GDT: Game #1 Sharks @ Kings - Buckaroo Banzai Edition - 7:30 PM PDT NBCSN KFOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
That was fun. Not very often do you see the Sharks keep the foot on the gas and outshoot the other team in the 3rd with the lead.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
It's only 1 game, but holy crap that was refreshing. Laundry list of positives out of this one. Full 60 minute effort even with a large lead, PK was perfect, great PP movement and chances, players were actually screening Quick. Jones settled in nicely and looked great. Immense defensive puck pressure, especially on backchecking. It sure is nice not being hemmed in the defensive zone. Let's see if we can consistently play this way and pressure the puck.

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
Vlasic on postgame radio interview:

- very good game, could've been like "oh crap, it's over now" after the goal, but they stuck to their system, a new system that's fun
- new system is similar to what he played at the Olympics, it's in your face, gives no time for opponents to make plays, D pinch, forwards support, play in their zone, you shoot, you get rewarded
- PK is aggressive, if you're passive then good players will make plays, and of course Jones-y will have to make saves because they're a man short, sometimes they'll make good plays when you're aggressive, but the more you're aggressive, the more likely you'll be successful
- didn't see play well but looks like Lucic got hipchecked, Cooch had a big smile, Lucic skated all the way across to ice to target a player and hit him in the head, Vlasic had to support his teammate
- didn't see the Dustin Brown hit, but he's sure the league will look at Lucic and make the right call
- [shooting the puck a lot in his mindset?] worked in offseason to get shots off quicker and harder, one of his objectives this year is to shoot it more, which will get him rewarded more, and he got a goal and an assist but they gave it to Hertl even though he didn't touch it [see, I knew Hertl didn't get it lol]

Pavelski on TV postgame interview:

- they played aggressively, they're excited to play after that long offseason, they'll be able to build off a lot of good things tonight
- different energy from start of training camp, could feel the energy and that guys were fitting in right away, they love playing the game
- [on captaincy] exciting, great opportunity, but there's so many guys in the room with experience that you can lean on, it's a group effort, they believe that they're close, there will be ups and downs, but it's a tremendous feeling

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Vlasic's like doing a total teardown of McLellan's system right there in that postgame interview.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
What a blast of a game to watch. My optimism will steadily increase with more games like this. I think the nicest thing was the solid performance from Jones, that was probably my biggest question coming in. Can't wait for game 2!

WineShark

Nov 19, 2006
Napa Valley, CA
Several positives versus last year but the one I liked the best was they kept playing with a lead and didn't let up. Time and time again last year they coasted with a lead and lost games.

I noticed the Kings did the Sutter approach to a blow out and tried to send a message at the end. I remember when he was Sharks coach, his approach was good for a talented young team. It didn't work for an older team. That's what the Kings looked like tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad