Post-Game Talk: GAME 1 - PHILADELPHIA - Eagles 25 PATRIOTS 20 - It was winnable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
That says more than you obviously understand.

I enjoyed that game, it was competitive and entertaining and 1000x better than last year. I lived through the 70s, 80s and 90s, what you saw last night was a decent team with potential to make some noise. There isn’t anyone on the planet that thinks team is going far but if their games are going to entertain me, I’ll be okay. Screaming every week about how terrible everything is…isn’t healthy.
That they relayed a stat about how the Patrios can't beat ANY good teams? Sorry if the truth bothers you so much.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
That they relayed a stat about how the Patrios can't beat ANY good teams? Sorry if the truth bothers you so much.
Obviously the Pats raise was due to one man, Tom Brady. The team while he was here was never great at anything for the most part other than HIS greatness every single week

He was able to win with his talents despite the mediocre players around him, those days are long gone.

Time that with two decades of playing in one if not the worst division in football was an automatic playoff berth before one snap with Brady at the helm.

Most have come to realize the Pats now are like 90% of the teams in the league, average at best with no identity. Add to it we have a dinosaur coach at the helm.

But what we do have going for us is how bad the league is so every on every Sunday there is a chance for a victory if everything goes our way but with no margin for error.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
So what? The Pats can go 0-16 for all I care, as along as they put up a competitive games like they did last night. We were in that game for the last 3 quarters, it was an interesting game, way different than anything that happened last year.

We had 20 years of incredible football, won 6 super bowls which only 1 other team can claim. Teams do not win win win forever, sorry if that truth bothers you. You have to go through the bad times to get back to the good times. Felger and Mazz are not journalists, they are grifters who troll the fan base because it makes them money. They are not in the business to say anything good, they are in the business to rile you up and make you angry because they figured out it’s the only way to keep people interested in them. They add nothing insightful excepting anger.

Reactions: PB37

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
So what? The Pats can go 0-16 for all I care, as along as they put up a competitive games like they did last night. We were in that game for the last 3 quarters, it was an interesting game, way different than anything that happened last year.

We had 20 years of incredible football, won 6 super bowls which only 1 other team can claim. Teams do not win win win forever, sorry if that truth bothers you. You have to go through the bad times to get back to the good times. Felger and Mazz are not journalists, they are grifters who troll the fan base because it makes them money. They are not in the business to say anything good, they are in the business to rile you up and make you angry because they figured out it’s the only way to keep people interested in them. They add nothing insightful excepting anger.

well 0-16 will at least get a chance at a good QB

Reactions: capecodder

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Stuff I can say after having a day to process it:

1. Even though they lost, it was a very entertaining game, I had more fun watching it than I have for two years with this team

2. Mac was not perfect but from the 2nd quarter onward looked like a solid pro QB that they can be competitive with. He made some good throws that Boutte let him down on, but Hunter Henry also saved his ass on that 4th down catch, so in the end he got the result he probably deserved. Still waiting for that signature win. It's been 3 years and he hasn't finished off a 4th quarter comeback yet.

3. Mike Reiss was on T&R and talking about how on the statistical models the league uses for win probability, going for it on 4th gave a higher probability of victory than kicking the FG, but I still feel that in the flow of the game with the way their defense was playing, they should've taken those points. But we don't know how that affects the Eagles' strategy on their following drive.

4. This defense is legit. Gonzalez did an admirable job as far as being a rookie making his NFL debut and being matched up with AJ Brown. He did get whipped on a few after-catch moves, but again it's Brown so I'll accept that as a learning experience for him.

5. They performed significantly better than my expectations going in. I think if they were facing any other team they'd have come out of that game with a win. So I think they can split with the Dolphins and Jets this year and can compete with other playoff clubs. But I'd still say until they show they can pull out close games, they're on the outside looking in at an 8-9 or 9-8 finish.

6. The offense with BoB vs. Patricia is night and day. Hell, the WRs got more separation on their routes than the last two years under McDaniels. BoB running the uptempo no-huddle was the most productive Brady's offenses ever were aside from 2007, so I'm hoping they stick with that style of playcalling all year. Mac actually looked like he could command the no huddle, he just needs to gain the confidence to identify mismatches at the line and call audibles and line shifts.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
well 0-16 will at least get a chance at a good QB
I was never a fan of Mac but I liked what I saw last night. Lots of QBs fall apart after a start like that but he kept his noggin’ in the game and fought back. It’s only 1 game but if he keeps fighting like he did last night, I don’t really have any bad words to say. Like I said, I watched this team in the 70s through the 90s and if I can still be a fan after all that shit, this era is peanuts.

Reactions: BMC

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
So what? The Pats can go 0-16 for all I care, as along as they put up a competitive games like they did last night.
Sweeeeeeeet Caroline

Or is it

I just want to use your love tonight (yeah)
I don't want to lose your love tonight (yeah)
I just want to use your love tonight
I don't want to lose your love tonight

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Sweeeeeeeet Caroline

Or is it

I just want to use your love tonight (yeah)
I don't want to lose your love tonight (yeah)
Dude, I have not been in this site for 2-3 years. I poke my head in for curiosity sake only to find, you are still at the same level of anger or negativity as you were 2-3 years ago. I don’t think it’s me and the rosy glasses you think I wear.

Reactions: Troublesome 85

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Dude, I have not been in this site for 2-3 years. I poke my head in for curiosity sake only to find, you are still at the same level of anger or negativity as you were 2-3 years ago. I don’t think it’s me and the rosy glasses you think I wear.
I do not apologize when someone comes on here and says they don't care if the team goes 0-16 as long as it's entertaining. As for being at the same level of negativity as 2-3 years ago, that's probably accurate. You know since the team is stuck in neutral.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
I do not apologize when someone comes on here and says they don't care if the team goes 0-16 as long as it's entertaining. As for being at the same level of negativity as 2-3 years ago, that's probably accurate. You know since the team is stuck in neutral.
You misunderstood my posts and what I said overall, than trolled me like I was some sort rosy glasses wearing moron. I’ve seen way way worse teams for years before you were born, I think can handle this 2023 team without losing my perspective and falling down into a ball of anger and hatred for years. I am wasting my time here, trust me I know.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Dude you're the one who said it. Not me. If that's not what you mean than be clearer next time. I'm not even angry about yesterday in a vacuum. This isn't about just yesterday. Yesterday as a standalone game was fine. But it's also a continuation of never being able to beat any good teams.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
When we were winning 14 games a year with Brady and would fly off the handle when they lost one regular season game to the Browns everyone would just call us bandwagoners and that they watched Hugh Millen and Jeff Carlson go 1-15 on frozen metal benches at Foxboro Stadium and how us young folk are entitled and don't know how to handle losing, etc., and now that they're mediocre when they lose a close, hard-fought game and we see any positives in it, now they're criticizing us for a loser mentality and how this isn't acceptable, etc.

No matter what, someone's always going to call us bad fans. No getting around it.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
When we were winning 14 games a year with Brady and would fly off the handle when they lost one regular season game to the Browns everyone would just call us bandwagoners and that they watched Hugh Millen and Jeff Carlson go 1-15 on frozen metal benches at Foxboro Stadium and how us young folk are entitled and don't know how to handle losing, etc., and now that they're mediocre when they lose a close, hard-fought game and we see any positives in it, now they're criticizing us for a loser mentality and how this isn't acceptable, etc.

No matter what, someone's always going to call us bad fans. No getting around it.
I do not remember Jeff Carlson. Hugh Millen I do. My introduction to Patriots football was having to listen to home games on the radio because they couldn't sell out the stadium and thus the game was blacked out on TV. I am right here to say there were absolutely positives from yesterday. But you could probably say that over the last few years any time they lost to a good team. That is the ultimate issue right now. No matter what improvements are seen it's still a loss. They have plenty of time to change that narrative this season. Starting Sunday night. They are once again home underdogs against a QB that Bill has not been able to beat.

I don't think it's a matter of being a good or bad fan. I do think that IF anyone really believes they don't care if the team goes 0-16...that would be a bad fan. That's Joe Namath "I couldn't care less about the Jets struggling" territory. But at some point you need to start beating good teams. And yesterday the game was right there to be won. I think it's ok to be critical of that while acknowledging there were positives. Here is a good summary:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
This isn't excusing Mac and the team but yesterday is part of a young QB and team building a lot of fans have forgotten about.

They need to learn how to win. Basically how to execute in crunch time of close games

Reactions: McGarnagle

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I think people are going to be surprised by how mediocre the eagles will be this season. They'll get some easy wins because of their schedule and division they're in, but the SB loser hangover is real.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I think people are going to be surprised by how mediocre the eagles will be this season. They'll get some easy wins because of their schedule and division they're in, but the SB loser hangover is real.
Nothing I saw yesterday makes me think that Jalen Hurts is a top tier QB in this league.

If the Eagles have a superbowl hangover and get whacked by the Cowboys a couple times, I'll look forward to watching EDP445's reaction videos.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Wasn’t sure where Felger would go but wham!!!! Exactly nailed it

Jakobi Myers 10 targets 9 receptions

Vindictive as shit

Foxboro would be surrounded by shallow graves if Belichick was allowed

Bring on Mayo and I’m ok with keeping his kids on the staff

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
This isn't excusing Mac and the team but yesterday is part of a young QB and team building a lot of fans have forgotten about.

They need to learn how to win. Basically how to execute in crunch time of close games
I agree it's absolutely part of the process. I think the question is can they get over that hump. There's no guarantee of that. Yesterday was a glorious opportunity to beat a superior team who didn't play its best game and still couldn't finish the deal. Every season is different but it's still a carryover issue of not being able to beat good teams.

I know the Giants offense isn't anything special but now I am very eager to see that Cowboys defense against the Eagles.

Wasn’t sure where Felger would go but wham!!!! Exactly nailed it

Jakobi Myers 10 targets 9 receptions

Vindictive as shit

Foxboro would be surrounded by shallow graves if Belichick was allowed

Bring on Mayo and I’m ok with keeping his kids on the staff
Letting Meyers go for JuJu never made sense and it never will. JuJu runs around out there like he's 70 years old. That's not gonna magically get better.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The Jakobi Meyers thing still makes no sense to me, like they didn't even make him an offer to return.

Liljordan Humphry got a TD in Denver too.

I think our WR core is alright, but lacking a #1 gamebreaker. Kendrick Bourne looks great out of the doghouse, Pop Douglas made some nice catches, Boutte got open and aside from not dragging his feet he was contributing. Henry and Gesicki look like a nice set of weapons from TE. I think Parker is better than some people write him off as, but obviously he's on the lower end of #1 WRs in this league at this point.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
The most positive thing for me was the OL. They couldn't run but held up against a top DL with two rookies and a guy who didnt play the pre-season. Mac Jones ceiling to me is to be a passable QB until you can identify someone better. Brady had a noodle arm that first SB but by 2003-4 seasons, his footwork was impeccable and added velocity on his throws. Mac hasnt shown any improvement to me.

Reactions: McGarnagle

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I agree it's absolutely part of the process. I think the question is can they get over that hump. There's no guarantee of that. Yesterday was a glorious opportunity to beat a superior team who didn't play its best game and still couldn't finish the deal. Every season is different but it's still a carryover issue of not being able to beat good teams.

I know the Giants offense isn't anything special but now I am very eager to see that Cowboys defense against the Eagles.

Letting Meyers go for JuJu never made sense and it never will. JuJu runs around out there like he's 70 years old. That's not gonna magically get better.
I’m with you on Cowboys - Phil Perry who I’m a fan of actually stunned me last Friday on Early Edition when he picked Dallas to win the SB

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The most positive thing for me was the OL. They couldn't run but held up against a top DL with two rookies and a guy who didnt play the pre-season. Mac Jones ceiling to me is to be a passable QB until you can identify someone better. Brady had a noodle arm that first SB but by 2003-4 seasons, his footwork was impeccable and added velocity on his throws. Mac hasnt shown any improvement to me.
Klemm is doing a hell of a job.

After they ruled out both starting guards and with how bad they looked in the preseason, I thought Mac was going to get murdered yesterday, but they actually held up really well against possibly the best d-line in the league. I believe he didn't get touched until late in the 4th. Couldn't establish any run game, but I'll take what we got any day given the expectations.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They did lose both safeties but Blankenship was all over field (of course could be because out of position lol)

They started great and maybe took foot off pedal but a smarter team and a few decent breaks beat them yesterday

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Klemm is doing a hell of a job.

After they ruled out both starting guards and with how bad they looked in the preseason, I thought Mac was going to get murdered yesterday, but they actually held up really well against possibly the best d-line in the league. I believe he didn't get touched until late in the 4th. Couldn't establish any run game, but I'll take what we got any day given the expectations.
I listened to a bunch of draft podcasts and watched those NFL Network nightly draft shows and those 3 IOL were all highly thought of as tough smart athletic versatile guys so there is optimism

Calvin Anderson might be one of the most interesting people in the game - I hope he makes it he’s certainly fascinating in a good way

Offense​

Total snaps: 80

QB Mac Jones* (80; 100%), LT Trent Brown* (80; 100%), LG Atonio Mafi* (80; 100%), C David Andrews* (80; 100%), RG Sidy Sow* (80; 100%), RT Calvin Anderson* (80; 100%), WR Kendrick Bourne* (73; 91%), TE Hunter Henry* (63; 79%), RB Rhamondre Stevenson* (58; 72%), WR Kayshon Boutte (55; 69%), WR JuJu Smith-Schuster* (43; 54%), WR Demario Douglas (33; 41%), TE Mike Gesicki* (33; 41%), RB Ezekiel Elliott (28; 35%), RB/WR Ty Montgomery II (7; 9%), TE Pharaoh Brown (6; 8%), CB/WR Marcus Jones (1; 1%)

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Seeing the patch work OL hold up in pass blocking yesterday made me think, did you really need to take Cole Strange in the first round? But regardless of that, they held up. It looks like that starting OL played 100% of the snaps together. If one of those guys got injured yesterday all hell could have broken loose. Good experience for Mafi and Sow for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad