Post-Game Talk: GAME #1: Canucks 5, Oilers 3 (Boeser x2, Horvat, Höglander, Gaudette)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I’m think most ppl have forgotten something
Oli Juolevi is a defenceman playing in the best league of the world, he’s about to get burned and make mistakes here and there facing world class players night in night out

just like everyone else

True enough....However, in 10 minutes of play he made a bad mistake that led to a goal and was walked once or twice. Stapled to the bench in the third I believe so he didn’t gain any trust from the coaching staff. I disagree it was the strong game people are saying.

That said, it’s one game, no pre-season, nerves etc. so you can’t read anything into things one way or the other really. Same can be said for the team as a whole.

Some nice things to see:

Hoglander looked good. What stood out more than his play to me is he’s one of those guys that seems to simply love stepping on the ice and competing. There is an enthusiasm about his game that not every player has.

Boeser skated well and shot the puck well. I do worry what will happen to his skating as the grind hits. Will his back hold up and prevent what I call in my life dead leg syndrome where due to a back issue I can lose what seems to be strength and mobility every now and then.

Hughes...good game. Key passes to put the game out of reach.

Horvat and Pearson were good.

Beagle and Sutter in the offensive zone at the same time was cringe worthy.

Virtanen still looked like Virtanen. Frustrating on many shifts and then has a couple ones. He needs the Hoglander enthusiasm in his game.

Gaudette was invisible but a nice opportunistic goal.

Hamonic ...first game a long while but he was bad. He will get better but his game has been in decline the last few seasons so what does that year off do? Can he get back to truly being an everyday top 6. He needs to or the Canucks are in trouble on the back end.

Holtby...stood strong. It was reminiscent of the past several years. Too many grade A chances against and relying on the goaltender to keep them in the game at times. Luckily against the Oilers it’s a good bet you can outscire your bad team defense.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
They looked like a Laser Tag team. Honestly, the Oilers have a nice classic look to their usual logo and jersey set. How this abomination saw the light of day, I’m unsure.

I like them...

giphy.gif

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Solid game all round considering they were missing JT Miller. The top 6 should be a real strength once he returns. Horvat looks to have carried over his play from the playoffs and should thrive with competent wingers for a change. Bottom 6 still needs some work but Virtanen should improve that third line when Miller returns.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
They looked like a Laser Tag team. Honestly, the Oilers have a nice classic look to their usual logo and jersey set. How this abomination saw the light of day, I’m unsure.

:laugh: Thanks for succinctly describing exactly what it is about them that I hate. I agree, their vintage 80s get-up I very good. Hell, I even liked the re-branding ones used in the late 90s/early 00s and the oil drop.

I do not know why they insist on using the putrid sets they have over the years.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I somehow don't see McDavid going pointless for two games. I also don't see Draisaitl only having one point in two games. Canucks might need to score another 5, minimum, tomorrow to win.
I also don't see EP having another 1 point game. I think tonight goes to OT and it is possibly down to which team wins the first face-off.

Reactions: The Vasili Jerry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Why wasnt hoglander given an assist???

He banked that pick to Pearson I’m 80% sure
He didn’t get credit for an assist there? That was a very strong “out” he made there. He doesn’t made that play and there’s (clearly) no goal. That’s an obvious second assist, isn’t it?

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Butter soft minutes but he owned them.

I get why they’re doing this because - more so than ever - every point and game matters; however, it has been five years since he was drafted and Edler is getting older. They’ve got to give him some more minutes to chew on every game to see if he can truly hang. Not now, but at some point...
Giving him soft minutes to start and then by g6 or 7 giving him more is perfect in my eyes.

Nov 1, 2011
That doesn’t matter. Hogs made the play off the wall to chip the puck out to Pearson. It’s no different than lots of assists that “happen to” deflect off an opponent, but don’t change possession.

Did you watch the vid?

Hog doesn't actually touch the puck, it goes to Pearson because RNH tips it past Hog.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
And show how no one beat an offer of a 3rd round pick
I don't think it was that it couldn't be beaten. If I remember correctly, other teams needed to see how they could fit him under cap and Benning said "let's just do it and i'll figure it out later. VGK needed to trade him right away to sign AP, we were the only ones who were willing to deal immediately.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I betcha nobody on the team cares that wasn’t an assist. I’m sure Travis is happy he sealed the wall and the puck got out. That’s what matters.

Plus a first nhl point coming on a goal is much nicer than wondering if you ever made contact for a 2nd assist.

You don’t want your parents showing their friends a second assist clip.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I don't think it was that it couldn't be beaten. If I remember correctly, other teams needed to see how they could fit him under cap and Benning said "let's just do it and i'll figure it out later. VGK needed to trade him right away to sign AP, we were the only ones who were willing to deal immediately.
No they didn’t have to. They chose to.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Why wasnt hoglander given an assist???

He banked that pick to Pearson I’m 80% sure
I thought the same, but the slow motion replay showed it was actually RNH who poked it up the ice to Pearson, Höglander was inches away tying him up, but he didn’t make contact with the puck :(

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Anyone else surprised at how quiet Gaudette has been through camp and now game 1? It was an opportunistic goal, but I was literally just in the middle of writing a post saying how invisible he’d been when he scored

Reactions: Zippgunn

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Anyone else surprised at how quiet Gaudette has been through camp and now game 1? It was an opportunistic goal, but I was literally just in the middle of writing a post saying how invisible he’d been when he scored
Was t he a plus one though, and that what’s wanted from the bottom six? Play hard minutes and don’t hurt the club, and chip in with the odd goal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad