GDT: Game 1: Phil & The Condiments @ Ducks - 7PM - FSAZ

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Sat on this overnight because last night I wouldn't have been so kind. Just so sloppy but know we really havent had a full team for a long time. Hoping chemistry develops.

Im done with Fischer. Passing needs to be crisper and on point instead of a lot of no thought passes. Not impressed with Schmaltz. Kessel was the best thing and loved the hustle.

Im worried about another of a long line of slow starts. 4 points last year...I hope they remember that early season points count just the same.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
You'd think we lost 10-0 by some of these comments.

I think there were a few 1st game bumps in the road, and the GWG was totally unstoppable.

Swap out Fischer for Hayton and let's go vs. Boston.
yes, life will be OK. If we beat Boston, most (but not all) will forget about this game....

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
yes, life will be OK. If we beat Boston, most (but not all) will forget about this game....

Yea... beating Boston would definitely be a bit of a relief for many reasons. Like it's been mentioned above... tougher schedule to start and this team can't afford another slow one in my opinion... so they are going to need to rise to the occasion. Don't give the media and fans another reason to check out early this year... keep the engagement and momentum going.

Don't want the first impression of the season being "Well... same ole Coyotes... they suck again not going to waste my time".

Last edited:

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Premier teams in the NHL lose regularly this isn't NCAA football or something. The Coyotes more than held their own against both teams last year with an injury depleted lineup.
From that context yes. They had one more victory against the knights and were .500 against the Aves.

Will be interesting to see how they fare against the Hawks. They actually had a winning record against them last year which i believe is quite rare. But the Hawks i suspect will really improve on their record this year.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You'd think we lost 10-0 by some of these comments.

I think there were a few 1st game bumps in the road, and the GWG was totally unstoppable.

GWG shot was not something I expect Kuemper to stop, but Vinnie could have defended that entire situation much better.

Soderberg and Schmaltz were the only awkward forwards, for me. Soderberg has kind of a low pace of play, he doesn't move around a ton off the puck. Schmaltz was just soft the entire game. I thought Fischer and Garland did alright, they were engaged and had their feet moving. A lot better than last year, especially for Fischer.

They should scratch Goligoski and move Chychrun up a pair, put Cap in his place.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Sat on this overnight because last night I wouldn't have been so kind. Just so sloppy but know we really havent had a full team for a long time. Hoping chemistry develops.

Im done with Fischer. Passing needs to be crisper and on point instead of a lot of no thought passes. Not impressed with Schmaltz. Kessel was the best thing and loved the hustle.

Im worried about another of a long line of slow starts. 4 points last year...I hope they remember that early season points count just the same.
6-5-0 in October last year, if they match that, they'll be fine.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
GWG shot was not something I expect Kuemper to stop, but Vinnie could have defended that entire situation much better.

Soderberg and Schmaltz were the only awkward forwards, for me. Soderberg has kind of a low pace of play, he doesn't move around a ton off the puck. Schmaltz was just soft the entire game. I thought Fischer and Garland did alright, they were engaged and had their feet moving. A lot better than last year, especially for Fischer.

They should scratch Goligoski and move Chychrun up a pair, put Cap in his place.
Tocchet talked about Hinostroza's lack of hockey IQ in a preseason interview (can't remember which, might've been NattieHattie), I watched him closely last night and understand Tocc's comments. Vinnie does not read plays well, he makes poor decisions with the puck and as we saw, struggles in his own end.

He has a great attitude and doesn't lack for desire, guess we'll see how this plays out.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I had a feeling the Ducks sadly shoudn't be used as a measuring stick. They looked very, very bad to me. Surprisingly, horrible bad.

The fact the Yotes lost to them is not a good sign. Even if there were some bad puck luck. It annoyed me the refs still let men board Keller -and hard - half an hour after he had sent away the puck. And it annoys me nobody seems to be able to retaliate against it.

Fischer was not bad though, even if he possibly might be one of those who should be doing something with the last thing.

Kessel is good. Stepan is good. Keller was good when he was allowed to play, I hope he gets protection from either the officials or someone else to allow him to actually play.

Why keep Hayton with the team if he supposed to watch? Either play him or send him to the juniors. Man.

Officials surely not on the Coyote-bandwagon this game. It's the oldest excuse in the book, but I will use it.

AJ171181

Sep 27, 2019
Bochum
I am absolutly sure: If the Yotes score in the first 15 strong minutes, they get win the game with +2/3.

Ducks played bad, but had the luck to score the first goal in game. The head can decide a game early.
Ducks: Aaaaah, it works, maybe we are not soooo bad!
Yotes: Damn, same shit like every season, no puck Luck!

These both teams are not playoff contenders, you can dream but the Yotes need a 1 Center and more scoring depth.
OEL, Kessel and every 10th game Keller are special players, rest is ok, but not better than the other conference teams.

I think many people here had big hopes in a good season start (when was the last??), now with a bad result and upcoming hard games, it seems like everything is going the normal loosing Yotes way.

Yotes have to deatroy this picture of an unlucky, bad playing, charming and cute Hockey team that fills the league.

Get the f*** out of this crap and get sone early season wins like real mens!!!!

LetsGo!

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I am absolutly sure: If the Yotes score in the first 15 strong minutes, they get win the game with +2/3.

Ducks played bad, but had the luck to score the first goal in game. The head can decide a game early.
Ducks: Aaaaah, it works, maybe we are not soooo bad!
Yotes: Damn, same **** like every season, no puck Luck!

These both teams are not playoff contenders, you can dream but the Yotes need a 1 Center and more scoring depth.
OEL, Kessel and every 10th game Keller are special players, rest is ok, but not better than the other conference teams.

I think many people here had big hopes in a good season start (when was the last??), now with a bad result and upcoming hard games, it seems like everything is going the normal loosing Yotes way.

Yotes have to deatroy this picture of an unlucky, bad playing, charming and cute Hockey team that fills the league.

Get the **** out of this crap and get sone early season wins like real mens!!!!

LetsGo!
Ok then.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

Get the **** out of this crap and get sone early season wins like real mens!!!!

LetsGo!

That would be a cool slogan this year.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Ducks are a BAD team, 'Yotes losing to them was VERY disappointing. Same 'ol, same 'ol, 'Yotes playing to the level of their competion.

I thought the 1st period was very good, 2nd was okay, tied then had mental breakdown. The 3rd was ABYSMAL, no urgency, no energy, no toughness. Gotta be better than that...

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Make some noise about the boarding of Keller long time after he has sent away the puck. It sure looks intentional, just bad sport.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
First game, too early to tell anything right now. Our D and goal tending was pretty solid, that is a good sign. Let’s see what happens first 5 to 10 games before we draw conclusions, this game could have gone either way.

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
I don't think it's the loss that was necessarily the frustrating thing. It was only netting one goal. Kind of the same script as last year. First period was very strong but nothing to account for. 2nd was terrible, and 3rd just lacked urgency. It starts with OEL in my book. He needs to play like it's the last 10 games of the season. He made so many soft plays with the puck. Hell, he even burned off another 5-10 seconds on our PP casually gathering the puck, getting pressured, and then just turning it over in our own zone. That stuff is inexcusable and sadly is the makeup of this team - for now.

Reactions: _Del_

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I don't think it's the loss that was necessarily the frustrating thing. It was only netting one goal. Kind of the same script as last year. First period was very strong but nothing to account for. 2nd was terrible, and 3rd just lacked urgency. It starts with OEL in my book. He needs to play like it's the last 10 games of the season. He made so many soft plays with the puck. Hell, he even burned off another 5-10 seconds on our PP casually gathering the puck, getting pressured, and then just turning it over in our own zone. That stuff is inexcusable and sadly is the makeup of this team - for now.

I can agree that far too often, we simply look like a team going through the motions on the PP.

Tippett used the word desperate. I don't think we need to play desperate, but as you said, we need some urgency in our game to open up a lead. Not just have good chances, but finish good chances.

Reactions: justin323032

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I can agree that far too often, we simply look like a team going through the motions on the PP.

Tippett used the word desperate. I don't think we need to play desperate, but as you said, we need some urgency in our game to open up a lead. Not just have good chances, but finish good chances.
I would say we passed the desperate stage a year ago. I don't care if you call it desperate, urgency or whatever you want, but you can't call our PP good.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
OEL and Demers did not have a good game, and I know what you mean when you described him as casually gather the puck. It like he is taunting the players to take the puck away from him instead of moving the play forward quickly. He does that far to often, and it's one of his few faults.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I would say we passed the desperate stage a year ago. I don't care if you call it desperate, urgency or whatever you want, but you can't call our PP good.

I was more referring to overall play, and not just the PP. But yes, something just doesn't seem to work, with the exception being when Newell Brown was here. I think the players are being told to follow the system too much on the PP work, and so we see less movement and freedom. First game though - if it is still a cluster after 10 games, then we have a major issue with coaching and performance on that side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad