GDT: Game 1: Colorado Avalanche Vs. St. Louis Blues - Quest For the Covid Cup - 8:30 PM MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Avs had very little structure. It was a bunch of talented individuals trying to do it themselves. A bunch of guys were cheating defensively all night, leaving the zone when the puck was not out and going on solo rushes to be the hero.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not someone that usually screams for "MOAR TUFFNESS" but it was clear as day the Avs wilted when nobody did a thing to defend Toews from a disgusting hit straight to the head.

Look at the Leafs/Canadiens game. No hit but Simmonds drops the gloves with Chariot with the Leafs down 3-1 and immediately afterwards, the tide begins to turn. Is it directly because of that? No. The Canadiens took two ill-advised penalties which got the Leafs back into the game, but there was a noticeable jump in their play after that fight, too.

I'm not saying this team needs a goon. But you can't let someone do that to Toews. His first game as a member of this team and he gets clobbered in the head like that, what's that tell the guy? Welcome to the team buddy, fend for yourself out there?

On an unrelated note, I'd be taking it easy on Saad. Brand new team, had to sit out a few practices and meetings because of Covid precautions and this is a brand new system for him to learn. He'll get it. I will say that he needs to be used on the PK as time passes by. He's way too good of a penalty killer to not be utilized there, especially in place of guys like Compher and Donskoi.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
But why????
Picture the Avs fan base as the ugly girl from junior high through high school. Picked on, spat on, disrespected for years. We now in college and we are hot. Lost all the weight, face cleared up and we up 3 bra sizes. Then the St. Louis show up to our campus and show our new friends what we used to look like. All of a sudden all those insecurities we had come rushing back.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I'm not someone that usually screams for "MOAR TUFFNESS" but it was clear as day the Avs wilted when nobody did a thing to defend Toews from a disgusting hit straight to the head.

Look at the Leafs/Canadiens game. No hit but Simmonds drops the gloves with Chariot with the Leafs down 3-1 and immediately afterwards, the tide begins to turn. Is it directly because of that? No. The Canadiens took two ill-advised penalties which got the Leafs back into the game, but there was a noticeable jump in their play after that fight, too.

I'm not saying this team needs a goon. But you can't let someone do that to Toews. His first game as a member of this team and he gets clobbered in the head like that, what's that tell the guy? Welcome to the team buddy, fend for yourself out there?

On an unrelated note, I'd be taking it easy on Saad. Brand new team, had to sit out a few practices and meetings because of Covid precautions and this is a brand new system for him to learn. He'll get it. I will say that he needs to be used on the PK as time passes by. He's way too good of a penalty killer to not be utilized there, especially in place of guys like Compher and Donskoi.

Yeah, that line could have been better, but it was the bottom six that really got obliterated last night. The 3rd and 4th line got crushed ever time they were on the ice.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah, that line could have been better, but it was the bottom six that really got obliterated last night.

This 3rd line is f***ing useless. I know they make sense on paper but they were useless in the playoffs and they were useless yesterday. Compher with Nuke just doesn't work.

I'd move Nuke on the 2nd line and try Saad on the 3rd line to see if it's any better.

Reactions: Richard88

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
This 3rd line is f***ing useless. I know they make sense on paper but they were useless in the playoffs and they were useless yesterday. Compher with Nuke just doesn't work.

I'd move Nuke on the 2nd line and try Saad on the 3rd line to see if it's any better.

Not good certainly.

I think Bowers, Newhook, or a trade could be options later in the season.

In the short term it make make sense to to elevate someone like Donskoi to the 1st, or second line and put Burakovsky on the 3rd line. I know it seems dumb to elevate a worse player, but it might help balance the lineup a bit.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

It's like @Cousin Eddie has been saying for months: Nichushkin-Kadri-Burakovsky just ****ing works. I don't know why, but the production and underlying numbers are there to suggest they work.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

First thing that came to mind when I saw the hit on Toews and not a single Av went to even give him the stink eye. Simmonds isn't the same player from years past and he knows that so he had to give Chariot those hands. Looked over at the Leafs benched and gave out a war cry. The game turned from that moment. Im not even saying someone has to fight Blais but you have to show up for your teammates in those situations. The Avs were sleep walking through the game last night and they got slappe din the face repeatedly.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It's like @Cousin Eddie has been saying for months: Nichushkin-Kadri-Burakovsky just ****ing works. I don't know why, but the production and underlying numbers are there to suggest they work.
The way Saad was playing last night he deserves the 3rd line.

Landeskog- Mackinnon - Rantanen
Nuke - Kadri - Bura
Saad - Compher - Donskoi
Bellemare- Jost - Calvert

Toews-Makar
Girard - Timmins
Graves - Anyone not named Ian Cole

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
First thing that came to mind when I saw the hit on Toews and not a single Av went to even give him the stink eye. Simmonds isn't the same player from years past and he knows that so he had to give Chariot those hands. Looked over at the Leafs benched and gave out a war cry. The game turned from that moment. Im not even saying someone has to fight Blais but you have to show up for your teammates in those situations. The Avs were sleep walking through the game last night and they got slappe din the face repeatedly.
If Chariot doesn't fall Simmonds was going to beat the holiest of ****s out of him lmao dude was swingin'

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Having someone to respond to the abuse we got last night is crucial, you don't even have to be some big physical team, just having someone who makes them think twice about doing that sort of shit can change everything. Zadorov was a terrible fighter, but you knew if you threw a shitty hit on the Avs that most likely one of yours was getting the Scheifele treatment.

I have legitimate concerns for Saad and Cole.

Franky can make the big save, his numbers in every league (including last year) speak for themselves, but my personal opinion aside no goalie is going to survive how terrible our defense was last night.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
When I expressed pesimisim about winning the Cup with him during 2020 playoffs, I got response "Chicago won it with Niemi"...:skeptic:
Chicago had a top 4 that included Brian Campbell, Seabrook, Keith and Hjalmarsson and maybe more importantly that run Dustin Byfuglien. That Chicago team would have won a cup with Philippe Sauve in net. This Avs team isn't that Hawks team. Not yet.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
On the subject of toughness, I do hope we get to see Gilbert in some games.

On the subject of 3C, imagine this team with someone like Lowry instead of Compher.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
On the subject of toughness, I do hope we get to see Gilbert in some games.

On the subject of 3C, imagine this team with someone like Lowry instead of Compher.
To me Compher can be useful - probably more useful - than Donskoi on the RW of a 3rd line. Problem is he's being asked to play a position he clearly isn't good at. Like at all.

I'd sooner shoot Donskoi to the moon if possible.

I'm still of the opinion that if he's willing to come here and the Ducks are out of a playoff spot by the deadline that you go and get Ryan Getzlaf. A centre trio of MacKinnon/Kadri/Getzlaf would be unrivalled league-wide.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Picture the Avs fan base as the ugly girl from junior high through high school. Picked on, spat on, disrespected for years. We now in college and we are hot. Lost all the weight, face cleared up and we up 3 bra sizes. Then the St. Louis show up to our campus and show our new friends what we used to look like. All of a sudden all those insecurities we had come rushing back.
This is an amazing analogy :laugh:. More of this, please, fellow Avs fans!

I guess I can kind of get it, but taking your analogy a step further, St. Louis showed up to campus once (maybe twice depending on how tomorrow goes), and then left. The rest of the people on campus will forget about St. Louis within a week and with a little bit of time, they'll be in the backs of our minds, too. I don't put much stock into the team's performance in one game, but I guess some people just need some time to get over the initial shock.

You said it yourself, though: the Avs are a hot girl. Despite St. Louis showing up and showing people how we used to look in high school, we are still currently a hot girl. I think we should keep that in mind.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Tyson Jost is, and has for a while been our best option for a 3C. He’s not a very good option, but he’s the best one based on what we have.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine

Also a pretty shitty "welcome to the team, pal".

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yeah, I half joke about Byram coming in and saving the team. I am excited to see him in the lineup, but I’m not worried about last nights performance at this time.

If that kind of play carries over for 5/6 games then it’s time to get concerned.

Neither Saad, or Toews played well last night, but no one really did. It was a bunch of mediocre, to poor performances from the entire team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad