Post-Game Talk: GAME 1 - PHILADELPHIA - Eagles 25 PATRIOTS 20 - It was winnable

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
As somebody who has been begging for Bill to be more aggressive I can’t really complain too much about them being over-aggressive. In hindsight it was dumb and in the moment it even seemed dumb but f*** it I want an offense that lets it ride. I’d rather do that than be not aggressive enough like the last couple of years

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Mac did very well yesterday after looking a bit nervous I the 1st quarter. Over 300 yards. 3 TD's. One might say he even outplayed Hurts. It was a step in the right direction. And he can clearly throw over 5 yards. Gotta work on the positives here.

I tell you what. If Hopkins is catching the balls and not Boutte, those feet are down. Guaranteed.

you can pile up the moral victories but QBs are judged by winning games in the 4th quarter. with 52 passing attempts Id hope he gets 300 yards

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
you can pile up the moral victories but QBs are judged by winning games in the 4th quarter. with 52 passing attempts Id hope he gets 300 yards
As a Mac critic myself I am overall encouraged with what I saw. The next step for him is to play a clean game. No pick 6 or delay of game on 4th down etc.

Or overcome those and pull out the victory. When you look at the game the defense had and how well the patch work OL held up this was a game you need your QB to win for you. At least if you want to be a playoff team.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
As a Mac critic myself I am overall encouraged with what I saw. The next step for him is to play a clean game. No pick 6 or delay of game on 4th down etc.

Or overcome those and pull out the victory. When you look at the game the defense had and how well the patch work OL held up this was a game you need your QB to win for you. At least if you want to be a playoff team.

i just think its ridiculous we have to change the standards to coddle Mac Jones and his 7-13 record in the last 20 games, inability to capitalize on a game. The team was in a 16-0 hole and the eagles took their foot off the gas and he showed some signs of life. horray

Last edited:
Reactions: capecodder

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
There's no hiding that. Felger and Mazz ran the stat about Pats lack of wins over good teams the last few years. Until that changes you're stuck in football purgatory.

Reactions: smithformeragent

mxcrossb

Mar 29, 2023
Osaka
Kind of a weird game, it just kept going. I was happy to see better play designs here and there, but it almost seemed like we got too cute. I hope to see more strong throws by Mac to our bigger targets.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
i just think its ridiculous we have to change the standards to coddle Mac Jones and his 7-13 record in the last 20 games, inability to capitalize on a game. The team was in a 16-0 hole and the eagles took their foot off the gas and he showed some signs of life. horray

Who is coddling him though? We know where you stand. You love Zappe. Fact of the matter. Yesterday was a very good game for Mac. And it's very encouraging to see that. Everyone wanted to see if he'd respond. Well, he did. Going forward people should be interested to see how he does. He had a good game despite the 1st quarter. But he didn't pout or yell or put his head down. He balled out.

If a few drops don't happen and Boutte keeps two feet down. Game is different. Yeah its frustrating. But you know what? Mac outplayed Hurts. You should be encouraged by that despite everything.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Who is coddling him though? We know where you stand. You love Zappe. Fact of the matter. Yesterday was a very good game for Mac. And it's very encouraging to see that. Everyone wanted to see if he'd respond. Well, he did. Going forward people should be interested to see how he does. He had a good game despite the 1st quarter. But he didn't pout or yell or put his head down. He balled out.

If a few drops don't happen and Boutte keeps two feet down. Game is different. Yeah ira frustrating. But you know what? Mac outplayed Hurts. You should be encouraged by that despite everything.

like I said Mac Jones will pile up moral victories. Its going be tough vs Miami and 7-14 in his last 21 games looks like a realistic possibility. the standards have changed where celebrating a few good drives down 16-0 is the victory. He got te coordinator he wanted and it was the same result. alabama Mac? not happening imo

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Really

Come on now. The Mac Boo Hoo crew is alive and well! (but yes I am encouraged by yesterday).

Where? Online or Radio? Lol

Seriously though. He played well against an Eagles defense that everyone expected to trounce us. OL held up. Everyone wanted to see how he'd respond after the 1st quarter, I know I did. He responded. I think he has a bounce back year.

But I'll keep saying it. We should of got Hopkins. I know, I know. Its done with. But I cant help feel like if he's catching the passes, those feet are down.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Where? Online or Radio? Lol

Seriously though. He played well against an Eagles defense that everyone expected to trounce us. OL held up. Everyone wanted to see how he'd respond after the 1st quarter, I know I did. He responded. I think he has a bounce back year.

But I'll keep saying it. We should of got Hopkins. I know, I know. Its done with. But I cant help feel like if he's catching the passes, those feet are down.

I thought Patricia was the issue now if he only had hopkins. you are what your record says

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I thought Patricia was the issue now if he only had hopkins. you are what your record says

Are you being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse?

You cannot deny Mac looks extremely better than last year yesterday. He significantly outplayed Hurts. He threw that ball perfectly to Boutte. His feet need to be DOWN. If Hopkins is in over that rook, things would be different because a vet knows where the feet need to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barnum

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
You are the President of the club! Let's keep it real.

Ah yes. I also occupy the Jake DeBrusk is my binky club too. I own two titles.

Did you see my posts yesterday about Mac? Do you see them today? Am I making excuses? No. I never said anything defending him. He doesn't need defending because he actually played a good game.

Nobody said he lit up the game or he's a top 5 QB. But EVERYONE should be encouraged by this game with Mac again a very tough Philly team. That's what we wanted to see. Did you see any yelling at the sidelines like last year? No. Did you see him pouting? No. Did you see him hang his head or have any frustration outbursts like like year? No. No you didn't. He played well. And he'll get better.

He outplayed Hurts. Bet you didn't think that was possible prior to the game, I know I didn't think so.

Reactions: Barnum

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
This is such a ridiculous, simpleton answer.

Offense was moving the ball on their opening drive before the pick 6. They were in FG range already.

Regardless, If you actually bothered to watch the game objectively, you'd have seen that the defense was making plays and forcing PHI to play differently than they wanted to.

This in turn lead to PHI defense being on the field more, tiring out, and giving up plays, missing coverages, etc.

I thought OBrien did a great job with mixing up the different packages creating confusion.

But you know, PHI just stopped playing and that's the only reason NE got back in the game.

The amount of flak Jones gets is just ridiculous. Last year sucked for everyone. The offense already looks better, despite only scoring 20 points yesterday.

You love to parrot Felger and Mazz takes...

Was it his fault that Boutte had no idea where the boundary was? That 4th down throw was a big boy throw. Put it exactly where it needed to be, and would've had 3-4 shots at the end zone from the 6 to win the game. But you know..."mAc sUcKs"

If we get to the end of the season, and hes had a year like last season, then by all means I'll eat crow, and the team should move on.

Hell, if there's an upgrade over Mac Jones out there available, then uograde. But it sure as f*** isn't Bailey Zappe, who would've still been on the practice squad if Corral doesn't go AWOL.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Obviously we need real victories instead of moral victories, but some need to stop acting like all losses are the same.

All preseason lamenting around here it was all about how week 1 was gonna be some s***show slaughter like the Giants/Cowboys ended up being and instead the Patriots took it to them and frankly outplayed them for 3 quarters. Not bad for a team that couldn't get out of its own way last year and was the first time playing a new offensive system.

If they play like this all year, they're gonna win a lot more than they lose and be a playoff team. Logic says they'll get better as they get more comfortable in the offense.

Reactions: Mione134

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
This is such a ridiculous, simpleton answer.

Offense was moving the ball on their opening drive before the pick 6. They were in FG range already.

Regardless, If you actually bothered to watch the game objectively, you'd have seen that the defense was making plays and forcing PHI to play differently than they wanted to.

This in turn lead to PHI defense being on the field more, tiring out, and giving up plays, missing coverages, etc.

I thought OBrien did a great job with mixing up the different packages creating confusion.

But you know, PHI just stopped playing and that's the only reason NE got back in the game.

The amount of flak Jones gets is just ridiculous. Last year sucked for everyone. The offense already looks better, despite only scoring 20 points yesterday.

You love to parrot Felger and Mazz takes...

Was it his fault that Boutte had no idea where the boundary was? That 4th down throw was a big boy throw. Put it exactly where it needed to be, and would've had 3-4 shots at the end zone from the 6 to win the game. But you know..."mAc sUcKs"

If we get to the end of the season, and hes had a year like last season, then by all means I'll eat crow, and the team should move on.

Hell, if there's an upgrade over Mac Jones out there available, then uograde. But it sure as f*** isn't Bailey Zappe, who would've still been on the practice squad if Corral doesn't go AWOL.

lecture away all that matters is the record and winning games which you cant back up and if bothered to look I picked pats 20-14 at home

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

It's not ridiculous at all. Not when you throw an awful pass that leads to a pick 6 and then take a delay of game on 4th down in the 4th quarter. That's all. He did a lot of good things. But until he cuts down on the dumbass shit or shows an ability to overcome those and win the game for the Pats he's still gonna get criticism. I grant you the Boutte play though. He delivered on that one. I am encouraged by what I saw but it's a game they should have ended up winning. So I hope Mac builds off of this.

I don't believe this at all. I think Zappe was always going to be the backup. Yesterday anyway. Maybe that changes as the weeks go by.

If they play like this all year, they're gonna win a lot more than they lose and be a playoff team. Logic says they'll get better as they get more comfortable in the offense.
This is fair but at some point you need to show an ability to actually win games like yesterday. So yes I would say it was encouraging. But at some point you need to see that breakthrough moment where you beat an actual good team. Philly wasn't at their best yesterday. Game was their for the taking.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I think you can win with Jones, but the margin for error is not nearly what was was for 19 seasons with Brady.

Brady covered a lot of warts, even on some of the worse Patriots teams during his run.

You could go down 2 scores and still be very much in a game.

We’ve seen what the recipe for success is with Jones.

• Play good defense
• Take the ball away
• Limit mistakes on offense
• Utilize the tight ends
• Make the most of your red zone opportunities

25 points continues to be the magic number.
They need to limit the opposition to 24 or fewer, because this offense isn’t putting up 4 touch downs.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
There's no hiding that. Felger and Mazz ran the stat about Pats lack of wins over good teams the last few years. Until that changes you're stuck in football purgatory.
That says more than you obviously understand.

I enjoyed that game, it was competitive and entertaining and 1000x better than last year. I lived through the 70s, 80s and 90s, what you saw last night was a decent team with potential to make some noise. There isn’t anyone on the planet that thinks team is going far but if their games are going to entertain me, I’ll be okay. Screaming every week about how terrible everything is…isn’t healthy.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Philly prides itself in its defense, no? They hardly sat back on a 16 point lead to allow Mac to make plays.

Reactions: Barnum and Mione134

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK

I know it's blocked, but watch the highlights on youtube and come back and tell me Mac was awful last game.

You know what I liked, he didn’t wilt. His head stayed in the game after a terrible start and kept competing. I was reading ‘50 burger‘ out of people when they went down 16-0. He outplayed stud QB Hurts for 3 quarters and the defense stifled a high powered offense. Championship teams don’t win without adversity and the bad times, teams have to go through the bad times. This team is going to make trouble for other teams and I hope it‘s the Bills, Fish and Jets the most.

Reactions: Mione134
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad