Pre-Game Talk: Game 1! NYR @ WPG, 7PM CT, Fri 10/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Unless they come in here absolutely exhausted -- which I can't see happening -- I think they have the advantage of having oiled up the machine, cast off the rust, and all those other stupid cliches.

The one saving grace is it will be a b2b for them and the third game in 4 days so they might not have the same energy reserves. But they should be sharper in terms of puck handling and movement.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
charlie-day.gif

I expect the Rangers to be a top team this season. They scare me.

Reactions: LowLefty and hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
charlie-day.gif

I expect the Rangers to be a top team this season.

They have the goaltending and defense. If some of their young top picks take a step forward they will be a handful for anyone. If they don't I don't believe they have enough beyond their big 3 upfront to contend.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
They have the goaltending and defense. If some of their young top picks take a step forward they will be a handful for anyone. If they don't I don't believe they have enough beyond their big 3 upfront to contend
They got into the final 4 last season with Laf, Kakko, and Chytil on the 3rd line. If they step it up they'll be the team to beat, if they stay the exact same they'll still be a contender.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They got into the final 4 last season with Laf, Kakko, and Chytil on the 3rd line. If they step it up they'll be the team to beat, if they stay the exact same they'll still be a contender.

They got their largely on the backs of all world goaltending and opportune scoring and some career seasons. From a metrics point of view their team last year greatly emulated ours the last three years, great goaltending and above average finishing covering up poor defensive play.

If they want to be a true contender then they need carry the play much more this year and get more contributions after there top 3 forwards. Last night was a good start to that.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
They got their largely on the backs of all world goaltending and opportune scoring and some career seasons. From a metrics point of view their team last year greatly emulated ours the last three years, great goaltending and above average finishing covering up poor defensive play.

If they want to be a true contender then they need carry the play much more this year and get more contributions after there top 3 forwards. Last night was a good start to that.
In the first half of the season that's true, in the second they were among the best in pretty much every metric.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
In the first half of the season that's true, in the second they were among the best in pretty much every metric.

They also lost some key parts of that in Copp and Strome. They need some of that top talent to step up and fill the void. I just don't trust their offensive depth right now.

Z and Panerin should be a ppg or better but I don't see Kreider coming close his goal totals of last year.

You then really only have Trocheck as a proven top 6 guy and imo he's a mediocre second line caliber player. Neither Kakko or Laf as of yet have shown to be better then third line caliber talents.

Reactions: Mathil8

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

I thought they had a pretty damn good looking PP in their last game as well -something to be avoided if we are smart. Generally quick puck moving and rotation which I think will prove a challenge for our less mobile D, like Stanley.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I thought they had a pretty damn good looking PP in their last game as well -something to be avoided if we are smart. Generally quick puck moving and rotation which I think will prove a challenge for our less mobile D, like Stanley.

Yeah they had a beast of a pp last year as well. We are going to have to stay out of the box.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The one saving grace is it will be a b2b for them and the third game in 4 days so they might not have the same energy reserves. But they should be sharper in terms of puck handling and movement.
This early in the season, the N'yorkwegian Blueshirts should have enough VOOM to play 3 games in 3 nights and be pining for the fjourth. :nod:

Truenorthducky

Oct 10, 2020
Just bought my tickets for the home opener and Teemu/Teppo games. I’m shocked how many tickets are still available for the home opener. embarrassing.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Oof. Listening to call-in segment on Jim Toth show discussing the best fanbases and Ken's nonsensical rant complete with on-air swearing makes me long for the days of Ralph.

I caught some of the show this afternoon. Toth spent a solid 15 minutes rambling about different NHL cities and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what his point was or what the debate was about (if there was one.) The guy essentially argues all sides of every issue at the same time, contradicting things he just said and arguing against stuff he just argued in favor of minutes before - all of it spiced up with liberal amounts of "literally" this and "delving into" that and all the "this's and that's and the other things." He makes my brain go soft.

Anyway...hoping for a Jet's victory to start the season. And then 8 or 10 more in a row to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad