Post-Game Talk: Game 1: Caps v Pens (Mod Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Some other thoughts:

Olli Maatta looked like garbage. Matt Murray wasn't that impressive, we still hold the edge in net. Burakovsky was feeling it tonight and Tom Wilson will need to simmer down. He got lucky tonight.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Say what you will about Orlov but Orpik was caught standing around on two pens goals. First game jitters aside, put Orlov back in and ride the pairings again

Disagree.

Backstrom with the horrible turnover on one... the Malkin goal Carlson and Orpik were both gassed, they had been out there for like 2 minutes. I actually thought Orpik had a really solid game, especially being matched up against 71 the entire night.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Disagree.

Backstrom with the horrible turnover on one... the Malkin goal Carlson and Orpik were both gassed, they had been out there for like 2 minutes. I actually thought Orpik had a really solid game, especially being matched up against 71 the entire night.

Orpik was bad...the 2nd goal he could do nothing because he cant keep up...he just cant...I dont what has to happen until Trotz puts him on the side burner..maybe a series loss...I dont know.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I disagree with that...Pens outplayed us as a team but not Backstrom...I thought he battled against the best and more than held his own.

He had some nice feeds but I'd like to see him step up his faceoffs and D-game.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Orpik was bad...the 2nd goal he could do nothing because he cant keep up...he just cant...I dont what has to happen until Trotz puts him on the side burner..maybe a series loss...I dont know.

The 2nd could he could do nothing because they had been on the ice for 2 ****ing minutes. All 5 Caps on the ice were completely gassed.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Orlpik made the proper play on the Bonino goal. Backstrom gave it away and blew his coverage.

He could have made a play on the puck when it entered the zone. And then he lost his man when Backstrom turned it over. And then he's "roughing" up Kessel in the corner while Bonino scores. I was not impressed.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
The Pens have a great offense. Yeah we did not play our best defensively but the key thing is the Pens thrive off of odd man rushes and we did not give those up. As long as that trend continues we will be fine.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
The Pens have a great offense. Yeah we did not play our best defensively but the key thing is the Pens thrive off of odd man rushes and we did not give those up. As long as that trend continues we will be fine.

Yeah this. Missed most of the OT but I don't think they really had any odd-man rushes all night.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
The 2nd could he could do nothing because they had been on the ice for 2 ****ing minutes. All 5 Caps on the ice were completely gassed.

And everyone blamed Schmidt on the play because he was all over the place, trying to make a play and just could not quite get to the front of the net..while Orpik was standing near the corner wondering if he had left the iron on...

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Interesting that there are several Tom Wilson and Ovechkin threads on the playoff board but I don't recall seeing a single thread about TJ Oshie, playoff beast.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Backstrom got outplayed quite badly tonight. Needs to step it up.

Outplayed by who? He's matched up against Crosby? Did you see Crosby tonight? I didn't, so Nicky got the job done on that part. He made a world class play to send Ovi on a breakaway at the end of the 3rd too.

Backstrom's only mistake tonight was to let the puck through, resulting in a goal by Bonino.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I'm not a Caps fan but watched everyone of your games and Williams does not look good out there. The puck dies on his and Burakovsky's stick too often

Burakovsky looks a lot better with Richards than he did on the 2nd line though

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Outplayed by who? He's matched up against Crosby? Did you see Crosby tonight? I didn't, so Nicky got the job done on that part. He made a world class play to send Ovi on a breakaway at the end of the 3rd too.

Backstrom's only mistake tonight was to let the puck through, resulting in a goal by Bonino.

Maybe I was spoiled by the philly series. But the puck was in their end too much when top line were on.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009

To add to it, Crosby had no points and was -3. Backstrom had no points but was +2.

That definitely increases our chances of winning the game.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm not a Caps fan but watched everyone of your games and Williams does not look good out there. The puck dies on his and Burakovsky's stick too often

Burakovsky looks a lot better with Richards than he did on the 2nd line though

Yeah, he's not looking good at all, but Kuznetsov is not making the right plays either. This line has to be completely broken up.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Now all we got to do is keep JenH from making a major thread Saturday. Keep it minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad