Post-Game Talk: Game #1: Sharks defeat Canucks 4-1 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
He would have improved defensively, no doubt about it, and would have ensured this team had some secondary scoring.

I don't see how you can say this when we're watching him play in Buffalo and he's just completely atrocious defensively.

BeardedCanuck

Oct 13, 2012
Anyone have any links to any post game video, can't find any, or do they only do it for home games?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Know who would look good on that second line? Cam Neely centre by Gilbert Perreault.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Hodgson would be great for secondary scoring if he was willing to accept ice time commensurate to his 2 way abilities (i.e. 3rd line EV minutes with heavy PP time) but he wasn't, even as a rookie.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I don't see how you can say this when we're watching him play in Buffalo and he's just completely atrocious defensively.

I believe he would have improved defensively. I never suggested he would become a two way stud. I haven't really watched him in Buffalo but I have heard that he's been terrible defensively. That doesn't mean he can't improve to the point where he's not a liability and the offensive ability he brings trumps his lack of defensive abilities.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
This was the first time I've seen him play and I actually thought he played pretty well. He made a couple of nice plays with the puck in his own zone. At this point I'd certainly put him ahead of Alberts and Weber on the depth chart.

I've seen a couple people around here describe him as an agitator in the AHL, but he didn't really show that element of his game tonight. Hopefully that's an element of his game we will see more often going forward.
Stanton looked positive.*

He skated well, made good decisions with the puck. Didn't make any obvious mistakes, and was rewarded with a PK shift near the end of the game.*

Had a few shifts where he and Tanev were pinned in their zone, but so did everyone tonight. Was on for the Braun screened goal but wasn't really a factor in the play.*

Looks like an upgrade on Alberts, and look forward to seeing more of him.

He didn't stand out in a glaring way which I think is good but the few times he had the puck I thought he made the simple play, and he did make that through-the-legs back pass in his own end to get the puck moving. Didn't expect that from him!

Of course it's only 1 game but I thought he already looked better than Alberts, which doesn't bode well for the latter...

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I believe he would have improved defensively. I never suggested he would become a two way stud. I haven't really watched him in Buffalo but I have heard that he's been terrible defensively. That doesn't mean he can't improve to the point where he's not a liability and the offensive ability he brings doesn't trump his lack of defensive abilities.

So he's going to do that by like, next week?

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
So he's going to do that by like, next week?

Huh? What? I meant that if things had worked out in Vancouver I'm pretty sure he would have gradually improved in his own end. Maybe he's not getting the right coaching in Buffalo. I don't know. All I know is that one of the good qualities of this organization is that they've been able to develop players from their system well. AV and his staff deserve a nod for that. I do believe that Hodgson would have improved his play in his own end if he wasn't traded. That's all I'm trying to say.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Some of you trash Hodgson now, but when that trade happened EVERYONE was shocked and I don't recall anyone wanting him off the team up to that point. If he really is such a one dimensional player that wouldn't help this team, why didn't I hear anyone saying that before?

Admit it, everyone here was excited about Hodgson before he was traded, even if he was being sheltered and brought along slowly. Almost everyone believed he was going to be one of the staples of the next era of this team. So please, cut it out with the "Hodgson's terrible, we don't miss him" act. Get real. He would have improved defensively, no doubt about it, and would have ensured this team had some secondary scoring.

It's funny though: Kassian, the return the Canucks got for Hodgson, gets a free pass for all his deficiencies, though, and it's simply because he's the one wearing a Canucks jersey right now.

No one is giving Kassian a pass. We are simply highlighting the flaws in Hodgson's game because he was enormously overrated here. We are talking Price equating Roy degrees of overrated. There is little need to reference Kassian's deficiencies when a vocal portion of this board takes every opportunity to specify them ad nauseum.

We do not miss him. Talented or not, he is no longer a Vancouver Canuck and most of us have moved on. Living in past delusions is the habit of a very vocal minority. Were we excited about the possibility of his accession in the lineup? Sure, just as we are about Kassian, who is routinely underrated or outright lambasted for having the audacity of not being our lord and savior, Godson.

Citing Hodgson as a defensive liability is merely an accurate analysis, especially when the context of many posts who insist on mentioning him, insinuate he would be useful in a defensive role, i.e. a third line centre.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
I also think it's worth noting that the Sharks were 17-2-5 on home ice last season. Playing the Sharks at home is reminiscent of playing in Detroit a few years ago, a highly skilled offensive team that benefits from an absurd amount of power plays, including at least one 5-on-3 every game.

Realistically, there was very little chance the Canucks were going to win this game. The Sharks had beat them nine times in a row and the Canucks are probably going to struggle a bit at the start of the season while implementing a new system.

That being said, there were some disturbing trends. Outside of the Sedins-Burrows line, no one could generate any sort of consistent offensive pressure. Outside of Stanton, the new depth guys (Richardson, Dalpe, Santorelli) all looked over matched almost every time they were on the ice. I think people are fooling themselves if they think the Canucks have the offensive firepower to compete in the West.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Huh? What? I meant that if things had worked out in Vancouver I'm pretty sure he would have gradually improved in his own end. Maybe he's not getting the right coaching in Buffalo. I don't know. All I know is that one of the good qualities of this organization is that they've been able to develop players from their system well. AV and his staff deserve a nod for that. I do believe that Hodgson would have improved his play in his own end if he wasn't traded. That's all I'm trying to say.

It's all irrelevant anyway; guy simply didn't want to be here.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Looking at the shot attempt numbers I can see why Tanev had so many blocked shots. He (and Stanton) got absolutely slaughtered out there. The team was outshot 17-3 with Tanev on the ice and in terms of shot attempts it was 28-7. Might be more of a function of who they were on the ice with though.

In terms of possession numbers, the top 6 and top 4 did fairly well (the Sharks didn't even register a shot with H. Sedin on the ice) while the depth players got murdered.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
The whole team looked like hot garbage tonight. But it's one game, against a team that's had our number for a bit now.

Our days as a SC contender are clearly over, due to Gillis, but that doesn't mean we can't still cheer on our team.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Looking at the shot attempt numbers I can see why Tanev had so many blocked shots. He (and Stanton) got absolutely slaughtered out there. The team was outshot 17-3 with Tanev on the ice and in terms of shot attempts it was 28-7. Might be more of a function of who they were on the ice with though.

In terms of possession numbers, the top 6 and top 4 did fairly well (the Sharks didn't even register a shot with H. Sedin on the ice) while the depth players got murdered.

I thought I noticed it was often the 3rd and 4th lines who were out there with them when we were getting hemmed in our own zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia