GDT: Game 1: Colorado Avalanche Vs. St. Louis Blues - Quest For the Covid Cup - 8:30 PM MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Posters here have to be bipolar. Yesterday the Avs were a monster team ready to wreck the division, now its time to start worrying. Laughable.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Posters here have to be bipolar. Yesterday the Avs were a monster team ready to wreck the division, now its time to start worrying. Laughable.

Maybe, but you have to admit that last night was a terrible effort. Infact, I don't think I've ever seen a worse effort in a season opener from an Avs team. I think that's the main reason most everyone is losing their mind.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Maybe, but you have to admit that last night was a terrible effort. Infact, I don't think I've ever seen a worse effort in a season opener from an Avs team. I think that's the main reason most everyone is losing their mind.
Its one game in a season that will be judged entirely by the playoff performance.

The amount of panic and angst here sure makes this GDT a hilarious read though.

WhatsInAName

Dec 29, 2010
The third and fourth lines continually getting hammered and the defence's play in the defensive zone cost the team in the playoffs and continue to be the achilles heel for the team. Would see if New Jersey would be willing to trade Zacha, Zajac, and a second for Compher, Bellemare, Graves and a 1st (drop in draft position shouldn't be too much given where the teams are expected to finish).

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Burakovsy-Kadri-Saad
Jost-Zacha-Nichushkin
Calvert-Zajac-Donskoi/Kaut

O'Connor, Bowers

Would then try to unload Donskoi and pick/prospect in a deal for Patrick Nemeth or one of Arizona's expiring D (Hjalmarsson, Demers, Goligoski). By the end of the year, the only bad contract on the Avs would be EJ's 6 million, giving the Avs tons of cap flexibility until MacKinnon's contract expires in 2023.

Toews-Makar
Girard-Timmons
Byram-Johnson
Nemeth-Cole

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I know it's the first game but until the Avs figure out how to defend the opposing team that continuously outhits them hard on the forecheck (and bully's them around), the Avs is won't win the cup. They don't have enough grit and or sandpaper.
My friend whose a Sens fan thinks this Avs team is similar to those Ottawa teams of the early 2000's. The ones that got slapped around by the Leafs and had Lalime shit the bed in the playoffs. I think this current Avs team is deeper and more skilled but it made me think for a moment. There are definitely some similarities.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Has anyone commented on the ice yet? I think I noticed 5 or 6 guys fall over when trying to stop last night. There was an entire Donskoi shift where I swear he fell over 3 times due to the ice. It could also just be because he's bad, though.

Reactions: shadow1

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Has anyone commented on the ice yet? I think I noticed 5 or 6 guys fall over when trying to stop last night. There was an entire Donskoi shift where I swear he fell over 3 times due to the ice. It could also just be because he's bad, though.
Donskoi falling over at our blueline when back-checking on the PK was pretty silly to watch, almost like a comedy act

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Cup contenders? They'll be lucky to make the playoffs if they play like this. Guess they need to stop reading the news, and focus on actually working hard and playing the game. That was a good old fashioned ass kicking tonight. Literally nothing good to say about anyone.

Hate to beat a dead horse but this team isn't going to accomplish anything until 92 is gone. Never has his team ready to go, and follows it up with being one of the worst on the ice.

Bednar has got to be in thin ice, that's an inexcusable performance for a team of this caliber.

Just disgusted with that garbage performance, they should be ashamed with their effort tonight.
I'd bet a lot of money that all Cup winners have had a few bad games during their regular season like the game the Avs had yesterday. You better comes to terms with that or you will be having a very disappointing season. What matters the most with cup contenders is how they respond to games like this. We'll see tomorrow but I'd bet they come back with a strong performance.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
My friend whose a Sens fan thinks this Avs team is similar to those Ottawa teams of the early 2000's. The ones that got slapped around by the Leafs and had Lalime shit the bed in the playoffs. I think this current Avs team is deeper and more skilled but it made me think for a moment. There are definitely some similarities.

Those Ottawa teams never won a cup. The MacKinnon led Avs will get one. ;)

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
With how short the season is I think some of the concerns are valid.

I just think Donk, Compher and PEB shouldn’t have much of a leash. I think Bowers and Kaut coming in instead would be an improvement. Size, speed and age.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'd bet a lot of money that all Cup winners have had a few bad games during their regular season like the game the Avs had yesterday. You better comes to terms with that or you will be having a very disappointing season. What matters the most with cup contenders is how they respond to games like this. We'll see tomorrow but I'd bet they come back with a strong performance.
Remember when we destroyed Tampa last season in the regular season? They eventually won the cup the same season. The Avs problem last night is a fixable problem. Compete. There was a play on the PK last night along the boards where ROR held off 3 Avs and won a puck battle back to the point man. I know ROR is great but hes not 3 on 1 great.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The way the Avs rebound on Friday night will go a long way to tell us who they are and who they aim to be this season. I’m expecting an effort like Game #4 against Arizona type of response... maybe not a 7-1 lopsided win but an all-out effort and push back against that Blues team.

I've been saying it for a while but I don't like our mix at forward. For well over a year, I've been pining for the Avs to get guys who play a heavy game, hit a lot and defend players when others take liberties like blais did last night. The 2 minute penalty is A JOKE compared to how it disrupted our roster for the majority of that 1st period while Toews was being looked at and in the end, what do the Blues care if that plug blais gets suspended a few games? The point is - we don't have anyone to answer the bell and we need Kadri and Landeskog on the ice - so it can't be them. Calvert needs to try and stay healthy so he's out too. We still have too many smaller players who can't fill that specific role (Compher, Bellemare, Jost, Donskoi) and especially this season when you can stick some guys on the taxi squad and use them sparingly when you need them.

It's such a weird and obvious miss by management. Clifford could have been had for really cheap and he would have helped but instead he joins the competition so they are even harder to play against. You would think after the series we had against Dallas that they would have added some of that grit to our roster?

As far as last night's game goes :

* My biggest area of concern is the Power Play:

When you consider the talent this team has - to finish outside the Top-10 in team PP proficiency is completely ridiculous and unacceptable. When we first hired Ray Bennett :
2017-18 - 8th
2018-19 - 7th
2019-20 - 19th?
2021 -> Dude, you've been figured out! To have the team come out last night with the exact same-old, tired scheme that led us to a 19th place finish was beyond disappointing.

As the team has improved over the years, our PP has gotten worse??? Bennett's predictable scheme has been scouted by other teams with good coaching and they are able to counter it easily. This is NOT about execution anymore. It cost us HUGE in the 2nd round of the playoffs and should have been taken care off during the off-season.

* I hope Brendan Saad has more to give than that. For a guy on the last year of his contract, trying to make an impression on a new team - I'd give his performance a solid 5 out of 10. I like his addition as a Top-9 forward but far from convinced he's what we need on that 2nd line. I think it going to become obvious that we are going to need a legit 2nd line winger for our cup run. (Palmieri)

* There were quite a few defensive lapses last night but I'm not worried too much about the defense especially when you consider that at some point, we'll be able to slide in Byram and EJ into the mix. Despite last night's game, I think we'll be in good shape on that end in no time.

* Coaching - I think Bednar is a good coach overall but he doesn't seem to handle matchups really well. With home ice, he should be able to get MacKinnon away from Parayko - unless he doesn't think it's really all that important to do so??? I think the St-Louis Blues still have a really good team but they are probably a little bit worse than they were last year. At least they should be. Not a lot of people would take Krug over Pietrangelo or whoever they have playing Bouwmeester's minutes.

Last edited:

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
The way the Avs rebound on Friday night will go a long way to tell us who they are and who they aim to be this season. I’m expecting an effort like Game #4 against Arizona type of response... maybe not a 7-1 lopsided win but an all-out effort and push back against that Blues team.

I've been saying it for a while but I don't like our mix at forward. For well over a year, I've been pining for the Avs to get guys who play a heavy game, hit a lot and defend players when others take liberties like blais did last night. The 2 minute penalty is A JOKE compared to how it disrupted our roster for the majority of that 1st period while Toews was being looked at and in the end, what do the Blues care if that plug blais gets suspended a few games? The point is - we don't have anyone to answer the bell and we need Kadri and Landeskog on the ice - so it can't be them. Calvert needs to try and stay healthy so he's out too. We still have too many smaller players who can't fill that specific role (Compher, Bellemare, Jost, Donskoi) and especially this season when you can stick some guys on the taxi squad and use them sparingly when you need them.

It's such a weird and obvious miss by management. Clifford could have been had for really cheap and he would have helped but instead he joins the competition so they are even harder to play against. You would think after the series we had against Dallas that they would have added some of that grit to our roster?

As far as last night's game goes :

* My biggest area of concern is the Power Play:

When you consider the talent this team has - to finish outside the Top-10 in team PP proficiency is completely ridiculous and unacceptable. When we first hired Ray Bennett :
2017-18 - 8th
2018-19 - 7th
2019-20 - 19th?
2021 -> Dude, you've been figured out! To have the team come out last night with the exact same-old, tired scheme that led us to a 19th place finish was beyond disappointing.

As the team has improved over the years, our PP has gotten worse??? Bennett's predictable scheme has been scouted by other teams with good coaching and they are able to counter it easily. This is NOT about execution anymore. It cost us HUGE in the 2nd round of the playoffs and should have been taken care off during the off-season.

* I hope Brendan Saad has more to give than that. For a guy on the last year of his contract, trying to make an impression on a new team - I'd give his performance a solid 5 out of 10. I like his addition as a Top-9 forward but far from convinced he's what we need on that 2nd line. I think it going to become obvious that we are going to need a legit 2nd line winger for our cup run. (Palmieri)

* There were quite a few defensive lapses last night but I'm not worried too much about the defense especially when you consider that at some point, we'll be able to slide in Byram and EJ into the mix. Despite last night's game, I think we'll be in good shape on that end in no time.

* Coaching - I think Bednar is a good coach overall but he doesn't seem to handle matchups really well. With home ice, he should be able to get MacKinnon away from Parayko - unless he doesn't think it's really all that important to do so??? I think the St-Louis Blues still have a really good team but they are probably a little bit worse than they were last year. At least they should be. Not a lot of people would take Krug over Pietrangelo or whoever they have playing Bouwmeester's minutes.

Good summary. The Avs aspire to be a puck possession team but can't do so at the expense of not also having an effective dump and chase for teams like St. Louis and Dallas. I don't necessarily think its a personnel issue (although adding a grinder like Clifford would have helped) but more a mental one. Its not like the team is full of smurfs they just have to play with a more physical, aggressive attitude against teams that employ the same. Last night it felt like they gave up when they couldn't play a total puck possession game....

Reactions: CobraAcesS

bigduga

Oct 4, 2009
As a Blues fan in enemy territory just here to read what the opposition’s fan base thought of the game - all I can say is that I was wholly unaware until I read the post above that Ray Bennett still had an NHL job, and I’m frankly amazed anyone still allows Ray Bennett to coach an NHL power play.

We watched the Ray Bennett power play finish in the bottom third of the league for far too long in St. Louis, and - just purely as a hockey fan - I feel bad for you guys.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Saad certainly wasn't good but we need to wait some time before judging him and his fit. That was his first game, he missed some practices in camp, and he was playing on the right side instead of his usual left. Seeing how a Saad-Kadri-Burakovsky line looks for a few games will give us a better indication. On paper Saad is a great fit based on his skill set and style of play.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Good summary. The Avs aspire to be a puck possession team but can't do so at the expense of not also having an effective dump and chase for teams like St. Louis and Dallas. I don't necessarily think its a personnel issue (although adding a grinder like Clifford would have helped) but more a mental one. Its not like the team is full of smurfs they just have to play with a more physical, aggressive attitude against teams that employ the same. Last night it felt like they gave up when they couldn't play a total puck possession game....

They have been crap against physical defensive teams for a while now unless a, playoff birth, losing streak, or playoff game is on the line.

When guys like Kadri, and Landeskog are playing to stay on the ice, EJ is injured, Calvert is worried about a concussion, Cole is slow and washed up, and Zadorov is traded away you'll get that result.

I hope Byram has as much attitude as everyone says.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Regarding the 3C hole, I'm about done with JT Compher in that role. It's almost like he's the grinder version of Andreas Athanisiou. He does some good things from time to time, but ultimately plays a simple north-south game and doesn't use his linemates at all.

Donskoi gets a lot of crap on this message board, but we've seen him be successful on other lines in the past (Donskoi-MacKinnon-Rantanen & Burakovsky-Kadri-Donskoi). In fact, his current status as an offensive black hole has been directly tied to playing alongside Compher.

On the other hand, going into his fourth full season with the Avalanche, the only lines of note I can even recall featuring Compher are the Jost-Compher-Wilson/Kerfoot lines of 2019, and saying those lines were a success would be a wild exaggeration.

In other words, I'm with those who want to try Jost as the 3C and bump Compher down to 4RW. I think Bowers is the answer long term, and I think there's a good chance we see him soon. But I'm fairly positive that if the Nichushkin-Compher-Donskoi line stays in tact, we'll need to start counting Nichushkin's goalless-games streak again.

Reactions: Richard88

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I'd roll with this and avoid the Blendnar.

Landy-Mack-Mikko
Nuke-Kadri-Bura
Saad-Jost-Donk
Calvert-PEB-JT

Give Saad some time to learn the system and get his feet wet in a less important role plus that second line has been good in the past. Rotate Bowers and Kaut in when neccessary. I'm a Jost hater too but he was moving his feet well last night and deserves a look at center but it could be a tough matchup for him when playing the Blues or Vegas.

Reactions: The Kingslayer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad