GDT: Game 1: Colorado Avalanche Vs. St. Louis Blues - Quest For the Covid Cup - 8:30 PM MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
To my utter surprise, the pairing of Landeskog and Kadri just doesn't seem to work. They've tried it a lot now and it just hasn't ever clicked. On paper those two should be perfect for one another.

One pairing that does work, though it certainly wouldn't have last night, is Kadri and Rantanen.

I'm guessing Bednar will eventually have to put Bellemare in that 3C spot. Good as he looked last night I don't think Jost is consistent enough to take it. Compher is really, at this point, a good 4th line RW. Nothing more. I know the organization hoped there was more when they signed him to that deal, but it just hasn't happened.

Donskoi and Nichushkin didn't play well but that 3rd line has no chance of success so long as the staff thinks Compher can center it.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
To my utter surprise, the pairing of Landeskog and Kadri just doesn't seem to work. They've tried it a lot now and it just hasn't ever clicked. On paper those two should be perfect for one another.

One pairing that does work, though it certainly wouldn't have last night, is Kadri and Rantanen.

I'm guessing Bednar will eventually have to put Bellemare in that 3C spot. Good as he looked last night I don't think Jost is consistent enough to take it. Compher is really, at this point, a good 4th line RW. Nothing more. I know the organization hoped there was more when they signed him to that deal, but it just hasn't happened.

Donskoi and Nichushkin didn't play well but that 3rd line has no chance of success so long as the staff thinks Compher can center it.

f*** we got fleeced hard on that trade.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I'd try Jost and maybe even Bowers before putting Bellemare at the 3C spot if Compher struggles. Bellemare doesn't have the offensive potential to be used in that role.

Big ole Carl's slow ass might've actually worked with Nichushkin and Donskoi.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Honestly Jost was probably the second best forward after Burakovsky, if he can consistently play at that level maybe give him a shot at 3C. People forget that Compher broke into the league around the same age Jost is now, he's still young.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’m with ya’ll on the issues surrounding the 3C, but I’ve watched this Avs team win many a game as a one-line team.

The top players have to be a lot better. This forward group is good enough, assuming the defence can play up to its potential.

MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Kadri, and Makar have to carry the offence. That’s the expectation for those guys. If they don’t get on the score sheet, the Avs are going to lose pretty much every game. You can’t win without your top-5/6 guys producing.

Running net neutral with chances for and against, or even controlling play is not enough for those guys. They need actual production.

I agree that the bottom six has to be stronger, but the guys listed above have to be the ones to dominate games and get on the score sheet. You go as far as your best players take you.

I don’t know what the Avs record is when MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, and Makar don’t record a point, but I’m guessing it’s not good.

Reactions: Avs_19

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Honestly Jost was probably the second best forward after Burakovsky, if he can consistently play at that level maybe give him a shot at 3C. People forget that Compher broke into the league around the same age Jost is now, he's still young.
Jost needs to cut his stick an inch or two. I liked how he was skating last night.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Utter shite from top to bottom. The helmets and the shorts are ugly. What a season we're in for.

1203501.jpg

Reactions: UncleRisto

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I'd try Jost and maybe even Bowers before putting Bellemare at the 3C spot if Compher struggles. Bellemare doesn't have the offensive potential to be used in that role.

Big ole Carl's slow ass might've actually worked with Nichushkin and Donskoi.
That's not an "if" anymore, it's a fact.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Still super early and I still expect the Avs to contend for the cup, but if they don't at least make it to the 3rd round, next year Sakic needs to do what Tampa did, get tougher and better on the 3rd line and probably get a better goalie than Gru.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I'd bet a lot of money that all Cup winners have had a few bad games during their regular season like the game the Avs had yesterday. You better comes to terms with that or you will be having a very disappointing season. What matters the most with cup contenders is how they respond to games like this. We'll see tomorrow but I'd bet they come back with a strong performance.
Agreed, just very disappointing to see a team with such high expectations play like that game 1, it leaves a real bad taste in the mouth. All the talk, all the right things they were saying and then they don't even show up to the fight. Pathetic.

I'm not saying you can't have a stinker here and there but last night was more than a stinker we simply didn't even try or even seem to care which is super alarming.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm not saying you can't have a stinker here and there but last night was more than a stinker we simply didn't even try or even seem to care which is super alarming.

Don't agree. It was a slight stinker. Outplayed in the 1st, bounced back in the 2nd, even in the 3rd. Against a very good team. Avs clearly missed some size and were discombobulated from the new players and lack of preseason.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Agreed, just very disappointing to see a team with such high expectations play like that game 1, it leaves a real bad taste in the mouth. All the talk, all the right things they were saying and then they don't even show up to the fight. Pathetic.

You do understand how monumentally dumb this sounds right?

Ya, they literally threw the game on purpose and didn't even try to play.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Seriously...CHILL OUT.

This still was nowhere near as bad as the giant turd the Avs laid in Madison Square Garden (the game where Ryan Lindgren concussed Donskoi with a dirty hit and then got the snot beat out of him by Kadri). That, to me, was the worst game they played in the Bednar era post-2017. And they did just fine after that.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
You do understand how monumentally dumb this sounds right?

Ya, they literally threw the game on purpose and didn't even try to play.
Stats don't lie we were pretty much dominated. It was like a high school team showed up to play a NHL squad. I don't know what else to call it. They didn't throw it on purpose, but they sure as hell didn't put much effort into it either.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Stats don't lie we were pretty much dominated. It was like a high school team showed up to play a NHL squad. I don't know what else to call it. They didn't throw it on purpose, but they sure as hell didn't put much effort into it either.
No one is saying we weren’t dominated...

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'd bet a lot of money that all Cup winners have had a few bad games during their regular season like the game the Avs had yesterday. You better comes to terms with that or you will be having a very disappointing season. What matters the most with cup contenders is how they respond to games like this. We'll see tomorrow but I'd bet they come back with a strong performance.
Most recently, I can think of a future Stanley Cup winner that let Tyson fricking Jost score a hat trick against them that October...

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I wouldn't be worried if this was just a 1 game problem, but for years now the Avs can't compete with biggger clubs. We get bullied and pushed around. We can't get in proper position or crEate space when large clubs play us tight. We need some more grit on the bottom 6 and someone like Cole was in his prime on the back end. Current day Cole is nothing but a liability. Hopefully Helleson can become that for us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->