GDT: Game 1: Seattle Kraken(0-0-0) @ Anaheim Ducks(0-0-0) - 7:00 p.m. PT / 10:00 p.m. ET

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
does the players get a free pass cause of who we have as a HC?

if this is how this season going to be then i am not taking part of these game threads. it was annoying last year the trash the coach game. i don't want to see more of that this year.
It's a discussion. You are giving the coach a free pass. What's the difference. Players play and coaches coach equal responsibilities. You can't seem to give the coach any responsibility and lump it all on the players. I see both sides failing in the same way.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
And of course we lose 5-4 on OT against a team that didn't have any business being in that game.
What a f**ing joke.

Grubauer also finishes the game saving 22 out of 27 and with an .815 SV%.
Yikes, and it's not even all his fault....

giphy.gif

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Could have been should have been such a positive night.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Beniers with great D to strip the puck and an even better pass to Larsson.

you honestly cant play any better on the burakovsky's backcheck— took away the deke and forehand.

Gru knows he has to stay on the backhand and shoudlve challenged. Make a save here man. He was bad.

None of those goals against were bad but you're right. Make a save.

It should be obvious that this is not the team to sit back on a lead. Whose decision is it to play like that again?

Teams always lose their boldness when they're protecting a lead, even when the coach tells them not to. It's human nature. I'd be surprised if Hak told them to back off.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
A lot of positive in this game. Defense is a problem especially holding a lead. They played a good enough defensive game until third period. I am still positive about the team improving this year.

If anything they will score more and be fun to watch.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Bud, a pro tip. Go read every other team board when their teams lose. We are the nicest bunch of folks around when it comes to our teams coach after a loss, but if you can’t handle constructive criticism of a coach, you know yourself better than anybody else.

I take constructive criticism of the coach if its actually constructive. Like okay the team made a mistake here and the coach needs to do better job stuff like that is fine. There is a way to criticize with out making it look like someone is outright trashing the coaches or the players.

This wasn't a coaching failure it was an entire team fail players do have responsibilities as well to do their jobs on the ice too and defensively this was a not a great game.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It's a discussion. You are giving the coach a free pass. What's the difference. Players play and coaches coach equal responsibilities. You can't seem to give the coach any responsibility and lump it all on the players. I see both sides failing in the same way.

Its how it gets worded though. Again like i posted above. Theres a way to word criticism with out making it look like the coach or player are being trashed.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
A lot of positive in this game. Defense is a problem especially holding a lead. They played a good enough defensive game until third period. I am still positive about the team improving this year.

If anything they will score more and be fun to watch.
Isn't that the general consensus though from outsiders. We're getting better but the defence isn't there yet and will take another year or 2.

Reactions: brewski420

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Isn't that the general consensus though from outsiders. We're getting better but the defence isn't there yet and will take another year or 2.

It's a fair take and we've also discussed basically not having a great defensive core and no top pairing defenseman.

Overall I hope Grubauer somewhat bounces back so his contract doesn't become an albatross and I also hope we keep on scoring to have some more fun.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Woo boy, you would not have liked Flyerland 4 years ago. Granted, they're savage, but this is tame.

i have a beef with our fanbase and I DO NOT mean any one specific on here on hfboards but more in general and it goes beyond the NHL team. I do not follow sports online as much as i used to.

Last year was difficult sometimes to follow games online. For this year, I want our fan base to beable to have a good discussion with productive critism that moves a discussion not just trashing some one.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Its how it gets worded though. Again like i posted above. Theres a way to word criticism with out making it look like the coach or player are being trashed.
Seriously it was a couple posts about the coach and you immediately begin to censor the discussion. Don't know why you feel the need to do that. Just disagree and move on or ignore it.

We can all agree defense is the big issue regardless of responsibility. If you need it sugar coated about who bears some responsibility fine. I will just ignore from now on.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Our biggest problem still is finishing games. Sure some of it is coaches fault some of it is the players fault but there will be times where we have a lead vs a tough defensive team and we need to learn how to finish a game no matter who is coaching and how that person is coaching.

Reactions: majormajor

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
i do apologize on here for my over reactions. I'll try to do better and keep my beef with our fanbase in general to myself and not in any of these game threads.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Game we should have won. Ultimately the disparity in goaltending was the undoing. Gibson was very good and Grubauer.......well..........he's not the goalie we thought we signed is he?

Beniers was pretty good. The new wingers were good. Wright looked like a guy who doesn't belong there yet.

Can't afford to blow games like this if we want to compete.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
i do apologize on here for my over reactions. I'll try to do better and keep my beef with our fanbase in general to myself and not in any of these game threads.
Don’t stop contributing. We have a good thing here we need to grow especially when compared to other teams boards. I apologize for my over reactions as well. Disagreement with constructive discussion is a very positive thing.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
How many games do we give him as starter to see if he can turn it around?

A lot of them, given his contract(that needs to work) and with Martin Jones as the other option.

Gotta hope he turns it around and this was just a bad last 20-ish minutes(he was solid before that) at the end of the game.

BTW: I've read quite some talk(not so much here) about buying him out/releasing him or what not.
Anyone believing that shoud just check the buyout calculator on capfriendly.com and will realize quickly that this is not an option until probably the final year of his contract.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Our D would look a bit better if we had a goalie who could make a game-saving stop more than once in a blue moon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad