Post-Game Talk: Game #1: Sharks defeat Canucks 4-1 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
that's what happens when you take 3 players who last season played a combined 38 games and scored a combined 2 goals and make them into your 3rd line.

Richardson is not a 3rd liner and is a 13th forward in any cup contending team.

i am not gonna even talk about the 4th line they didn't even play past 3 min tonight it seems.

I think guys will slowly get bumped down once Kassian and Schroeder come back into the lineup. Richardson to me is more suited to be a 4th liner, and I don't expect Sestito to be a regular either. This roster barring injury is not going to be the one that goes into the playoffs.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
As per usual, it comes down to depth. An area this team has bizarrely ignored for several years now. Santorelli, Dalpe..Richardson are all crap. We are going nowhere with other teams castoffs.

Perhaps this year will be the year that this organization finally realizes that depth is important - however given how Pejorative Slured each and every decision has been since 2011 I highly doubt it.

No cap space.

Cool Hand Goof*

wasnt good but i saw it coming , sharks looked deadly as they did when they started off last season

but an 82 game season seems to bring them back to reality

hopefully we can bounce back sat

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
The whole team looked like hot garbage tonight. But it's one game, against a team that's had our number for a bit now.

Our days as a SC contender are clearly over, due to Gillis, but that doesn't mean we can't still cheer on our team.

I dunno, I thought they looked really good by the halfway mark of the 2nd. If they had pushed back in the second half of the game instead of getting ragdolled they way they did, we all would have been praising the effort in this game, without exception.

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
You gotta love how everybody was expecting a loss and saying the Sharks have our number etc. and then we all freak out when we lose :laugh:

#CanucksFans

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Funny how this board went full CDC. Lost game one of the season. Pretty much shut er down and better luck next year. :laugh:

It wasn't that bad. There are positives to take from this game. The PP looked dangerous at times, the PK was spectacular, Luongo played great (which he usually does on opening night).

The bottom six didnt look great, but we are missing Kassian and Schroeder. I'm not saying these two will be the saviours of the season, more that the season doesn't yet need saving.

Heck, bottom line, at least the game was entertaining. And, after all, isn't that the whole point? :yo:

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Funny how this board went full CDC. Lost game one of the season. Pretty much shut er down and better luck next year. :laugh:

It wasn't that bad. There are positives to take from this game. The PP looked dangerous at times, the PK was spectacular, Luongo played great (which he usually does on opening night).

The bottom six didnt look great, but we are missing Kassian and Schroeder. I'm not saying these two will be the saviours of the season, more that the season doesn't yet need saving.

Heck, bottom line, at least the game was entertaining. And, after all, isn't that the whole point? :yo:

Yeah, it's never quite so black and white. When they return they'll shore up the 3rd line, which shifts guys like Richardson and Santorelli down to the 4th line, making the bottom 6 better.

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
Same story. SJ is VERY GOOD in their home rink. (and not just against the Canucks)
Penalty trouble, and very strong defensive play by the Sharks
(which was one of the stories of their turnaround)

Although Sharks didn't score on the PP, constantly being on PK didn't help with momentum at all.
Sharks out-chanced us greatly. Usually higher chance of losing when you do that.

Some pretty savage turnovers/odd-man rushes on our part. They capitalized.

It wasn't THAT long ago that pundits said SJ were one and done, too old, and well past their prime.

SJ adapted to their new system last year. Took a bit. They're a well-oiled machine now.
Our team is still finding our way. Chill out.

How bout Tanev and dat flow? lollol

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
that's what happens when you take 3 players who last season played a combined 38 games and scored a combined 2 goals and make them into your 3rd line.

Richardson is not a 3rd liner and is a 13th forward in any cup contending team.

i am not gonna even talk about the 4th line they didn't even play past 3 min tonight it seems.

I was just going to post the part in bold. Look, people need to come to grips with where this team is at this stage, reshape their expectations, and understand it doesn't mean everybody who expresses a realistic yet negative opinion of the team and it's management isn't a Canucks fan. Just hope the Sedins and Kesler have gas in the tank by the time Horvat and Shinkaruk are ready to contribute at a high level. The rest of their prospects are mostly 2nd tier at best, every team can list similar or better depth prospects, so get used to them looking to salvage failed prospects from other teams like Dalpe. Some may work, most won't. They may make the playoffs, they may not.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
This line up really needed hunter to make the team.

booth - Santorelli - Richardson
Sestito - Dalpe - Weise.

Is this real life.

Higgins , Hansen top 6

:facepalm:

Even wit Kassian and Schroeder in the line up, we are still in trouble. They haven't proven anything.

Last edited:

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I saw a lot of lazy carry over from last season's AV team. How many giveaways did Van give up when on the PP? Too many. It will take some time for Torts and his staff to weed out the mistakes that became part of AV's system. I will be interested in seeing how the team does when Kassian gets back because I thought there were a cpl of guys playing above where they should be. Our 3rd line last night is at best a 4th line. I think before the season is half way done GMMG is going to have to address the depth on the bottom 3. In my opinion our bottom 3 guys are AHLers and we're not going to be a top team with them rolling out there for 5-6mins a game. I also don't know if I like the Sedin's on the PK. Not because they can't do it, but because they looked like they were out of gas near the end of the game.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
You gotta love how everybody was expecting a loss and saying the Sharks have our number etc. and then we all freak out when we lose :laugh:

#CanucksFans

We don't freak out... we are just tired of seeing the same **** that cost us two playoffs from this team over and over without any change.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
A few positives from the game...

- Luongo. He definitely came to play and gave the team a chance to win,
- The PK. Excellent work all around.
- The Twins/Burrows, I felt, were our best forward line. Generated chances and were more effective than most on special teams.
- Thought Stanton had a solid debut.

Our bottom six got pretty badly ventilated last night. The fact that Tortorella felt he couldn't play his fourth line more than 3 or 4 minutes was kind of ugly. Santorelli and Richardson are two guys who I think would be well suited to the fourth line, and I hope that is where they end up when Kassian and Schroeder are healthy again.

On to Edmonton and - shudder - Mark Lee's PBP.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Edler and Hamhuis had really rough games. Almost all the goals against were the direct result of gaffes. Higgins had a decent game up until that horrendous giveaway in our zone that ended up in the back of our net.

No need to panic, however. We always seem to be slow out of the gate, often hovering around the .500 mark for the first 10-20 games.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
No need to panic, however. We always seem to be slow out of the gate, often hovering around the .500 mark for the first 10-20 games.

I believe Canuck fans are pissed off that they will witness the same thing in the playoffs and end up with a 15-24 1st round pick.

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
That effort was good enough to get a win VS. a lot of teams, but the Sharks aren't just any team.
Larry Robinson really has done an amazing job on the Sharks D, they just look so solid.

It's pretty obvious the Canucks are still struggling to get used to Torts system, they'll get better. Let's see how they look over the weekend VS the Oilers & Flames.

Forward depth is pretty scary atm, Torts doesn't even have anyone to swap into the lineup if he didn't want to play someone.
Kassian back will help & there's just no way I don't see Schroeder getting a serious chance to prove himself once he's healthy.

I can see our D scoring a lot of points this year once everyone's used to the system & they really get rolling.

The sky isn't falling. No need to schedule a fire sale just yet.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I haven't read anything else yet, so I may be repeating popular opinion, but I thought the problems with the team were really obvious last night:

1. Bieksa and Edler were both, in turns, terrible last night (edit: not for the whole night, but for stretches of play). Each brought their respective partner down several pegs. I'm still not convinced you can have a top 4 with both of those guys in it, as it seriously reduces the flexibility of the line-up.

2. Canucks didn't seal any lanes in the neutral zone. The Canucks forecheck was fine, but the top forward didn't seem to know when to/not to gamble. Once the Sharks got to the neutral zone, there often wasn't a high forward to seal off the passing/skating lanes and push play to the sidewall. And when there was, the defense was playing very soft and subsequently being attacked with speed all night. That's something I expect Tortorella to iron out.

Beyond that, I thought Luongo looked good, despite the four goals. Niemi was sharp. Canucks powerplay was abysmal with the exception of Garrison. Daniel Sedin passed up four or five great shots for low percentage passes. Booth looked okay. Team needs a third-line centre.

Last edited:

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
A few positives from the game...

- Luongo. He definitely came to play and gave the team a chance to win,
- The PK. Excellent work all around.
- The Twins/Burrows, I felt, were our best forward line. Generated chances and were more effective than most on special teams.
- Thought Stanton had a solid debut.

Our bottom six got pretty badly ventilated last night. The fact that Tortorella felt he couldn't play his fourth line more than 3 or 4 minutes was kind of ugly. Santorelli and Richardson are two guys who I think would be well suited to the fourth line, and I hope that is where they end up when Kassian and Schroeder are healthy again.

On to Edmonton and - shudder - Mark Lee's PBP.

Yeah, I think Luongo was our best player for most of the night. He is going to be just fine this season. I have serious doubts about our bottom half though. I think this is going to be a tougher season then a lot of our fans realize or want to admit. You can't be successful relying on 3 lines all season long. Guys will run out of gas and we have an olderish team. I don't think the playoffs are a guarantee like years past.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Also, Dalpe barely played but I actually thought he looked okay. He got some pucks on net, got the puck in deep, and did what you want of a 4th liner.

I know Weise's peripheral numbers are good and he's been effective in the past, but to end last year and to start last night, he just looks like a guy that's losing the plot to me. I'd almost prefer something like Richardson/Santo/Dalpe as the 4th line when everyone is healthy.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Looking at the shot attempt numbers I can see why Tanev had so many blocked shots. He (and Stanton) got absolutely slaughtered out there. The team was outshot 17-3 with Tanev on the ice and in terms of shot attempts it was 28-7. Might be more of a function of who they were on the ice with though.

In terms of possession numbers, the top 6 and top 4 did fairly well (the Sharks didn't even register a shot with H. Sedin on the ice) while the depth players got murdered.

I think that's what happens with Tanev when he's not protected. He's an adequate defenseman, but he looked weak and overmatched last night. Just watching them, I didn't think Stanton was that bad, but they both basically have the same game: get the puck deep in the defensize zone, take a hit every time they have the puck before they can get it to a forward, and then offer no support getting the puck any further up ice.

They look like a 12-13 minute a night pairing at most, maybe less against a team with a stacked roster like the Sharks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad