GDT: Game 1: Phil & The Condiments @ Ducks - 7PM - FSAZ

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I'll echo a few other posters and add a few other observations
  • Vinnie (while he had some nice speedy moments) had way too many mistakes
  • Was Fischer on the ice? Definitely need to send him down to Tucson for a while
  • Can we NOT put Stepan on the PP this season?
  • Not big on the Keller - Stepan - Kessel line (even though they were probably the best line tonight), could we try Dvorak - Stepan - Kessel for a game or two? Or possibly Keller - Soderberg - Kessel (even though Stepan played decently full-strength)
  • Chychrun seems ruuuusty
  • We still need a 2nd line forward

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
BOS, VGK, COL

We're dreck against Boston (why I hate having the home opener against them, bleh)
But Colorado and Vegas are plenty beatable. Vegas gave us all sorts of problems their first year but they are a different team now and we were over .500 against them last season.

overreact

Regardless of the schedule there's no overreacting to our trash PP going on over half a decade now.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Can we NOT put Stepan on the PP this season

I dunno he was shooting about as well as I've ever seen tonight. Soderberg didn't really have a good offensive game tonight as a facilitator at center (he did do some work in front of the net though), neither did Schmaltz. Really not much in the way of choices there Stepan is going to see time. We're still a 1C short of a 1C and it's just gonna be bleh options at C until that's fixed.

They only had 1 high danger chance in the third, that's not gonna cut it.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Crouse wasn't Crouse tonight.

Fischer...... was decent in spots but almost as non-existant.

Garland started out great, doing what he does best for the first half, but disappeared.

Vinnie was trying TOO hard.....

Ducks weren't all that great either..... they missed shots wide by five feet just like we did all of last year. They just made one less major fubar than we did.

I'm all for slotting Hayton in next game for any of the four players listed above.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
We're dreck against Boston (why I hate having the home opener against them, bleh)
But Colorado and Vegas are plenty beatable. Vegas gave us all sorts of problems their first year but they are a different team now and we were over .500 against them last season.

Regardless of the schedule there's no overreacting to our trash PP going on over half a decade now.
Vegas and Colorado "plenty beatable"? LOL. They are top 5 teams in the west. Vegas would have won the cup if it was not for one epic meltdown moment with a brutal 5 minute fake major penalty against them. they added Mark Stone, Patch and now have Cody Glass. They are a premier team in this league .
The Ave's are loaded.

Last edited:

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Last night looked like a familiar game to me. It looked like the 18-19 Coyotes, with some rust.

There were shots, but most were really easy saves. When it looked like someone had a chance for a higher probability shot, the pass was missed or intercepted.

It was a L but I still mostly liked what I saw. Those goals will start coming.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

I love what he says.
He "didnt like three or four guys games"
"you got to get your nose dirty".

Again totally different mindset then the style ofplay the GM wants . And it's still the way to win in the NHL. The whole league is loaded with "skill" guys , the separation is whos willing to sacrifice.
Mind you the coyotes still cant score enough goals. But it's only game one. But I believe they opened last year with a loss to the Ducks too. And the Ducks are not a good team.

Last edited:

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
The quality of shots, passes and touches in general was just awful. Only the first line could complete anything, and even they struggled with it.

Wouldn't consider that a very promising start. It just highlighted the total void of high-end skill and dynamics in the lineup.

Also Schmaltz's skating looks terrible compared to last season.

Reactions: Jakey53

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Kuemper will have to steal some games for us. I want to see Capo instead of Goose and Hayton instead of Schmaltz. Schmaltz needs to sit in the press box in order to light a fire under him. So does Goose.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
What happened to Fischer's puck skills? They were never high end but they look like they've completed eroded.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I can deal w a close loss. Would prefer a close win though. Kuemper remains legit.
These are the games we have to win. Didn't play bad, but didn't play good. Trying to be too cute. Schmaltz has to play much much better, Hino made a ton of bad passes, in fact that line in general was not good. You won't win many games scoring 1 goal.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Sitting on that overnight.. Yea that Yotes did well enough to have more zone time overall and all that but definitely suffered from (as Tocch and such said) getting too cute. They had a hard time bobbling passes or missing them entirely at random times... and tried to make too many cross ice and such instead of simplifying and getting dirty in the slot.

Keller and Kessel seemed to have some nice chemistry at points, to me.... Keller just needs to finish on either of his 2 half breakaways and this game is looking a bit different. Hino had that chance at the open net in the first... etc etc.

If the Yotes get all the zone time like last night they need to capitalize... plain and simple. Just having the zone time and playing well is not enough anymore. Gotta translate that to goals and, more importantly, wins.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Kuemper will have to steal some games for us. I want to see Capo instead of Goose and Hayton instead of Schmaltz. Schmaltz needs to sit in the press box in order to light a fire under him. So does Goose.
You know that's not going to happen.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
First game. A lot of missed passes on both ends.

We did look like we were the better team in a few phases. Even with some of the uneven play.

Only thing that I am upset over was the attempted takeaway that led to the Ducks first goal. Don't do that in a 0-0 game. Either do it when we are up by 3 or down by 2. Other than that, I think we will be fine. We scored in the first game (don't care if it's only 1 - everyone breathes a sigh of relief on the team after that). We didn't have injuries. We played better than the score indicated, but also played worse than what we are capable of.

Kind of like we were doing right after the Schmaltz acquisition, we look like a team that is ready to turn a corner and breakout. Give it about 6-10 games and we'll see things gel together. If we are .500 after about 10 games, we are in good shape. I like the direction we are headed in, even though we are in mid-season form regarding comments about players.

Reactions: cobra427

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Vegas and Colorado "plenty beatable"? LOL. They are top 5 teams in the west. Vegas would have won the cup if it was not for one epic meltdown moment with a brutal 5 minute fake major penalty against them. they added Mark Stone, Patch and now have Cody Glass. They are a premier team in this league .
The Ave's are loaded.

Premier teams in the NHL lose regularly this isn't NCAA football or something. The Coyotes more than held their own against both teams last year with an injury depleted lineup.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I didn't hate what we saw that game. Some moments of brilliance, some of terror. Gibson played well. I thought our passing was sloppy at times. But to beat Gibson, especially early in the year, I think you have to get him moving side to side so we took some risks that made it look sloppier than it really was.

Kind of weird line configurations. I think the Crouse-Dvo-Fish line is just a really weird one to roll out, but I think they moved Fish off of it at the end of the game.

Kuemper looked alright. Defense generally held pretty tight. PK looked the same, PP looked the same. It honestly looked like the 18-19 Coyotes. I'd like to think that we can only go up from here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad