Post-Game Talk: Game #1: Sharks defeat Canucks 4-1 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Count me in as one "who wasn't paying attention last year". I saw a good level puck skill, high hockey IQ, very good speed, and a stocky frame. He's already at a utility level and I would have him on my team than Richardson. Tenacity is a key factor, but it isn't the only factor. If it were, there's no way he projects in the first round in 2009. Yeah, disagree all around.
Then he will do extremely well in Europe. My opinion is that, on a smaller ice surface, in this division, with some of the mammoths teams like Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose and Phoenix ice, on a team where he is needed in a checking role for the foreseeable future, he is never going to be more than a fringe scoring winger at best. Think Mathieu Perreault, a player of similar stature and skill.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
I think Schroeder has what it takes to stick in the 3c spot and do some damage. I thought he showed flashes of what he can do last year and will be able to take the next step this year. He jsut turned 23 a few days ago. I dont see him having topped out, skill wise.

arsmaster*

Putting Havlat on the 1st line definitely sways things, because people remember what he looked like 3-4 years ago.

He's no better or less injury prone than Booth.

-----

Nieto? What's he done to be better than Schroeder? Nothing. I don't even see him as an NHL player and last night did nothing to change my opinion.

King of the ES*

Realistically, there was very little chance the Canucks were going to win this game. The Sharks had beat them nine times in a row and the Canucks are probably going to struggle a bit at the start of the season while implementing a new system.

I actually thought the Canucks were going to win.

First game with a new coach, in a place where they're long due to get a win, and with the Sharks missing a couple of notable Canuck-killers (Burish, Torres).

The fact that we lost 4-1, where our best player was the goalie, should be pretty scary to everyone.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Totally agree.

"Tortorella Effect" = ZERO. It's the same damn team.

Well we all knew that after watching Gillis this summer, it's the same team with less depth. This is the sixth try for this group, they've made it out of the second round one time and as of right now this is the worst of the 6 teams IMO. Our top players will be gassed long before they even make the playoffs.

But at least we have hockey to watch even though we know what the outcome will be this season.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

First game with a new coach, in a place where they're long due to get a win, and with the Sharks missing a couple of notable Canuck-killers (Burish, Torres).

The fact that we lost 4-1, where our best player was the goalie, should be pretty scary to everyone.

Because Burish and Torres weren't in the line-up? Because they were "long due" for a win?

Uh huh. Terrifying. And totally unexpected that you'd feel that way! :sarcasm:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Totally agree.

Agreed. I expected all of his effects to have already taken place and for everything to change immediately! I am incensed! Outraged! Bold-texted to the extreme!

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Totally agree.

Give Tort's some time. The biggest issue imo, has been the sheer lack of desire to do anything it takes to win. The last couple years have been tough to watch.

The Canucks as a whole, have been to busy smiling and shaking hands with the media this offseason. Once Tort's gets pissed, hopefully this will do the same to the team, and they might try as a group.

Last night was the Luongo show, and I am glad we had someone show up last night. Once the whole team starts playing as a team, and everyone putting in 100 percent, I am sure the Canucks will be competitive at the very least.:handclap:

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007

Who cares what you thought. Take a peak in the pre-game thread and you'll see a majority of people calling a loss.

SJ is primed to win the west.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I stopped watching after the second, did I miss any good dives in the third? Or was there just Pavelski's epic whiplash on our powerplay?

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Give Tort's some time. The biggest issue imo, has been the sheer lack of desire to do anything it takes to win. The last couple years have been tough to watch.

The Canucks as a whole, have been to busy smiling and shaking hands with the media this offseason. Once Tort's gets pissed, hopefully this will do the same to the team, and they might try as a group.

Last night was the Luongo show, and I am glad we had someone show up last night. Once the whole team starts playing as a team, and everyone putting in 100 percent, I am sure the Canucks will be competitive at the very least.:handclap:

He can get pissed all he wants but if he has a poorly built team it won't make any difference. Gillis got Torts so he can say look it was the first year with a new coach we'll be better next year because he knows where this team is going this year. It was just enough to make most fans forget the fact the team got worse, they seem to think Torts can perform magic but from what I've seen he's just going to wear down our top players and cost us late in the season. There is lots of "I hope" and "maybe" being thrown around here.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton

Agreed. Fight and compete are very important, and something that has seemingly disapeared since that game in Boston two Januarys ago. I dont know if we truely have what it takes to make it all the way this year, but it always was going to be a transition year with the drastically lowered cap.

I know looking for patience from this fan base is hopeless, as we are all frustrated with our long, storied history of post season failure. That is no reason to look at the first regular season game of the season utilizing a new system, under a new coach and predict total, unmittigated disaster overall, especially when we are missing two players who will shift the dynamic of the bottom 6. Or we could put the Sedins on the 4th line and permanently solve the bottom six issue. :sarcasm:

King of the ES*

Because Burish and Torres weren't in the line-up? Because they were "long due" for a win?

Uh huh. Terrifying. And totally unexpected that you'd feel that way! :sarcasm:

Burish and Torres are important players for the Sharks. Burish has gotten under the Canucks' skin since his days on the Hawks. Torres scored some big goals against the Canucks last year, and is always a factor, despite your unwillingness to admit it.

And you can ignore the warning signs all you want, I think they're pretty obvious and apparent, though. A 4-1 loss with a new -- read: hyped -- coach, in G1? Don't think that happens very often.

yoss

May 25, 2011
One encouraging thing to me last night was how dangerous Daniel looked with the puck at times. I remember plenty of games last year he was barely noticeable. That one move where he faked cutting to the net then threw it behind his back to himself blew my mind.

Higgins had a rough game, but so did Hamuis and others. I honestly never remember Higgins giving up a puck like that, so imo every player makes a mistake every so often and I'm not all that concerned.

I do hope our other lines can generate more offense, but the Sedin line looked invigorated to me last night. People that talk about wanting to trade the twins are out of their minds imo.

Could have gone either way early on imo. Was really hoping they'd score a second goal or I knew it would be trouble.

PS - please keep Garrison on the PP.

King of the ES*

Agreed. I expected all of his effects to have already taken place and for everything to change immediately! I am incensed! Outraged! Bold-texted to the extreme!

How long do they need? Torts was hired in June. He's had all summer. This isn't a mid-season change.

Seriously, the "give it time" excuse shouldn't have very long legs.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

Did you though? Really? Because here are a few things you've said in the past few days -- and these are only from the first page of posts:

I'd rather have Mason Raymond than David Booth, yes. Raymond's been the whipping boy here for two years, but that attention would've been directed at Booth, certainly, if he wasn't always injured.

Congratulations to Mason Raymond for scoring his first goal as a Maple Leaf.

Good player, who the Canucks easily should've invested in over Chris Higgins.

Absolutely horrendous bottom-six, especially the third line, which needs to be counted on to at least produce something. Does anybody have any confidence in that 3rd line?! Just awful. [....] Some very serious disaster potential exists for this team, this year, IMO.

Personally, I think we're already in that nether-region of mediocrity.

-on Luongo, he doesn't want to be here. So there's that hanging over this organization's head, which probably needs to be dealt with over the course of the next year.

-on our D core, the "by committee" strategy hasn't really worked, historically. You need that one (or two) stud(s), who can play multiple minutes, in multiple situations, a do-all type. I don't think we have that guy. We don't have that star defenceman.

Richardson played in only 16 games with the Kings last year, Santorelli only 10 with the Jets. Not sure how anybody can be remotely excited about the way that our bottom-six looks. Hell, anything but the top line, really, IMO.

Most of his trades have been downright bad. So I'd argue that the team's been successful in spite of Mike Gillis, rather than because of him.

So you think anything but the top line sucks, the defensive group isn't good enough, Luongo doesn't want to be here which is "hanging over the organization's head" and needs to be dealt with, every player Gillis has let go is apparently better than any player that's been brought in, and the team has been successful inspite of the GM. There's not a single positive comment there, or -- I'd wager -- anywhere in the ten pages of posts before that. Your only positive comments are for former Canucks when they score.

And we're supposed to believe you thought the Canucks would win last night?

Gosh, I'm not sure I believe you.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
How long do they need? Torts was hired in June. He's had all summer. This isn't a mid-season change.

Seriously, the "give it time" excuse shouldn't have very long legs.

He may have been hired in June, but they have only been working on the system for what, two weeks? I agree it shouldn't be an excuse we hear past games 15-20, but there needs to be at least some time for the team to get it.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
He may have been hired in June, but they have only been working on the system for what, two weeks? I agree it shouldn't be an excuse we hear past games 15-20, but there needs to be at least some time for the team to get it.

Don't that happen with every new coach on a new team......

King of the ES*

So you think anything but the top line sucks, the defensive group isn't good enough, Luongo doesn't want to be here which is "hanging over the organization's head" and needs to be dealt with, every player Gillis has let go is apparently better than any player that's been brought in, and the team has been successful inspite of the GM. There's not a single positive comment there, or -- I'd wager -- anywhere in the ten pages of posts before that. Your only positive comments are for former Canucks when they score.

And we're supposed to believe you thought the Canucks would win last night?

Gosh, I'm not sure I believe you.

Well, I was never expecting them to go 0-82.

I did think they'd win last night, yes. Amazing that SJ has now managed to win 10 in a row against this team.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
I did think they'd win last night, yes. Amazing that SJ has now managed to win 10 in a row against this team.

Why is that "amazing"? Streaks like this happen in sports all the time.

If we'd gone 0-10 against the Rochester Ice Hawks or something maybe I could give you "amazing".

arsmaster*

I stopped watching after the second, did I miss any good dives in the third? Or was there just Pavelski's epic whiplash on our powerplay?

Head gets pushed down, but it whips back....I'll never get that. San Jose always gets the calls.

I don't recall any egregious dives or embellishements, but San Jose is pretty good at milking calls out of the zebras. Drives me bananas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad