GDT: Game 1 | Detroit Red Wings @ St. Louis Blues | 8:00 PM EST | FSD (HD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
F's sucked ass, too, but taking only 14 shots is partly the d-men's fault. they could barely get out of the defensive zone, and looked confused generally. plus teams generally lose morale and play worse when they're losing 4-0.

I think the D completed more passes to the Blues than to their own forwards. CC almost looked like he forgot which team he signed with.

Even more cheery news:

Here's the cream of the under-35 2013 UFA defense class:

Hainsey
Regehr
Whitney
Leopold
White
Smid

That's it, folks. And I suspect the Oilers will extend Smid before he hits the market.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
I think the D completed more passes to the Blues than to their own forwards. CC almost looked like he forgot which team he signed with.

Even more cheery news:

Here's the cream of the under-35 2013 UFA defense class:

Hainsey
Regehr
Whitney
Leopold
White
Smid

That's it, folks. And I suspect the Oilers will extend Smid before he hits the market.

We also learned last summer that the Red Wings aren't the hot destination anymore. Their is no guarantee we can sign a big name free agent without overpaying drastically. This team can only be rebuilt through the draft and trades and Holland only trades #1 picks, not players.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
We also learned last summer that the Red Wings aren't the hot destination anymore. Their is no guarantee we can sign a big name free agent without overpaying drastically. This team can only be rebuilt through the draft and trades and Holland only trades #1 picks, not players.

I kinda hope none of those guys I mentioned think Detroit is a hot destination. I wouldn't want the Wings throwing big money at any of them. Reminds me of the summer of Wisniewski - he did the Wings a huge favor by picking Columbus.

It might be a while before the Wings have a good defense again. And they probably will have to build it themselves rather than buying it off the shelf.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I kinda hope none of those guys I mentioned think Detroit is a hot destination. I wouldn't want the Wings throwing big money at any of them. Reminds me of the summer of Wisniewski - he did the Wings a huge favor by picking Columbus.

It might be a while before the Wings have a good defense again. And they probably will have to build it themselves rather than buying it off the shelf.

On the bright side we have some potential top end guys coming up, thought the only guy that may be ready in a season or 2 is Ouellet. We've got 4 or 5+ guys that could all potential be top 4 guys & that's before we pick Seth Jones this draft. :sarcasm:

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
On the bright side we have some potential top end guys coming up, thought the only guy that may be ready in a season or 2 is Ouellet. We've got 4 or 5+ guys that could all potential be top 4 guys & that's before we pick Seth Jones this draft. :sarcasm:

And a terrible season from the defense would help save millions on Jimmy's contract extension...

RedWingsNow*

"They were better than us from start to finish," coach Mike Babcock said. "They were quicker, more competitive around the puck. We gave them goals. I can think of four goals that were just gifts."

RedWingsNow*

"Well, obviously it was not the start we wanted," forward Henrik Zetterberg said. "I can't pinpoint just one thing.

"We didn't have the puck that much, and when we had the puck, we didn't shoot."

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
So, I live in Philadelphia and I didn't get a chance to watch the game. I have Ian White on my fantasy team based on his performance last year. Is he likely to get first pairing minutes or power play time this year or should I start looking for alternatives? Thanks for any info.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
I was wondering if someone would please post a link to your guy's postgame interviews, I'm not sure where to find them. Good luck with the rest of the season and I feel terrible that Carla Colaiacovo is on your team.

smurfyeah19

Feb 3, 2012
Just got home from the MSU bball and game watched it on DVR. That was one of the worst Red Wing performances I've ever seen. Yikes I feel like a Leafs fan

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
So, I live in Philadelphia and I didn't get a chance to watch the game. I have Ian White on my fantasy team based on his performance last year. Is he likely to get first pairing minutes or power play time this year or should I start looking for alternatives? Thanks for any info.
hard to say at this point

DRW sucked so incredibly badly that there will almost certainly be changes in lines and pairings and roles.

i don't expect white to play on 1st pair or 1st PP, but he might.

i would suggest a different player, b/c i don't think white will be able to replicate his performance of last season b/c he will not be playing with lidstrom, and doubly so if separate from datsyuk.

I was wondering if someone would please post a link to your guy's postgame interviews, I'm not sure where to find them. Good luck with the rest of the season and I feel terrible that Carla Colaiacovo is on your team.
should be available here later:

http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/

best of luck to your team, but they seem not to need much. they looked even better than last season. STL should have a very bright future.

Last edited:

HTT3*

Meh, Wings just injected 8 new players and a new Assistant Coach and didn't get a training camp (like no one else). The difference is St.Louis Blues has virtually the same team they had last year and same coaching staff... they played together before.

Wings players need to gel, and gel quickly!

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

Time to look for alternatives, dude, and the quicker the better before people realize White won't be putting up the numbers sans Lidstrom.

And props for your fantastic username- I control the mic like Fidel Castro.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
It's the first game of the season, these guys have not played NHL hockey in nine months, and there has been significant personnel turnover. The wrinkles will take some time to iron out.

Those of you who have concluded, based on this single game, that the season is over should consider quitting immediately. I'd tell you to go root for another team, but I don't think any team would want you as a fan.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Meh, Wings just injected 8 new players and a new Assistant Coach and didn't get a training camp (like no one else). The difference is St.Louis Blues has virtually the same team they had last year and same coaching staff... they played together before.

Wings players need to gel, and gel quickly!

8? fyiwuefiuwfgyi

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

This is kind of the Wings' worldview in a nutshell isn't it? Either the Wings are a "hot destination" and get a discount or it's an overpayment. No such thing as a "market price" that you just have to pay to compete.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
smith
mursak
quincy
brunner
cc
monster
tootoo
sammy

Am I missing anyone?

I wouldn't really lump Mursak or Quincey in that group, and even Samuelsson is a stretch as he has played here under the same coach within the last few years, but hey if it makes you feel better go for it!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It makes a lot of sense why Babcock reached out to Lidstrom to see if he would be interested in a 48 game season... He knew exactly what he was getting himself into with this D.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
It makes a lot of sense why Babcock reached out to Lidstrom to see if he would be interested in a 48 game season... He knew exactly what he was getting himself into with this D.

Heck, I knew what they had with that D. Problem is, I don't have Nick's phone number, nor any other way to influence him. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad