GDT: Game 1: Seattle Kraken(0-0-0) @ Anaheim Ducks(0-0-0) - 7:00 p.m. PT / 10:00 p.m. ET

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Well the offense looks vastly improved. The defense still needs a ton of work, i wont put all of the blame on Gru but it would be nice to see him make some clutch saves. That contract could be a bad one. I also hope Gru isnt starting tonight on the B2B.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I take constructive criticism of the coach if its actually constructive. Like okay the team made a mistake here and the coach needs to do better job stuff like that is fine. There is a way to criticize with out making it look like someone is outright trashing the coaches or the players.

This wasn't a coaching failure it was an entire team fail players do have responsibilities as well to do their jobs on the ice too and defensively this was a not a great game.
I think it's reputation more than anything. Flyers fans warned about the 'Hakshell' and how they couldn't see out leads. It felt more like a goal tending issue to me though.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
A 2 goal lead in the third on the road has to be closed out. Not only did you not secure two points but more importantly you gave 2 points to a division/conference competitor. Forget about the one point ( loser point ) as it is nothing to be proud of in this game. I have to single out Grubs in this one. a .815 save % is the kind of numbers I would expect from a gal named Sandy playing Weds nights at Highland had she played in this NHL contest.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Some thoughts from last night:

- Offensive looked cohesive. Slick passing. Good puck movement.
- New players have already made a difference. Really impressed with Bjorkstrand.
- I try to temper my expectations of Beniers but the kid looks more and more like the real deal every time I see him on the ice.
- Defense is much of the same. Blown coverages. Players out of position.
- Gru looked good for much of the game. I think he could/should have saved 2 of the goals but can't hold the rest over him. What worried me his body language after the 4th goal. It had looked really good for most of the game but that 4th goal looked like it broke him. He definitely needs the defense to hold up for a few games for some wins so he can get that going.

Not blaming this loss on Hakstol. I don't really think the team took its foot off the gas even after the 4-2 lead. The 3rd goal against seemed to deflate the defense and after that the skaters in our own zone looked like they were unsure on their assignments and were scrambling.

That being said, with the roster, we need to be better defensively. We have a lot of good 2-way forwards and while our D-men are not top-shelf, they are not really known to be bad defensively, maybe with the exception of Schultz who actually looked decent. That, at the end of the day, is what Hakstol will be looked for. Sure it may be the players blowing assignments, but that will fall on Hakstol. If the team continues to score goals but lose these 4-5, 3-4 games, it will end up costing Hakstol his job.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
What stops the dmen from playing like they are with a different person as head coach. Its like the players aren't paying attention and just wants to quickly move the puck with out taking a quick seconds to think.

Big rig turning over that puck like that is what i mean or that stupid odd man rush goal while defending a PK.

Can't exactly blame gru on the loss, cause the goalie needs to trust his team mates to actually do their jobs defensively. That's been the issue last year.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think it's reputation more than anything. Flyers fans warned about the 'Hakshell' and how they couldn't see out leads. It felt more like a goal tending issue to me though.

The flyers had more problems than what the HC can do about it. As long as the players are playing as they are a different coach won't necessary change that and it could be nothing but a repeat just with someone else as head coach.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A lot of them, given his contract(that needs to work) and with Martin Jones as the other option.

Gotta hope he turns it around and this was just a bad last 20-ish minutes(he was solid before that) at the end of the game.

BTW: I've read quite some talk(not so much here) about buying him out/releasing him or what not.
Anyone believing that shoud just check the buyout calculator on capfriendly.com and will realize quickly that this is not an option until probably the final year of his contract.

I think sometimes you just have to forget about trying to justify the contract. Overpaying a guy is bad but it's only made worse when you feel compelled to overplay the overpaid guy. They're not desperate enough for cap to justify buying anyone out (which would extend the cost problem into years where the team wants to compete) but they shouldn't play bad players either.

If we're still having this problem twenty games from now I'd say we should try out some other goalies at starter. It's going to kill the morale of the team if they don't get some passable goaltending.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Some thoughts from last night:

- Offensive looked cohesive. Slick passing. Good puck movement.
- New players have already made a difference. Really impressed with Bjorkstrand.
- I try to temper my expectations of Beniers but the kid looks more and more like the real deal every time I see him on the ice.
- Defense is much of the same. Blown coverages. Players out of position.
- Gru looked good for much of the game. I think he could/should have saved 2 of the goals but can't hold the rest over him. What worried me his body language after the 4th goal. It had looked really good for most of the game but that 4th goal looked like it broke him. He definitely needs the defense to hold up for a few games for some wins so he can get that going.

Not blaming this loss on Hakstol. I don't really think the team took its foot off the gas even after the 4-2 lead. The 3rd goal against seemed to deflate the defense and after that the skaters in our own zone looked like they were unsure on their assignments and were scrambling.

That being said, with the roster, we need to be better defensively. We have a lot of good 2-way forwards and while our D-men are not top-shelf, they are not really known to be bad defensively, maybe with the exception of Schultz who actually looked decent. That, at the end of the day, is what Hakstol will be looked for. Sure it may be the players blowing assignments, but that will fall on Hakstol. If the team continues to score goals but lose these 4-5, 3-4 games, it will end up costing Hakstol his job.

I agree except I'm not looking at the D. There really weren't very many defensive breakdowns in this game. I can think of just a few.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
A 2 goal lead in the third on the road has to be closed out. Not only did you not secure two points but more importantly you gave 2 points to a division/conference competitor. Forget about the one point ( loser point ) as it is nothing to be proud of in this game. I have to single out Grubs in this one. a .815 save % is the kind of numbers I would expect from a gal named Sandy playing Weds nights at Highland had she played in this NHL contest.
I am definitely not a Gru fan, and figure I'll be hating his $5.9MM deal for the four seasons following this (ugh), but the .815 SP looks worse on paper than it did live.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I am definitely not a Gru fan, and figure I'll be hating his $5.9MM deal for the four seasons following this (ugh), but the .815 SP looks worse on paper than it did live.

That contract isn't going to prevent us from doing anything. It didn't for this past off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad