues. :sarcasm:
good to have the boys back for games that count. hopefully Byfuglien doesn't kill Kyrou, Thomas or Blais tonight.

Agreed I think he will throw his weight around.. its going to be interesting to see how the Blues handle teams that want to be real physical with the rookies.. this is a good test..

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Just to note those lines were what was being reported yesterday. They said Edmundson was doubtful and had Butler paired with Schmaltz whom I am assuming slots in for Bortuzzo.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I'm so pumped up for this game! I'm expecting some growing pains with all the new faces and no Edmundson but it will be exciting to see O'Reilly, Bozak, Kyrou, and Thomas. A lot of fresh blood up front and all are very skilled.

I'm not surprised they're going with Butler over Mikkola. No way you want his first NHL game to be against this Jets forward group.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Butler over Mikkola

Hitch Still as a coach?

I see Mikkola - Schmaltz would have been better choice. Mikkola is far better at d-zone and easily upgrade of Butler. Schmaltz is superior with transition game and Mikkola would have complete Schmaltz's weakness defensive game.

We shouldn't even talk about Butler should play when we've players like Mikkola or Walman. They both are superio players in all 3-zones, no matter how much veteran Butler is. Leg speed, 1vs1 play, d-zone play, passing. I dont believe how well Mikkola and Walman performed at pre-season coaching staff would have knowledged where players are at.

I'm literally shocked Yeo choosed Butler over Mikkola or Walman.

Last edited:

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I'm so pumped up for this game! I'm expecting some growing pains with all the new faces and no Edmundson but it will be exciting to see O'Reilly, Bozak, Kyrou, and Thomas. A lot of fresh blood up front and all are very skilled.

I'm not surprised they're going with Butler over Mikkola. No way you want his first NHL game to be against this Jets forward group.

Yet...they're still considering running Chris Butler out on the ice against that same Jets forward group. Seems like they're rewarding Butler for being a good team-first guy from STL, otherwise it's a matter of mgmt worrying about a rookie potentially being over-matched and opting instead for a veteran that they know will be overmatched. :huh:

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
From what we’ve seen of Butler recently I really don’t know that he’s an NHL quality defenseman. The Jets may have a field day with that pairing.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Yet...they're still considering running Chris Butler out on the ice against that same Jets forward group. Seems like they're rewarding Butler for being a good team-first guy from STL, otherwise it's a matter of mgmt worrying about a rookie potentially being over-matched and opting instead for a veteran that they know will be overmatched. :huh:

Either pick the guy who has played 400 games in the NHL and knows how to simplify his game or pick the 22 year old rookie who has no idea what he is in for and is about to face the fastest team in the league.

Not a difficult decision in my book.

Let Mikkola start the next one vs. Chicago.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
Butler over Mikkola

Hitch Still as a coach?

I see Mikkola - Schmaltz would have been better choice. Mikkola is far better at d-zone and easily upgrade of Butler. Schmaltz is superior with transition game and Mikkola would have complete Schmaltz's weakness defensive game.

We shouldn't even talk about Butler should play when we've players like Mikkola or Walman. They both are superio players in all 3-zones, no matter how much veteran Butler is. Leg speed, 1vs1 play, d-zone play, passing. I dont believe how well Mikkola and Walman performed at pre-season coaching staff would have knowledged where players are at.

Agreed with Ranksu on this one... 100% support this post. Butler looked out of place last year when he was called up..

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Jets fan.

Mainly because Ehlers, Little, and Laine didn't work well last year. It only really clicked with Stastny there.

That fourth line is basically a third offensive line. With two rookies, they will get sheltered minutes.

The line with Lowry at center is a shutdown line.

Jet's fan you say? I'm gonna give you to the count of 10, to get your ugly, yella, no-good keister off our forum...
before I pump your guts full of lead!

1... 2... 10!
qig950.gif

/teasing

Here's to a great season and race to the top of the Central division standings. Hopefully we'll let Rd 2 of the playoffs determine who has the better team!

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Butler over Mikkola

Hitch Still as a coach?

Its not official. Blanick based it off pairs in practice. Mikkola was paired with Bortuzzo who can't play due to suspension. So assuming the pairs stick, Schmlatz was paired with Butler. But, it could just be to have a vet with a rookie during practice. Mikkola could get the call or Edmundson could be able to go.

I don't think many would disagree with you on Mikkola > Butler, even us Finnish-haters. But we already have 4 rookies and 2 guys with < 100 games starting. Thats a full 1/3 of our skaters. That's a ton of youth. Its possible they just wanted that extra vet presence Butler brings (about all he brings now a days).

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
It's risky to dress an abundance of rookies against a top team like the Jets. At the same time, it's also risky to dress Butler at all. My hunch is that even though the game has passed Butler, the coaching staff would rather have his veteran presence out there over an unproven rookie in Mikkola.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
It's risky to dress an abundance of rookies against a top team like the Jets. At the same time, it's also risky to dress Butler at all. My hunch is that even though the game has passed Butler, the coaching staff would rather have his veteran presence out there over an unproven rookie in Mikkola.

Bingo. Not too mention Schmaltz is looking like the righty on the 3rd pairing. He's got 22 sheltered NHL games under his belt.

I could understand pairing Mikkola with Bortuzzo for this one. Put a vet with a 1st game rookie. But Mikkola with Schmaltz vs. the fastest, most skilled forward group in the West? Gulp.

I'm not thrilled about Butler ever playing but it makes sense here, all things considered.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I'd really rather have Mikkola or a gimpy Eddy on the 3rd pairing with Schmaltz. Butler just isn't an NHL player anymore.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I'd really rather have Mikkola or a gimpy Eddy on the 3rd pairing with Schmaltz. Butler just isn't an NHL player anymore.
Agreed, this is frustrating.

I already foresee the pizza he’s gonna toss up the middle right on scheifeles stick

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Butler doesn't belong in the NHL level anymore. He was bad last season when he get called up and there is reason him not getting more icetime at NHL level.

Ehlers will skate circles around Butler.

Intersting to see how many goals are going to come Butler's mistake/turnover. I predict 2.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

I've waited so long this season to just start with high hopes and everything was nicely set and nothing can upset me, but wow Yeo can really pull right strings to get me f***ing mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad