GDT: Game 1: Flyers @ Coyotes ~ 10/15/2016 ~ 18:00 PDT ~ FS-A

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
the OT period should feature skill & speed

if you don't fit those categories then you don't play period.

On the backend that leaves OEL, Chychrun and possibly Goligoski w/future DeAngelo

On the frontend that leaves Domi/Duclair/Dvorak/Rieder/Martinook

that's it. The 3 participants should be made up of those candidates.

Best 3 on 3 player in All Star history.

nhl-all-star-game-2016-article1.jpg

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Wasn't that his former team as well? Probably a bigger part of why he got the belt than his actual play. Nook and Richardson were our best yesterday.

Yes. White played for the Flyers last year.

The person who determines who gets the belt is the previous owner and in this case it was Doan. It's player award..... not a fan one.

So if people want to second guess the his notice they should probably take it up there. ;)

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I'm pleased to see Martinook hasn't fallen off like the other AHLers that made our team in the past. Looks much better w/ the eye-test, too.

Far cry from when we were all considering him a bust never to make the NHL. Recreated himself from prolific junior scorer to a fast, physical, defensively sound forward.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Dvo's game reminded me of him during the first game or two of the WJC. Fairly hesitant and a bit slow on the decision making being unused to the speed of the game. Give him a handful of games and he's gonna be solid

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
He always starts Richardson, and I know that Richardson is good at FO, but it seems that we always lose the FO in OT and we end up getting stuck in our D zone the entire time.

With soooo much ice available, the 3on3 is built for speed and skill. How could it not?

Slow players like Murphy & Hanzal & Richardson & Doan aren't made for it plain and simple.

The 3on3 is similar to Roller Hockey where puck possession is 99% of the game...and I know that having fast skilled guys make it much easier to regain possession and keep it rather than slower players that allow the other team to keep possession the entire time because they can't get it back.

Who's going to win a race against the Philly forwards? Richardson, Murphy? I don't think so.

But I fully expect to see Richardson/OEL and a slow forward or defense put in from Tippett for every 3on3 period. And we will lose most of those, we were lucky last night if it had not been for Smith's brilliant saves and Domi's blocks.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
In my 5th year of being a STH, this was in my opinion, the most exciting game Ive ever seen.
I didn't see the 4 games that Ive missed since 2011, but this by far was the most excited that Ive been since I planted myself in the seats years ago.
I was so exhausted by it, that I couldn't do my Sunday long run.
It was worth it though.
I sure hope this team is here for years and years to come..and what a pre-game show.
The club let out all the stops.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm pleased to see Martinook hasn't fallen off like the other AHLers that made our team in the past. Looks much better w/ the eye-test, too.

Far cry from when we were all considering him a bust never to make the NHL. Recreated himself from prolific junior scorer to a fast, physical, defensively sound forward.

Or when some thought that Lessio and Brown were the second coming. Man have we been talent starved. Our organization was running bare bones. What a nice change.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Dvo's game reminded me of him during the first game or two of the WJC. Fairly hesitant and a bit slow on the decision making being unused to the speed of the game. Give him a handful of games and he's gonna be solid

Last year that was DM's concern.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The pregame thing with the lights/wristbands got some pretty good reviews from the Philly media. Looked good on TV. Hope it did live too.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
The pregame thing with the lights/wristbands got some pretty good reviews from the Philly media. Looked good on TV. Hope it did live too.

It was super cool in person. Much improved over the Coyotes eyes.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He always starts Richardson, and I know that Richardson is good at FO, but it seems that we always lose the FO in OT and we end up getting stuck in our D zone the entire time.

With soooo much ice available, the 3on3 is built for speed and skill. How could it not?

Slow players like Murphy & Hanzal & Richardson & Doan aren't made for it plain and simple.

The 3on3 is similar to Roller Hockey where puck possession is 99% of the game...and I know that having fast skilled guys make it much easier to regain possession and keep it rather than slower players that allow the other team to keep possession the entire time because they can't get it back.

Who's going to win a race against the Philly forwards? Richardson, Murphy? I don't think so.

But I fully expect to see Richardson/OEL and a slow forward or defense put in from Tippett for every 3on3 period. And we will lose most of those, we were lucky last night if it had not been for Smith's brilliant saves and Domi's blocks.

I would change it up a bit more myself, but last night who would you have taking the draw in OT? You also have to think about the next two or three shifts and who played good that game and who gives you the best chance to win. That is why OT is exciting.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Indeed. This team is really fun to watch.

Absolutely. When you play with speed, it forces the other team to play at a speed (too fast) they're uncomfortable with it, leading to mistakes and thus an opportunity for us to capitalize.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
In my 5th year of being a STH, this was in my opinion, the most exciting game Ive ever seen.
I didn't see the 4 games that Ive missed since 2011, but this by far was the most excited that Ive been since I planted myself in the seats years ago.
I was so exhausted by it, that I couldn't do my Sunday long run.
It was worth it though.
I sure hope this team is here for years and years to come..and what a pre-game show.
The club let out all the stops.

It was super cool in person. Much improved over the Coyotes eyes.

I'm glad you guys mentioned the pregame show. It was fantastic, very well done, first class.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I would change it up a bit more myself, but last night who would you have taking the draw in OT? You also have to think about the next two or three shifts and who played good that game and who gives you the best chance to win. That is why OT is exciting.

Frankly, I'd have Dvorak/Domi/OEL to start, I'd then follow that up with Martinook, Duclair & Goligoski (or Chychrun)

Martinook was a center in the OHL, he can take FO if need be. Keller would be ideal but we don't have him yet.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Raw skill is king in OT, because you just trade possession back and forth. Defensive ability isn't nearly as important as speed and passing. Using defensive players to start is just dumb.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
On the upcoming road trip, we get Ottawa on the back end of a back-to-back. They play Detroit Monday and the Coyotes on Tuesday. On Thursday and Friday we play Montreal and NYI back-to-back. The Rangers play the Caps on Saturday night and then us on Sunday night. Then we go at least a week without a back-to-back or playing someone on the back end of one.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
In case you missed it, like me, here it is:

Looks better in some ways on video than it did in the arena. Easier to see it all at once probably.

Too bad they didn't include a few more highlights from the more recent playoff runs and such in the intro video, it was like 1996-2000--------RIGHT NOW :laugh:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
In case you missed it, like me, here it is:

Thanks for posting that. The lines to get in were super long and my buddy showed up late. Usually I can get a few drinks and something to eat and get in right at 6p. This time it took like 15 minutes just to get through the front gate. Barely made it for the puck drop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad