Post-Game Talk: Game #1: Sharks defeat Canucks 4-1 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
The fact that Tortorella felt he couldn't play his fourth line more than 3 or 4 minutes was kind of ugly.

To be fair, he had a completely new, recent addition to the team in Dalpe and then Sestito (#13/#14) and Weise (#12) on his wings. It's not exactly a line you throw out there in an away game against a team that has given you trouble for years when even your top players are still learning the system.

arsmaster*

To be fair, he had a completely new, recent addition to the team in Dalpe and then Sestito (#13/#14) and Weise (#12) on his wings. It's not exactly a line you throw out there in an away game against a team that has given you trouble for years when even your top players are still learning the system.

Weise is an adequate PKer though, he should have been getting ice-time there.

I don't want to see Daniel Sedin not knowing how to block shots stand 12 feet away from 90mph clappers. He will get injured.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Really, I think the game boiled down to two elements, three counting stupid penalties, that bit us.

One: A new system, where in our top players play top minutes, even if they weren't earned per se with play last night. Kesler wasn't using his line mates, the Sedins were cycling far too long waiting for the perfect shot, our PP (short of the goal) didn't seem to be timed as well as it should be (Hamhuis coughing up a 2 on 0, lack of shots, lack of chances that weren't due to a fluke). This will take time. Torts and the coaching staff hardly started with the systems and offensive element to the game by the end of preseason, no team and no player on earth will simply grasp that.

Two: Our players failed to hit the net with alarming frequency. I expect a few big blueline shots to go errant, but I noticed Burrows, Daniel, Kesler, Hank, Hansen, Booth and Richardson missing shots at point blank too. Empty net with Niemi out of place, and the rebound or the one timer misses the net.

Two point Five: This isn't counting the posts, those are 1/16th of an inch from going in. One or two bounces and we'd have been in it.

In both cases, it's opening night, in a rivals building, against a team that has had our number in recent games...relax. We can recover in the following 81 games.

Three: Stupid penalties killed what ever momentum we built up. Weise, Kesler, Garrison, Daniel and that bench minors being key penalties that stood out to me as helping to ruin our comeback. The PK I have no real issue with, but its tough to score a man down.

This was the most unforgivable factor to me. Don't hook, don't hit the head, don't prematurely jump onto the ice. Everyone has bad nights though.

TL;DR: First game and we just had a huge change over this offseason, against a cup favourite this year. It happens, we can lose a game and still be contenders.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Not shocked, the majority of us were predicting a 3-1 or 4-1 loss. SJ will win the division, possibly even the west to be honest. They're really strong.

I think we were good enough to beat most teams, but just not SJ. They play us hard and well.

My biggest concern is Edler and Bieksa. One of those guys should have been traded in the off season. We've seen their below average play for too long. How can Gillis be so blind to it? Well they were on full display again last night and the longer the rest of the league has to become of it, the less we'll be able to get back in a trade. Disaster.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Not shocked, the majority of us were predicting a 3-1 or 4-1 loss. SJ will win the division, possibly even the west to be honest. They're really strong.

I think we were good enough to beat most teams, but just not SJ. They play us hard and well.

My biggest concern is Edler and Bieksa. One of those guys should have been traded in the off season. We've seen their below average play for too long. How can Gillis be so blind to it? Well they were on full display again last night and the longer the rest of the league has to become of it, the less we'll be able to get back in a trade. Disaster.

Edler was really good in the preseason. Tonight wasn't his best game, but I'm still expecting him to have a great year.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Man, Kesler had a really, really good night - 17 CF/5 CA. I realize he's lost a bit of speed but man, that is dominant possession.

Be nice if we had more than one proven NHLer in the bottom 6.

NonBruinHatingCanuck

May 28, 2011
Stanton was a pleasant surprise last night. Edler however.....:rant::rant::rant:

San Jose is a good team and the game was alot closer then 4-1

Luongo played awesome!:yo::yo:

Im not going to hit the panic button

Seriously tho about Edler that stupid first drop pass he did right to Pavelski..

Dont have a ton to say other then we better beat the Oilers on saturday they will be pissed too.

HiggsBroson

Feb 2, 2010
So I went back and watched the game again. The Canucks didn't play a bad game really considering a few things:
A new coach
A new system
On the road against a talented team

Loungo played well. Edler was a little off. The PP looks solid. Sorry about Chris' gaffe. I'll try to get his contract voided.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
The Canucks just don't have enough quality top six scoring forwards to compete with the likes of San Jose or LA. It's quite obvious and plain as day for Mike Gillis to see!!

The line-up is chalked full of bottom six forwards trying to play top six minutes.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
So I went back and watched the game again. The Canucks didn't play a bad game really considering a few things:
A new coach
A new system

Loungo played well. Edler was a little off. The PP looks solid. Sorry about Chris' gaffe. I'll try to get his contract voided.

I laughed. I thought the game was fine as well, if disappointing.

On the bright side, I thought Chris (I prefer to call him "Higgins", but that might seem weird to you) had an excellent game until that one moment. I was actually thinking about how effective he'd been about 30 seconds before that. Then as that play developed I was like, "Nooo... Noooooo. Get the puck out -- CTHULHU SAVE US.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
A new coach
A new system

Thanks for looking into that for us. Jk man we love Higgy :)

HiggsBroson

Feb 2, 2010
I laughed. I thought the game was fine as well, if disappointing.

On the bright side, I thought Chris (I prefer to call him "Higgins", but that might seem weird to you) had an excellent game until that one moment. I was actually thinking about how effective he'd been about 30 seconds before that. Then as that play developed I was like, "Nooo... Noooooo. Get the puck out -- CTHULHU SAVE US.[/QUOTE

I called a poster an a-hole last night cause his sarcasm pissed me off. But it was a costly play. I thought he looked fine too just a bonehead play. The team is going to lose games. It happens. Coulda been worse, coulda been better. Bounce back on Saturday. 81 left in the season

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
IMO, should have traded Edler before his NTC kicked in.

I see him as someone who folds under Torts once the pressure is applied based on his personality.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
It's pretty difficult to make any pronoucements about this team after one road game against a difficult appointment.

That said, this team's main issue last year was a lack of scoring depth, and I don't see where they've improved in that area.

The Canucks did play a more aggresive brand of hockey at times, which I think is a positive. I liked the willingness to pay a price physically, and I thought the PK was well organized. Beyond the first line, though, I don't know where the goals are coming from.

I hope Jensen and Schroeder will be ready to make an impact at some point this season, because our forward group is decidedly uninspiring.

It's frustrating that the GM continues to fail to address the team's biggest need.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
Good:
Luongo
Sedins
Burrows

Okay:
Kesler

Bad:
Hamhuis
Garrison (even though he scored..got caught standing still all night)
Richardson - Just looks a step slower than everyone else

Meh:
Rest of the team

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I called a poster an a-hole last night cause his sarcasm pissed me off. But it was a costly play. I thought he looked fine too just a bonehead play. The team is going to lose games. It happens. Coulda been worse, coulda been better. Bounce back on Saturday. 81 left in the season

I don't know who the poster was, but I'm pretty confident saying that you were right about the person being an a-hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad