GDT: Game 1 | Detroit Red Wings @ St. Louis Blues | 8:00 PM EST | FSD (HD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
hard to say at this point

DRW sucked so incredibly badly that there will almost certainly be changes in lines and pairings and roles.

i don't expect white to play on 1st pair or 1st PP, but he might.

i would suggest a different player, b/c i don't think white will be able to replicate his performance of last season b/c he will not be playing with lidstrom, and doubly so if separate from datsyuk.

Time to look for alternatives, dude, and the quicker the better before people realize White won't be putting up the numbers sans Lidstrom.

And props for your fantastic username- I control the mic like Fidel Castro.

Thanks for the quick answers, and thanks re: my name also. Time to start searching on the waiver wire or trying to swindle some poor mope!

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
It makes a lot of sense why Babcock reached out to Lidstrom to see if he would be interested in a 48 game season... He knew exactly what he was getting himself into with this D.

I'm pretty sure this never happened, given that Lidstrom is ineligible to play during the calendar year after his retirement.

HTT3*

I wouldn't really lump Mursak or Quincey in that group, and even Samuelsson is a stretch as he has played here under the same coach within the last few years, but hey if it makes you feel better go for it!

If you've ever played competitive sports you'd know you're not just going to jump back in with a team after 3? years and have complete gel. Not gonna happen.

You must not know Mursak got hurt and didn't play much time on the Wings. I hardly count 25 games over a year ago "time" to gel.

The facts remain the same, the team was not prepared and didn't have gel. You could tell the team didn't have gel after watching them play. They will get better as they gel.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
So were the Blues just cherry picking all game for those breakaways or were the legit defensive breakdowns? We got them on Monday and I'm curious.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So were the Blues just cherry picking all game for those breakaways or were the legit defensive breakdowns? We got them on Monday and I'm curious.

They just dominated without even using the highest gear.

This is the team to beat at West.

And it obvious that we are in deep trouble because of lots of changes and new faces in new roles and not time to adjust for them thanks to lockout and the short trainging camp.

Babcock has a lot to think about. First of all, he should split Z and Dats immediately. Both had 0 shots together, so that's about that "chemistry". Datsyuk is just huge waste of a total line as a winger, because at by himself he could create a dangerous line with two pylons.

And why did Z took those faceoffs? he was 14% at the circle. Datsyuk took the PP faceoffs and was 83%. And he was best FO man at KHL. It should be a no-brainer that Datsyuk takes a faceoff always nevertheless the other players are on the ice.

Dats should also be the main man to have the puck and have his own line. When Z goes with Brunner, Pavel is almost useless there.

Mistakes in lines, but fixable mistakes.

Last edited:

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I'm actually glad we're having a season; it lets a take a year off of all our contracts and puts us a year closer to a true rebuild. Imagine if they had tolled the contracts forward a year; we'd be stuck with this crap until 2015.

I can't believe Holland actually expected Tootoo\Samuelsson\Bertuzzi would be better than Nyquist, or even Tatar.

I've said it before, I'll say it again; the purse strings have been tightened for now until Mr. I gets a world series. That's why we keep trying out 900k undrafted Euros and picking over other teams garbage. That's the only explanation for the mind-boggling state of this roster.

Last edited:

JBauerly97

Jan 8, 2013
Coldwater, MI
On the other hand it was nice to see the Griffins putting pucks in the net and showing their toughness. Man I wish some of those guys were in Detroit right now.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
On the other hand it was nice to see the Griffins putting pucks in the net and showing their toughness. Man I wish some of those guys were in Detroit right now.

Let's be honest; none of these guys will be on the team until they are out of AHL years. We won't see Ouellet on the roster until 2018.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
hit stats from nhl.com

franzen 3 hits
cleary 3 hits
abdelkalder 2 hits
emmerton 1 hit
ericsson 1 hit
quincey 1 hit
tootoo 1 hit
brunner 0 hits
colaiacovo 0 hits
datsyuk 0 hits
flippula 0 hits
kronwall 0 hits
miller 0 hits
mursak 0 hits
samuelsson 0 hits
smith 0 hits
white 0 hits
zetterberg 0 hits

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I've said it before, I'll say it again; the purse strings have been tightened for now until Mr. I gets a world series. That's why we keep trying out 900k undrafted Euros and picking over other teams garbage. That's the only explanation for the mind-boggling state of this roster.

The idea of an internal cap seemed far-fetched not too long ago but the last 1-2 years it's something the facts bear out. We don't know the exact financial situation of the Ilitchs and that salary bill for the Tigers is pretty hefty.

I think the Wings are in a very vulnerable position here, there's already been a lot of apathy with regards to the Wings in the last couple of years. If the Wings miss the playoffs and it becomes obvious that the team isn't competing, attendance could drop off perilously. And with much reduced revenue it isn't likely the team would spend more.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
You must not know Mursak got hurt and didn't play much time on the Wings. I hardly count 25 games over a year ago "time" to gel.
When Mursak plays in the NHL, Mursak gets hurt....and that hasn't changed. He won't be around much longer, he can't take the physical game at this level....especially on this team.

St Louis imposed their will from the outset and Detroit had no answers. The Captain got sat on his arse, and there was no reply. Kinda sad, this team is going to be physically dominated on most nights. Nyquist or Tatar are not going to change that either. They would just be getting in line for the abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad