Post-Game Talk: Game 1: Leafs @ Bruins - A stinker - Get 4 bad plays at price of 1 - Kostko

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
If JVR is going then I take him off the Kessel line and put him with Kadri and Lupul. That gets him away from Chara. That line can take over games with the cycle and get scoring chances.

I put Kulemin up with Kessel and Bozak who can provide some defensive responsibility and play even hockey.

Kulimen Bozak Kessel
JVR Kadri Lupul
Frattin Grabo Mac A
Komorov McClement Orr/Maclaren

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If Grabo keeps up that play I know he will help give us a chance. At least one player showed us playoff gear, JVR as well.

As tough as Grabs appeared to be, he will not last the series taking that kind of abuse on a regular basis.

While he appears indestructible, he isn't.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lupul Bozak Kessel
Mac Grabo Kule
JVR Kadri Frattin
Ham Mc Komarov

Thank you no Kostka

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
And that worked out magnificently. Maybe something to learn is if you spread your offense too far then no line can produce. Instead of spreading out the offense he should focus it on two lines.

He tried it and it didn't work but there was no way of knowing that it wouldn't work before he tried it. And remember that until yesterday morning nobody knew if Bozak was even going to play in the game so Carlyle had to adjust his lines.

Yeah I'm sure free agents are thinking "wow money great, term great, team that can compete...oh wow wait, I think that fanbase is a little too intense for me." Fans everywhere overreact, welcome to the world of sports.

The fan and media pressure in Toronto is on another level compared to the vast majority of NHL cities. If you don't think that plays into player's decisions you're naive.

Carlyle made boneheaded decisions and it burned them tonight.

Things didn't work out but if they had won you'd be calling him a genius.

Played fighters when fighting almost doesn't exist in the playoffs

It does in the first round.

played Kostka at every opportunity even though his only advantage (playing in the AHL while most of the league was in offseason mode) had passed, and diffused his offense so much that no line was effective.

It didn't work but the theory was sound and there was no way to know it wasn't going to work until it had been tried.

If he can't learn from his mistakes then maybe he should get fired.

And you, with your vast NHL coaching experience and with your name on the Stanley Cup, have all the answers?

The bottom line is that this team wasn't even supposed to make the playoffs this season and the reality is that they do not have the talent to make a deep run. Every game right now is a bonus and is giving them experience on which to build next year and the year after when they will, hopefully, have more talent and be better positioned to make a run. For you to be calling for Carlyle to be fired is moronic.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Run the lines that have the most time together historically, maybe with PO atmosphere they can click again.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Randy is over coaching at this point, his massive juggle efforts shows he has no confidence in his guys to get it done and he is playing pin the tail on the donkey. It's very concerning at least to me.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Bruins fan here, can someone please explain the meaning behind the "Burn the boats" avatars theme?

Don't even ask, to me it means "I am a pyromaniac and wanted something to do with fire to get the team fired up before games" officially though some general in history landed his troops and ordered they burn the boats with which they came as a showing there is no turning back or retreat.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
We better ****ing show up on Saturday.

Only positives from last night was JvR and Bozak's play. Pathetic turnovers...and Kadri playing like an OHL'er last night.

Oh and if Kostka is playing, I smell sweep. No coach can be dumb enough to let him play another game for the Leafs...but knowing Carlyle, he'll be getting 20 minutes to completely ruin our chances.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
If it's any consolation, I recall a few Leaf teams in the 90's and early millenium that got dominated in the first game of the playoffs and ended up advancing beyond the first round.

Either many posters here have short memories or they are too young to remember the run the Leafs made in '92-'93. That year they played Detroit in the first round, weren't expected to win the series, and predictably lost the first two games 6-3 and 6-2 (and lost the sixth game 7-3) but still won that series in seven games. Winning that series set up a run to the conference finals that only ended because of the non-call on Gretzky for the high stick on Gilmour.

Relax people, last night was one game!

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
marchand.gif

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...-accuses-jvr-of-spearing-him-in-the-privates/
:handclap:

Awesome!!

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
I woke up this morning and I felt so embarrassed for the team and the fan base. 1st playoff game in almost a decade for this franchise you would think these clowns would step up their game and show some pride, heart and character and determination. I literally felt embarrassed waking up this morning. Never felt that way after a leaf game before.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Burn the Bruins would be better but we prefer vague references to quasi relevant historical figures from foreign countries to get our team going this year.

Burn myself on the hot stove

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Randy simply over coached last night.

Why did he split up Kadri and Lupul? We know Kessel is ineffective against Chara but we at least knew that Lupul and Kadri were going to get their chances.

Grabovski had a good game but still not up to the level that Kadri and Lupul were.

I want to see Kadri and Lupul with Kulemin again...stop turning Kadri into the #3C when he was the #2C all year.

Gardiner needs to be in the line up....and if Randy doesn't like Gardiner, then at least put O'Byrne.

Kostka should just be told to stay home.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
To be fair he did get speared.

First of all, it wasn't a 'spear'. It was a poke or a slash. Second, even if he had been speared that doesn't give one license to swing the stick like Joe Carter swinging for the fences in the World Series.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Oh and if Kostka is playing, I smell sweep. No coach can be dumb enough to let him play another game for the Leafs...but knowing Carlyle, he'll be getting 20 minutes to completely ruin our chances.

Yeah, because last night was entirely down to one player :facepalm:

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Randy simply over coached last night.

Why did he split up Kadri and Lupul? We know Kessel is ineffective against Chara but we at least knew that Lupul and Kadri were going to get their chances.

Grabovski had a good game but still not up to the level that Kadri and Lupul were.

I want to see Kadri and Lupul with Kulemin again...stop turning Kadri into the #3C when he was the #2C all year.

Gardiner needs to be in the line up....and if Randy doesn't like Gardiner, then at least put O'Byrne.

Kostka should just be told to stay home.

?... more like ineffective against the bruins not just because of one dude

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I woke up this morning and I felt so embarrassed for the team and the fan base. 1st playoff game in almost a decade for this franchise you would think these clowns would step up their game and show some pride, heart and character and determination. I literally felt embarrassed waking up this morning. Never felt that way after a leaf game before.

This is exactly what I expected from a Leaf playoff game after 9 years. So much media hype and pressure and the fact its Boston made it that much worse.

There is no Gilmour on this team to lead it thru tough waters.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, because last night was entirely down to one player :facepalm:

When you're on the ice for all 4 goals and had shifts of nearly 2 minutes on a couple of instances because the Bruins were cycling around your ass...yes, that one player was the WORST among the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad