Who will take round 3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Petry is gone for game 1 apparently.
That is indeed a problem. But this team, for whatever reason, seems, with the grace of those very fickle hockey gods, to have an ability to overcome the odds and challenges it faces. Will it continue? Who knows? But if Montreal, without Petry, or a limited Petry, can beat Vegas, then Tampa or the Islanders are clearly doomed and history will look back at this run as being the most improbable of runs since Montreal won in 1971. But that's still a long way off. But as fans, we should enjoy the magic as long as it lasts. And should reality impose its will and the team be eliminated, I would hope that such an eventuality (inevitability?) will not see a cascade of vitriol being hurled against the team's management, players, etc. What they have accomplished with a clearly flawed team has been nothing short of remarkable and such accomplishments should be acknowledged.

I, like many posters here, have been critical of Bergevin's management decisions. And nothing that has happened or will happen, will undo the many mistakes that has occurred during his tenure. But if it is appropriate to criticize his mistakes, it is also proper to praise him for his successes, no matter how improbable.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It’s not david v goliath and since when have we relied on the Suzuki line? The team has been rolling 4 lines who’ve all contributed in wins.

These takes are just not looking at the teams objectively.

Vegas is not Toronto or Winnipeg.

Suzuki/Toffoli = 8 of 28 goals scored
Armia/Staal/Perry/JKO = 12 of 28 goals scored

so, again, if Vegas neutralizes Suzuki's line, we will need Staal & JKO's line to produce... not sure what can be more objectively accurate than that.

no issue with critique or counter points, but at least offer something better than "it worked against the other guys so it's going to work now"... that is the epitome of not objectively looking at the task ahead of the group lol

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

sj315

Dec 5, 2017
Only reason last Sunday game wasn't on CBC was the Junos and the tragically hip.

Was just on the CBC engine looks like they'll have all the games for both series.
At first the game 5 is not on CBC but they changed. Now all on CBC.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Honestly, I have no idea what to expect. Knights have been good for a while now and they added Pietrangelo. They will give us a test with their overall team D, goaltending, and good depth up front. However, I feel our regular season results don't indicate how good this Habs teams is.

The focus with the Habs is to limit turnovers and mistakes in key areas of the ice. If we can do that, we will be in the thick of this series and we definitely have a shot. I can't stress this enough... turnovers due to dilly dallying with the puck in our own end killed us for a few seasons now. I really do feel that not many understand the reasons why we struggled and the reasons why we are where we are today

I watched the Avs/Knights closely over the last few games. Avs are dangerous offensively but they got smoked with turnovers and players not committed to be in position. They allowed some weak goals too. Habs know what they need to do and it's the same as we did in the last 7 games. Play smart and within the system.

Trust the system with Price in net!

Pricer, stop da puck... MB's vision from day one indeed :naughty::laugh:

turnovers... yup... but keeping that down against a team with the mix of skill, skating and physicality of the Knights will be a tall order. Especially with how poor or puck-moving is from the back end, made even more problematic if Petry is out. Expecting a ridiculous amount of icings from the usual suspects on our D.

Suzuki, JKO and Danault are going to have to play incredible hockey both to help us exit the zone and to create something in transition.

Tall order for this group. Hopefully Staal/Perry still have gas in the tank, and Gally & Anderson are able to bring a bit more after the extra rest.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

so, again, if Vegas neutralizes Suzuki's line, we will need Staal & JKO's line to produce... not sure what can be more objectively accurate than that.

no issue with critique or counter points, but at least offer something better than "it worked against the other guys so it's going to work now"... that is the epitome of not objectively looking at the task ahead of the group lol

And Montréal isn’t Minnesota or Colorado. Much more structured with a huge punishing defence, on top of a goalie that is on a mission.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pricer, stop da puck... MB's vision from day one indeed :naughty::laugh:

turnovers... yup... but keeping that down against a team with the mix of skill, skating and physicality of the Knights will be a tall order. Especially with how poor or puck-moving is from the back end, made even more problematic if Petry is out. Expecting a ridiculous amount of icings from the usual suspects on our D.

Suzuki, JKO and Danault are going to have to play incredible hockey both to help us exit the zone and to create something in transition.

Tall order for this group. Hopefully Staal/Perry still have gas in the tank, and Gally & Anderson are able to bring a bit more after the extra rest.

Edge to the Knights. Some context below but most of this is thrown out the window after game 1 and it's then a game of adjustments and who can do that better as the series goes along. I think this goes 6 or 7 games.

Let me know if you see any errors. I did it quick before I'm about to head out for a round of golf.

Habs:

* PK = 90.3% (ranks 1st)
* PP = 18.8% (ranks 8th)
* Shots/game = 30
* Shots allowed/game = 30.8
* Goals for/game = 2.55
* Goals against/game = 2.18
* Face off winning % = 49%
* Hits/60 = 34.16
* Blocks/60 = 14.78
* Giveaways/60 = 13.81
* Takeaways/60 = 5.4

Knights:
* PK = 71.4% (ranks 12th)
* PP = 14.3% (ranks 14th)
* Shots/game = 32.1
* Shots allowed/game = 25.9
* Goals for/game = 3.08
* Goals against/game = 2.38
* Face off winning % = 54.9
* Hits/60 = 39.14
* Blocks/60 = 19
* Giveaways/60 = 7.48
* Takeaways/60 = 9.99

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It's CTV, it's not like it's Quebecor... and we could say that all 3 teams left with the habs have more Quebecers on their rosters than the habs...

Interestingly enough, not a word when Habs completed the comeback against the Leafs or the sweep of the Jets about this xenophobic crap.

Not to mention:

1) William Carrier: Sabres sent a 6th round pick to Vegas to ensure they select Carrier.
2) Jonathan Marchessault: Panthers traded Reilly Smith to Vegas to ensure they select Marchesseault.
3) Marc-Andre Fleury: Pens traded their 2nd round pick to Vegas to ensure they select Fleury.
4) Nicolas Roy: Acquired via trade from Hurricanes for Erik Haula.

So aside from Roy, all of their Quebec-born players were selected in the expansion draft with incentive. Hardly something to preach about.

By the way, did any of you see one radio personality wrote that he wished the Habs lose only so they can see that not having enough Quebec-born players is hurting them:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
And Montréal isn’t Minnesota or Colorado. Much more structured with a huge punishing defence, on top of a goalie that is on a mission.

yup... Price will need to be at his best. Outdueled Helleybuck, and will need to be even more definitively better than fleury.

that "punishing" defense got absolutely shell shocked by Toronto. Vegas is both just as dangerous offensively and far more imposing physically. Much more difficult match-up for our lumbering group that defaulted to icing the puck religiously to stem the pressure Toronto was able to put on.

I didn't watch much of Minnesota this year, so can't comment on their "structure"... though for how much better they did despite a roster that didn't look like a playoff-worthy team and had several young guys stepping in, i'd be surprised to know that they didn't have a tight, structured approach.

Your assessment of COlorado as "less structured" i don't think is accurate. A team doesn't post the second fewest GA, in front of a goalie like Grubauer, without playing pretty structured hockey. They have the horses to take more risks and open things up, sure, but that doesn't mean they weren't structured. They dismantled the blues easily, giving up less than 2 goals/game and holding them to 27 shots/game. In game 5 & 6, they held vegas to 23 & 25 shots against and still lost. Vegas is just that good.

Justsayin

Jul 2, 2019

Well
Armia/Staal/Perry - also 8 goals
KKO/Anderson/Byron - 6 goals
lehks/Danault/Gallagher - 4 goals

That's about as "all lines producing" as we can really expect. If anything, it's the Danault line (or all of them really) that need to produce a little more. IMO

Nephasted

Jan 29, 2018
Because we gonna need it:

Im pretty Sure Its possible to split que bell center in four disctint area... With 4 dicstint enter to have 10 000 people at the next bell center game!

Habs in 7 with an amazing carey Price performence!

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Well

That's about as "all lines producing" as we can really expect. If anything, it's the Danault line (or all of them really) that need to produce a little more. IMO
Their job is to make sure the other teams top line doesn't go apeshit and light the lamp multiple times a game while chipping in here and there. Their offensive production has been decent given their main priority.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Edge to the Knights. Some context below but most of this is thrown out the window after game 1 and it's then a game of adjustments and who can do that better as the series goes along. I think this goes 6 or 7 games.

Let me know if you see any errors. I did it quick before I'm about to head out for a round of golf.

Habs:

* PK = 90.3% (ranks 1st)
* PP = 18.8% (ranks 8th)
* Shots/game = 30
* Shots allowed/game = 30.8
* Goals for/game = 2.55
* Goals against/game = 2.18
* Face off winning % = 49%
* Hits/60 = 34.16
* Blocks/60 = 14.78
* Giveaways/60 = 13.81
* Takeaways/60 = 5.4

Knights:
* PK = 71.4% (ranks 12th)
* PP = 14.3% (ranks 14th)
* Shots/game = 32.1
* Shots allowed/game = 25.9
* Goals for/game = 3.08
* Goals against/game = 2.38
* Face off winning % = 54.9
* Hits/60 = 39.14
* Blocks/60 = 19
* Giveaways/60 = 7.48
* Takeaways/60 = 9.99

this is the playoff stats, no?

considering one team just swept a deeply flawed Jets team missing it's top forward and top dman... and the other just took out the regular season #1 team and the stanley cup favorite to start the post season... not sure this comparison holds much value right from puck drop.

does highlight that we'll need to really up our Face off win rate, especially with the likelihood that we see a repeat of the first round icing-fest.... and get those turnovers down.

the numbers are probably best ignored by our guys... winning this series is going to take a monumental effort and a bunch of lucky bounces. I've got no doubt we'll compete like hell, and that's really the most we can ask of this group.

Reactions: dinodebino

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Well

anderson scored in game 1, playing on suzuki's line iirc.
byron scored a PK goal.

but yeah, we did have solid contributions from all 4 lines overall. Offensively, Suzuki/Toffoli and Staal/Perry/Armia did the bulk of the 5/5 production (with JKO chipping in his share).

my point was simply that i suspect Suzuki's line will be hard pressed to keep up/match the output they created through the first two rounds... The Knights defend much better than Winnipeg or Toronto, and have both elite shut down forwards and a legit #1 minute-eating shut-down dman, elements that neither the Jets or Laffs had. Suzuki's line will be targeted much more intensely than they were in the first two rounds.

so it will be even more imperative that the JKO and Staal lines are able to increase their productivity. I've kinda written off Danault's line, they chip in the odd goal but his approach and gally's uneven recovery seriously limits their reliability as an offensive contributor.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Vegas has the better players but so did the Leafs and Jets. They have a d- man in Alex P (not attempting to spell that) better than any we have faced. They have Stone up front better than anything we have faced. Fleury is good but he is not Hellebucyk good. Vegas is also a better team than those two. The only saving grace will be our big lumbering defense. Nobody likes getting hit. The wild almost beat them in large part due to their physical defence. Vegas scored a lot against Avs because Avs defense while mobile is not punishing. Given our D and Price's rebound control they will not get the second chance goals they got against Colorado.

I'm a realist - they are not our ideal opponent but there is a chance. Make Fleury move laterally and then take advantage of the out of positions. Punish their forwards in front of Price and slow the game down. it will be a low scoring series if we want to win. Also we have some bodies up front who can be physical with their D as well.

Toastman

Oct 12, 2011
Just the thought of Montreal going to the finals is crazy! Let’s not pull a 2010 !

GO HABS GO !!

Toastman

Oct 12, 2011
Just remember everyone, we beat the Laffs, who were the division champs. We can do this !

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
That is indeed a problem. But this team, for whatever reason, seems, with the grace of those very fickle hockey gods, to have an ability to overcome the odds and challenges it faces. Will it continue? Who knows? But if Montreal, without Petry, or a limited Petry, can beat Vegas, then Tampa or the Islanders are clearly doomed and history will look back at this run as being the most improbable of runs since Montreal won in 1971. But that's still a long way off. But as fans, we should enjoy the magic as long as it lasts. And should reality impose its will and the team be eliminated, I would hope that such an eventuality (inevitability?) will not see a cascade of vitriol being hurled against the team's management, players, etc. What they have accomplished with a clearly flawed team has been nothing short of remarkable and such accomplishments should be acknowledged. I, like many posters here, have been critical of Bergevin's management decisions. And nothing that has happened or will happen, will undo the many mistakes that has occurred during his tenure. But if it is appropriate to criticize his mistakes, it is also proper to praise him for his successes, no matter how improbable.

Post of the year

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Vegas has the better players but so did the Leafs and Jets. They have a d- man in Alex P (not attempting to spell that) better than any we have faced. They have Stone up front better than anything we have faced. Fleury is good but he is not Hellebucyk good. Vegas is also a better team than those two. The only saving grace will be our big lumbering defense. Nobody likes getting hit. The wild almost beat them in large part due to their physical defence. Vegas scored a lot against Avs because Avs defense while mobile is not punishing. Given our D and Price's rebound control they will not get the second chance goals they got against Colorado.

I'm a realist - they are not our ideal opponent but there is a chance. Make Fleury move laterally and then take advantage of the out of positions. Punish their forwards in front of Price and slow the game down. it will be a low scoring series if we want to win. Also we have some bodies up front who can be physical with their D as well.

Nailed it. Fleury's been sensational but he's a bit of a mad man out there. Get good position in front of him and bang in those rebounds.

Reactions: CDN24

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
That is indeed a problem. But this team, for whatever reason, seems, with the grace of those very fickle hockey gods, to have an ability to overcome the odds and challenges it faces. Will it continue? Who knows? But if Montreal, without Petry, or a limited Petry, can beat Vegas, then Tampa or the Islanders are clearly doomed and history will look back at this run as being the most improbable of runs since Montreal won in 1971. But that's still a long way off. But as fans, we should enjoy the magic as long as it lasts. And should reality impose its will and the team be eliminated, I would hope that such an eventuality (inevitability?) will not see a cascade of vitriol being hurled against the team's management, players, etc. What they have accomplished with a clearly flawed team has been nothing short of remarkable and such accomplishments should be acknowledged. I, like many posters here, have been critical of Bergevin's management decisions. And nothing that has happened or will happen, will undo the many mistakes that has occurred during his tenure. But if it is appropriate to criticize his mistakes, it is also proper to praise him for his successes, no matter how improbable.
Haaaa, you're the voice of reason, my great military mind!

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Late start times are really unfortunate but it is what it is. Cant really complain when we still have a shot at the cup.

Reactions: Milhouse40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad