GDT: Game 1: Flyers @ Coyotes ~ 10/15/2016 ~ 18:00 PDT ~ FS-A

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Domi and Dvorak were out ther together in OT. They spent the entire time pinned in the defensive zone.

The Flyers already had possession. You are implying they went out there on a faceoff or something and lost possession. It's a bit different.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
To be clear, you think Chicken is being show cased for a trade. That is what you are saying in this post?

Yes that is what I am saying. He could be part of a deal for Trouba. He is worth more playing in the NHL versus juniors and won't be too exposed the first 9 games as the play is sloppy anyway. With Kconn out, Chicken is our best option. I see him traded or sent down after 9 games. If he sticks, this is a brilliant mid first pick. He has a better chance of being traded than making the club.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I haven't seen a ton of trouba, but I'd be very hesitant to move Chychrun. He's looked damn good so far.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yes that is what I am saying. He could be part of a deal for Trouba. He is worth more playing in the NHL versus juniors and won't be too exposed the first 9 games as the play is sloppy anyway. With Kconn out, Chicken is our best option. I see him traded or sent down after 9 games. If he sticks, this is a brilliant mid first pick. He has a better chance of being traded than making the club.

I usually agree with you Cobra, but not on this one. He has size, talent, a great skater, and as far as I can tell his hockey IQ is good. That is a very rare to have that in a Dman. FO might have been thinking of trading him before training camp, but I think he turned heads. I wouldn't trade him even up for Trouba. Think about it for a second. We trade a LD for a RD on this team we will be weak on the LD and have extra NHL calibre RD. In all honestly I would trade Murphy or Stone before Chychurn in a deal for Trouba.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

No.

I don't see the idea of trading a guy whom you traded up for. If we were at #16 all along, Chychrun fell to us, and we were in a "let's take BPA" type of situation, then there may be some context to this.

In the roster discussion thread, I brought up an idea that maybe Strome was a scratch b/c of trade chatter. When you look at the young players, here is how I perceive management's view on them:

Dvorak: obviously very high in management's eyes since he is playing in a lot of situations at the NHL level (PK time, PP time, OT, etc.). Wonder who had more say on this pick - Chayka or Maloney?

Chychrun: obviously high b/c he was the 6th D and Chayka has already stated that the team was interested in him at #7, and then made a move to get him at draft.

Crouse: obviously management likes him and I think his size is what is keeping him here (and McGinn's injury). The fact that they traded for him means there was a high level of interest.

Strome: I wonder how married management is to him. It is possible that Chayka wanted to trade the #3 pick for Hamilton, only to be spurned by Maloney? Maloney is gone and Dvorak looks like the more complete player, for now. Maybe Strome passes him in the future. I always feel like when Chayka described Strome, it was more of a "This is the guy that our analytics showed as the best player." Sounds good out of a GM who preaches analytics, but that doesn't necessarily make Strome the guy that was wanted by our management. We simply had no other partner to trade with and DM running the show could have influenced that. I feel like most conversations regarding Strome are Maloney's words, and when Chayka is asked about Strome, it doesn't sound quite as positive as say, Clayton Keller, for example. Keller was the "guy we wanted all along," per Chayka. I don't know if I have quite heard the same ringing type of endorsement regarding Strome, although it is unfair for me to say that, considering Strome was one of the next best players after two generational players get drafted.

I, for one, would not want to move Chychrun, and if we were to consider trading a young player, I'd almost say that the team is more likely to move Strome instead of any of the other rookies that we currently have. But the idea of moving any of our young talent is pretty slim anyhow.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No.

I don't see the idea of trading a guy whom you traded up for. If we were at #16 all along, Chychrun fell to us, and we were in a "let's take BPA" type of situation, then there may be some context to this.

In the roster discussion thread, I brought up an idea that maybe Strome was a scratch b/c of trade chatter. When you look at the young players, here is how I perceive management's view on them:

Dvorak: obviously very high in management's eyes since he is playing in a lot of situations at the NHL level (PK time, PP time, OT, etc.). Wonder who had more say on this pick - Chayka or Maloney?

Chychrun: obviously high b/c he was the 6th D and Chayka has already stated that the team was interested in him at #7, and then made a move to get him at draft.

Crouse: obviously management likes him and I think his size is what is keeping him here (and McGinn's injury). The fact that they traded for him means there was a high level of interest.

Strome: I wonder how married management is to him. It is possible that Chayka wanted to trade the #3 pick for Hamilton, only to be spurned by Maloney? Maloney is gone and Dvorak looks like the more complete player, for now. Maybe Strome passes him in the future. I always feel like when Chayka described Strome, it was more of a "This is the guy that our analytics showed as the best player." Sounds good out of a GM who preaches analytics, but that doesn't necessarily make Strome the guy that was wanted by our management. We simply had no other partner to trade with and DM running the show could have influenced that. I feel like most conversations regarding Strome are Maloney's words, and when Chayka is asked about Strome, it doesn't sound quite as positive as say, Clayton Keller, for example. Keller was the "guy we wanted all along," per Chayka. I don't know if I have quite heard the same ringing type of endorsement regarding Strome, although it is unfair for me to say that, considering Strome was one of the next best players after two generational players get drafted.

I, for one, would not want to move Chychrun, and if we were to consider trading a young player, I'd almost say that the team is more likely to move Strome instead of any of the other rookies that we currently have. But the idea of moving any of our young talent is pretty slim anyhow.

I wouldn't move any of our high end prospects at the moment. We are rebuilding, we will not contend this year so why trade away a high end prospect after so much pain in acquiring them. Let' wait and see how they develop this year, we are in no rush. Now, if you are talking Garland, Wood, Merkley etc. that is another story.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Moving Strome kills our center depth unless you can bank on Keller playing the position. However, I wonder if Strome just doesn't fit into how Chayka wants to rebuild. Maybe he is more interested in someone like Barzal to take that spot and have center depth that is more similar to Boston rather than a true number one scoring center and a more two-way 2C. I would hope they have the patience to see what they have in Strome before moving him however, because we desperately need a true 1C and I would hate to see him moved before getting a chance.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
I got too excited this game..
For the first time I stood up and pounded the glass and turned around, jumping up and down, and waving at the Flyers fans (who live in Phoenix) who dominated my section....
That was dumb, I apologize and that behavior will never repeat itself again and I mean that.
I hope also that they will come back on the 29th with some Coyotes gear and support their cities team as their 2nd favorite team.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Moving Strome kills our center depth unless you can bank on Keller playing the position. However, I wonder if Strome just doesn't fit into how Chayka wants to rebuild. Maybe he is more interested in someone like Barzal to take that spot and have center depth that is more similar to Boston rather than a true number one scoring center and a more two-way 2C. I would hope they have the patience to see what they have in Strome before moving him however, because we desperately need a true 1C and I would hate to see him moved before getting a chance.

Agree that maybe Strome is not the fit that we wanted. Not certain if it kills our C depth, since we still have MacInnis, maybe Keller stays at C, but it definitely hurts the depth. I would expect that we get a C back if Strome were in a trade. I just get the message from Chayka that he needs committed two way players with speed and some offensive acumen. The speed thing is what is lacking on Strome's part for certain. Everything else is kind of development process stuff that we can't necessarily give up on.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I usually agree with you Cobra, but not on this one. He has size, talent, a great skater, and as far as I can tell his hockey IQ is good. That is a very rare to have that in a Dman. FO might have been thinking of trading him before training camp, but I think he turned heads. I wouldn't trade him even up for Trouba. Think about it for a second. We trade a LD for a RD on this team we will be weak on the LD and have extra NHL calibre RD. In all honestly I would trade Murphy or Stone before Chychurn in a deal for Trouba.

I'm not going to argue the trade values, I'm just speculating that they might be show casing Chicken, Jets want a young LHD, for up to 9 games. If they really want Trouba and think he is a 1RHD and think Murphy and Stone are not, I could see this strategy being deployed. Chicken will be likely behind OEL/Gogo for years.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I haven't seen a ton of trouba, but I'd be very hesitant to move Chychrun. He's looked damn good so far.

If you consider needs, fit, and cost in terms of assets and dollars, Chychrun is probably going to be a better player for the Coyotes than Trouba for the next 3 years.

Trading Strome would be lol. Kid hasn't even gotten a game yet, cool yer jets.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I'm not going to argue the trade values, I'm just speculating that they might be show casing Chicken, Jets want a young LHD, for up to 9 games. If they really want Trouba and think he is a 1RHD and think Murphy and Stone are not, I could see this strategy being deployed. Chicken will be likely behind OEL/Gogo for years.

If chicken maintains his play and then progresses at a prospect of his level should, he could be replacing Gogo by next year. Even if it wasn't until the following year, that's just fine. That is what you want.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If chicken maintains his play and then progresses at a prospect of his level should, he could be replacing Gogo by next year. Even if it wasn't until the following year, that's just fine. That is what you want.

Gogo won't be a 5 mill+ third pairing D unless he is a disaster. If chicken plays that well, they would trade Gogo. I wouldn't expect it based on his limited time, one game so far. Assuming the Coyotes sign OEL, they have their top 2LHD (OEL/GoGo) set for years. It depends on what they think of Murphy and if they plan on signing Stone. If Murphy is going to be a solid 1RHD and they sign Stone, the Coyotes are set in their top 4.

Murphy is the question mark versus Trouba? If Tip/Chayka think Trouba is way better than Murphy, I could see them making a deal including chicken for Trouba. They could then trade Stone once he is playing well by the TDL. They can't afford all 3 RHD's.

I like Murphy and Chicken both, just think chicken could be trade bait. At the 9 game mark, we will find out for sure if Chicken is still here.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Gogo won't be a 5 mill+ third pairing D unless he is a disaster. If chicken plays that well, they would trade Gogo. I wouldn't expect it based on his limited time, one game so far. Assuming the Coyotes sign OEL, they have their top 2LHD (OEL/GoGo) set for years. It depends on what they think of Murphy and if they plan on signing Stone. If Murphy is going to be a solid 1RHD and they sign Stone, the Coyotes are set in their top 4.

Murphy is the question mark versus Trouba? If Tip/Chayka think Trouba is way better than Murphy, I could see them making a deal including chicken for Trouba. They could then trade Stone once he is playing well by the TDL. They can't afford all 3 RHD's.

I like Murphy and Chicken both, just think chicken could be trade bait. At the 9 game mark, we will find out for sure if Chicken is still here.

Chychrun has size, skill, speed and smarts. Not one of our Dman except OEL have all of these qualities. I'am not say he is as good or will be as good as OEL, but I believe he has all the tools to be our second best Dman. I know it is a small sample size but just watching this kid you know he could be something special. Don't forget, he is only 18 yo. I would rather send him back to junior than lose him in a trade. Same goes for Strome.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
We finally got that potential franchise centerman we've always wanted, plus shored up our defense with a fantastic prospect (which was much needed), and one game into the season we're discussing the possibility of trading them away. :laugh:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Gogo can play RD.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We finally got that potential franchise centerman we've always wanted, plus shored up our defense with a fantastic prospect (which was much needed), and one game into the season we're discussing the possibility of trading them away. :laugh:

Crazy. Plain crazy.:nod:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If you consider needs, fit, and cost in terms of assets and dollars, Chychrun is probably going to be a better player for the Coyotes than Trouba for the next 3 years.

Trading Strome would be lol. Kid hasn't even gotten a game yet, cool yer jets.

This.:nod:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
A couple posters talking about maybe trading Strome =/= some consensus or discussion to the point where it's even worth mentioning. The anti fan panic pushback is just as unwarranted.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00