Post-Game Talk: GAME #1: Canucks 5, Oilers 3 (Boeser x2, Horvat, Höglander, Gaudette)

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Yeah go figure when they combined for like 4 goals in 20 something games in top 6 minutes they were critiqued for over utilization.

It’s the same thing today. You want better players so players like Leivo and Pearson are down the lineup.

Still feel the same. A team with Pearson on the 3rd line is a better team.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i don't love tanner pearson but as our sixth forward, i have no complaints. ideally that guy would cost a little less and have a little more higgins in his game, but he does the job.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yeah go figure when they combined for like 4 goals in 20 something games in top 6 minutes they were critiqued for over utilization.

It’s the same thing today. You want better players so players like Leivo and Pearson are down the lineup.

We'd also be better if we literally iced an NHL at the Olympics style Team Canada roster too but with the salary cap, you fit players in where you can. Pearson and Leivo were never the biggest offenders and aren't the reason we can't afford an upgrade. Plus, if we did make a trade we'll just have to endure another thread like the JT Miller trade thread anyway so damned if you do and damned if you don't for JB.

Reactions: Sneezy and Indiana

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
We'd also be better if we literally iced an NHL at the Olympics style Team Canada roster too but with the salary cap, you fit players in where you can. Pearson and Leivo were never the biggest offenders and aren't the reason we can't afford an upgrade. Plus, if we did make a trade we'll just have to endure another thread like the JT Miller trade thread anyway so damned if you do and damned if you don't for JB.
Hopefully Pearson continues to produce like a first liner. If you don’t want to endure my posts their is a function on this website that can help you out.

Reactions: Indiana

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hopefully Pearson continues to produce like a first liner. If you don’t want to endure my posts their is a function on this website that can help you out.
Only scrubs use that button. I'll keep watching and keep engaging when I see takes that I disagree with and you're free to push back. It makes the board way more interesting than a set of parallel echo chambers that don't hear or see one another.

Incidentally, that's another reason to be glad that awful tank thread is gone.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

As was explained to you in that thread, goals are rather occasional things for most players and thus highly dependent on variance in the short term. They were both playing okay, the puck just wasn't going in the net early in the season.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
so the stat that jumps out at me from last night is that our best line and best match up centre (horvat) played 10 minutes less than mcdavid. horvat was under 16 minutes. the disparity in pp time partly explains it, but it will be an interesting trend to watch.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver

And all without fans in the stands. Remember how so many people on here adamantly said they would never watch hockey without a building full of people to add to the atmosphere? Clearly people can get used to things if they just chill out n' give them a chance. Who knew?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Only scrubs use that button. I'll keep watching and keep engaging when I see takes that I disagree with and you're free to push back. It makes the board way more interesting than a set of parallel echo chambers that don't hear or see one another.

Incidentally, that's another reason to be glad that awful tank thread is gone.
I’m a scrub.

Reactions: Indiana and Pip

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
so the stat that jumps out at me from last night is that our best line and best match up centre (horvat) played 10 minutes less than mcdavid. horvat was under 16 minutes. the disparity in pp time partly explains it, but it will be an interesting trend to watch.
Good habit for the team to start during an extended condensed schedule. Teams that can balance their time on ice will have a lot more success this season. Doesn't matter how strong your endurance is, you need to limit your time on ice when playing 4 games per week.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
The poster probably isn't referring to critiques of the players' deployment but to the far more numerous statements to the effect that Pearson had little value and wasn't a top-6 forward, which proved to be false.

This is a non-sequitur and could be said about literally any 2nd line forward.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i think you have unrealistic expectations. pearson is a better winger than higgins who was on the second line of a better team, for now.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
And all without fans in the stands. Remember how so many people on here adamantly said they would never watch hockey without a building full of people to add to the atmosphere? Clearly people can get used to things if they just chill out n' give them a chance. Who knew?
If someone doesn't watch hockey because there aren't fans in the stands... I'm sorry but you're just into the novelty and not a true fan of the game. I've watched games around the world, from the comfort of a multi-million dollar super rink to a run down rat hole in the middle of nowhere-Europe, and one thing is always true: hockey is hockey. If you need the spectacle of fans to enjoy the game, go watch a baseball game.

Reactions: Andy Dufresne

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
If someone doesn't watch hockey because there aren't fans in the stands... I'm sorry but you're just into the novelty and not a true fan of the game. I've watched games around the world, from the comfort of a multi-million dollar super rink to a run down rat hole in the middle of nowhere-Europe, and one thing is always true: hockey is hockey. If you need the spectacle of fans to enjoy the game, go watch a baseball game.

i miss the affirmation of fans as to what i am seeing though. there was a close in canuck chance that the pbp guy talked over in the first period last night and without crowd noise confirmation i was left struggling to confirm my eyes did not deceive me.

Reactions: Dana Murzyn

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
i miss the affirmation of fans as to what i am seeing though. there was a close in canuck chance that the pbp guy talked over in the first period last night and without crowd noise confirmation i was left struggling to confirm my eyes did not deceive me.
It’s a better product with fans period. The players play harder. They get positive affirmation as well as criticism but it creates a more entertaining product in every sport. Im a big soccer fan and you can really tell the difference.

We’re always talking about the players are human. Well part of the lure of watching is the humans reacting to the game and then stage.

games between teams youre not as invested in can feel like watching someone play video games. I still watch though. What else am I going to do?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Juolevi killed the oilers bottom six. They sheltered the f*** out of him but he literally destroyed the oilers possession wise
Great to see him on the big club now. Was a big fan of his when he was on London Knights with Marner. Hope he has a great year for y'all.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
i think you have unrealistic expectations. pearson is a better winger than higgins who was on the second line of a better team, for now.
I have high expectations.
Chris Higgins was acquired to be a 3rd line player.

On that 2011 team he was a 3rd liner until Samuelson went down.

It would be great if our team was so good Pearson was the 3rd liner you move up wouldn’t it?

I don’t think it’s unrealistic at all.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I have high expectations.
Chris Higgins was acquired to be a 3rd line player.

On that 2011 team he was a 3rd liner until Samuelson went down.

It would be great if our team was so good Pearson was the 3rd liner you move up wouldn’t it?

I don’t think it’s unrealistic at all.

ok, well higgins was a 2nd liner in 2012 for a president trophy winner, and pearson was better last year.

i'd also say pearson is a better player than 35 year old samuelsson was in 2011.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
ok, well higgins was a 2nd liner in 2012 for a president trophy winner, and pearson was better last year.

i'd also say pearson is a better player than 35 year old samuelsson was in 2011.

How are you drawing this conclusion? Point totals?

I ultimately don’t really care who from a decade ago you think he’s better than. I think for the Canucks to be a team that can be looked at with the best in the nhl (not just Canada) Pearson is upgradable.

Also Pearson-Gaudette-Virtanen also looks like a much stronger 3rd line.

Nobody has said he sucks. One guy just rightfully said he’s an empty net merchant who’s “1st line” production needed caveating

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
It’s a better product with fans period. The players play harder. They get positive affirmation as well as criticism but it creates a more entertaining product in every sport.

That is just not true.

For some players, maybe. But for some players, just focusing on hockey will make it better for them.

Nothing can be certain, period.

May 20, 2011
BC
I think the biggest positive to be gleaned from this game was Boeser's play; he has his shot and stride back and seems to be ready to take the next step forward. I was beginning to doubt whether he would ever be a 40-goal player, but if he keeps up the play we saw last night, the player he's on track to be is much more dangerous than the one we've seen for the past couple of seasons.

Hoglander has the offensive instincts to contribute right away in a top-6 role. Watching him play last night, I'm not surprised to see him make the team out of camp. He had some nifty moves with the puck that gained him some extra space and time in the offensive zone and helped us set up. Despite not getting the assist on Horvat's goal, he was a big part of why the play manifested as it did, winning the puck battle against two Oilers; and he was in great position for the rebound on his goal, finding some open ice and going to the net uninhibited.

I thought Holtby looked a bit stiff and was losing track of the puck when it was behind the net too much for my liking, but he got us the win. :)

It's nice to have hockey again.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
That is just not true.

For some players, maybe. But for some players, just focusing on hockey will make it better for them.

Nothing can be certain, period.
You can say it’s not true than say nothing is certain.

You disagree. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad