GDT: Game 1: Flyers @ Coyotes ~ 10/15/2016 ~ 18:00 PDT ~ FS-A

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
On the upcoming road trip, we get Ottawa on the back end of a back-to-back. They play Detroit Monday and the Coyotes on Tuesday. On Thursday and Friday we play Montreal and NYI back-to-back. The Rangers play the Caps on Saturday night and then us on Sunday night. Then we go at least a week without a back-to-back or playing someone on the back end of one.

Hope Louie plays either Thursday or Friday. No need to run Smith for the B2B. Plus, Louie did well last year vs. both of those teams.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Nobody goes to coyotes games.

The arena was 85 to 90 percent full, so I'll believe it really was a sellout. There were blocks of empty seats randomly distributed, but not the entire empty sections that we see on weeknights. The light show would have looked about the same with nobody in attendance, since the wristbands were mounted on top of the seat backs.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
How good was chychrun?

Surprisingly good, I think, for an 18 year old. Jumped up into a play to create a goal- which shows confidence- but later got burned by Matt Read. Embarrassed, totally beat 1on1.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Surprisingly good, I think, for an 18 year old. Jumped up into a play to create a goal- which shows confidence- but later got burned by Matt Read. Embarrassed, totally beat 1on1.

He lost the puck battle which was bouncing and I think he thought he could get it, but he should have played the man.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
How good was chychrun?

If he plays like that all season, some scouts are getting fired. On other teams. Not an Ekblad level impact by any stretch but he was damn good for what time he had. His goal against was due to him blowing a tire it looked like.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Frankly, I'd have Dvorak/Domi/OEL to start, I'd then follow that up with Martinook, Duclair & Goligoski (or Chychrun)

Martinook was a center in the OHL, he can take FO if need be. Keller would be ideal but we don't have him yet.

Domi and Dvorak were out ther together in OT. They spent the entire time pinned in the defensive zone.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If he plays like that all season, some scouts are getting fired. On other teams. Not an Ekblad level impact by any stretch but he was damn good for what time he had. His goal against was due to him blowing a tire it looked like.

Extremely impressive.

He might be the player that jumps directly from junior to the NHL.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Any minds get changed either way about Chychrun staying up or going down after his first game? I still wouldn't mind seeing him sent down to work on his offensive game, but he's going to make it very difficult if he keeps playing like he did.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Chychrun is that impressive for 9 games, I'd let him play 10. If he has slowed down by December, send him to the WJCs and back to junior to save a UFA year, at least. If he's still playing lights out in December, he's an nhler. So we burn the ELC year and the UFA year. It's not really losing those years if he's contributing and developing. I expect, though, that we'll see some cracks developing by game nine and he ends back in Sarnia with a huge amount of confidence.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If Chychrun is that impressive for 9 games, I'd let him play 10. If he has slowed down by December, send him to the WJCs and back to junior to save a UFA year, at least. If he's still playing lights out in December, he's an nhler. So we burn the ELC year and the UFA year. It's not really losing those years if he's contributing and developing. I expect, though, that we'll see some cracks developing by game nine and he ends back in Sarnia with a huge amount of confidence.

I don't think the Coyotes give a damn about a ELC. One thing that Playfair mentioned when asked about keeping a kid in the line up, he said "can they help us win". That is all the coaches care about. In Chychrun's case the answer is yes. He is better right now than KConn, who is really his only competition for that position. It will be interesting 9 games.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
yep. Even the best d-men get burned occasionally. Overall great first game.

Also, what the hell was McBain doing? Vrbata also played that poorly, but Chychrun should have played the man.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Any minds get changed either way about Chychrun staying up or going down after his first game? I still wouldn't mind seeing him sent down to work on his offensive game, but he's going to make it very difficult if he keeps playing like he did.

Has he been impressive enough to date? Yes, but we need to (and can) give it more time, a longer look.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Domi and Dvorak were out ther together in OT. They spent the entire time pinned in the defensive zone.

Yeppers and that signifies the intent and purpose of attempting to gain possession early (face off win) and experience. No doubt the mindset was to gain possession, try to create some opportunity while keeping possession and then get the lads on the ice.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

I still wonder if he can't develop a little more offensive creativity and offensive zone playmaking ability, and work on his shot accuracy better in juniors. Maybe that's just never going to be his game though, and in that case you'd send him down for basically no reason.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
yep. Even the best d-men get burned occasionally. Overall great first game.

Yup....... Keith DAMMIT Yandle comes to mind....... often. :)

If Chychrun logs it as a learning experience and improves off of it then he'll be fine.

I only got to see the edited replay of the game but he did great for an 18 year old kid in his first NHL game.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
That is all the coaches care about.
Which is exactly why organizations typically separate the role of coach and GM. One cares about only the W while the other one gets to care about development, contracts, ELCs, etc and find some sort of balance. We don't have that.
"Is it worth burning a year of ELC and possibly stunting this prospect to claw our way up to 12ov draft position" or "should we trade a 1st and second rounder for Langkow" are questions I want someone other than "NHL is not a development league" Dave answering.

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
... did great for an 18 year old kid in his first NHL game.

It's amazing that any 18 yo can play in the NHL. Take the best HS corner back, and have him try and cover an NFL wide receiver. Catastrophe comes to mind.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It's amazing that any 18 yo can play in the NHL. Take the best HS corner back, and have him try and cover an NFL wide receiver. Catastrophe comes to mind.

Really only the elite 18 year olds in COLLEGE football play well right away, or play at all, nevermind the pros. I agree playing in the NHL at 18 at all is crazy, playing at a high level is a whole new level. Steal of the draft so far, though it is very very early obviously.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't think the Coyotes give a damn about a ELC. One thing that Playfair mentioned when asked about keeping a kid in the line up, he said "can they help us win". That is all the coaches care about. In Chychrun's case the answer is yes. He is better right now than KConn, who is really his only competition for that position. It will be interesting 9 games.

I think he is being show cased. If he isn't traded, he goes back down after 9 games, Crouse too.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Why would the FO trade the guy who fell to them that they thought was worth a top 10 pick?

You never get full value in prospect trades and effective ELCs are gold to the Coyotes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad