Post-Game Talk: Game 1 at Dallas - TUUKKA!!!!! BRUINS 2 Dallas 1 FINAL

aguineapig

Normally, I could care less about the "stars of the game", but how anyone could watch last night's game and not have Rask and/or Carlo in the top 3 is borderline criminal.
Only ones who realize Carlo's true impact other than his own teammates, sit on the other bench. Never going to have the offensive stats, but just try playing against him. Two strides and the reach and the puck isn't yours anymore.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Are people serious with this first line talk? It's been one game lmao

It’s been about 20 if you go count the playoffs.

Me personally? I certainly am not going to bitch much about no switch ups after one game in the regular season, but I would take comfort in just knowing the coaching staff has the balls to try it and tell Pasta and Marshy to stop f***ing around.

I know. Scalding hot take.

Reactions: Maine Fan

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Which criteria did they use to choose the 3 stars of the night?

The wrong criteria. Rask was 1st star in my books

Ya, like I said I see both sides of the argument. Just for fun I tried to come up with a top 9 if you were to put them on their own lines. It was actually harder than I thought and I still don't really like it lol.

DeBrusk - Bergeron - Ritchie
Marchand - Coyle - Khulman
Heinen - Krejci - Pastrnak

Gotta keep Marchand and Bergy together

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm guessing it has to do with the fact DeBrusk scored 27 goals in 68 games last year. Going into last night Heinen had 27 goals in his career (162 games). The skill set is obviously more in line with what you would want in a long term top-6 winger IMO. He's also technically two development years behind I think? Heinen was eligible for 2013 draft, DeBrusk 2015.

There's also the fact that Heinen followed up a great rookie year with an uneven sophomore season. Reilly Smith got similar treatment IMO. Didn't get the young guy leeway. For whatever reason. Maybe it's draft position as well. I think that plays into the perception. 4th round pick scores 50 points at age 22 as a rookie.... Career middle-6 winger! 1st round pick scores 50 points...... What's next? 60 points? 70 points? 40 goals????

You are missing the point I think?

DeBrusk and Heinen both played in PRO in 16-17. DeBrusk had 19g/30a in 74 games and Heinen 14g/30a in 64 games. In the playoffs JDB had 6g/3a in 17 games while Heinen led the team with 9g/9a in the same number of games.

That training camp DeBrusk was stapled to Krejci’s left wing and Bjork was put on Bergeron’s right. Neither did anything special to earn it. Their rookie seasons, Heinen put up slightly better numbers than DeBrusk (16/31 vs 16/27) while moving around in the Bottom 6 while DeBrusk stayed with Krejci.

Last season, Heinen had a down year offensively while being moved around (again). DeBrusk had 27 goals but less points than the previous season, all the while staying with Krejci no matter how poorly or well he played.

I wonder how many points Heinen would have had the past two seasons if he was allowed to play with Krejci the entire time and given 1st line PP minutes?

I don’t want this to come off as anti-DeBrusk because I like him quite a bit. The fact remains that despite similar production they have been handled in completely different ways.

Reactions: BMC

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I know it’s still early, but all things considered I like this forward group far better than the one they started with last season.

Now if they could convince Pastrnak he’s a goal scorer again that would be swell

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I know it’s still early, but all things considered I like this forward group far better than the one they started last season with.

Now if they could convince Pastrnak he’s a goal scorer again that would be swell

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
You are missing the point I think?

DeBrusk and Heinen both played in PRO in 16-17. DeBrusk had 19g/30a in 74 games and Heinen 14g/30a in 64 games. In the playoffs JDB had 6g/3a in 17 games while Heinen led the team with 9g/9a in the same number of games.

That training camp DeBrusk was stapled to Krejci’s left wing and Bjork was put on Bergeron’s right. Neither did anything special to earn it. Their rookie seasons, Heinen put up slightly better numbers than DeBrusk (16/31 vs 16/27) while moving around in the Bottom 6 while DeBrusk stayed with Krejci.

Last season, Heinen had a down year offensively while being moved around (again). DeBrusk had 27 goals but less points than the previous season, all the while staying with Krejci no matter how poorly or well he played.

I wonder how many points Heinen would have had the past two seasons if he was allowed to play with Krejci the entire time and given 1st line PP minutes?

I don’t want this to come off as anti-DeBrusk because I like him quite a bit. The fact remains that despite similar production they have been handled in completely different ways.

Maybe it's about upside or perceived upside?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It’s been about 20 if you go count the playoffs.

Me personally? I certainly am not going to ***** much about no switch ups after one game in the regular season, but I would take comfort in just knowing the coaching staff has the balls to try it and tell Pasta and Marshy to stop ****ing around.

I know. Scalding hot take.

Were they not the top scoring line for the Bruins in the playoffs?

Good coaching staffs are better known for their brains than their balls.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'd experiment with lines

Ritchie did enough to justify a few more games, and I like him with Coyle - both of them have size and physicality, opening up space. Honestly if Backes has truly worked on skating enough to keep up in the league, with his style of play he'd match those two really well.

Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen
Debrusk-Krejci-Pasta
Backes-Coyle-Ritchie

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
cut.jpg

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

I kind of want to make this my new avatar. Not out of any endorsement of the man, but solely because it will rattle all the opposing fans on the main board for a number of reasons. But I figure it won't fly with HF so I'll let it be.

Reactions: BMC

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Are people serious with this first line talk? It's been one game lmao

I am one of the Bruins fans that spoke about the first line's play. I think I said something about them playing poorly. My opinion was based on last night's game and their play during the playoffs. A New-season and they still haven't got it together. They knew they didn't play well in the playoffs. They should have come out playing well together, IMO.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Maybe it's about upside or perceived upside?

Could be?

It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy when you do it that way though, don’t you think?

Hey, if the B’s want a heavy like Ritchie or Backes with 74 and 46, I would be perfectly happy with: 43-13-83 as the third line. All three of those guy looked good last night and would compliment one another.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Ritchie did enough to justify a few more games, and I like him with Coyle - both of them have size and physicality, opening up space. Honestly if Backes has truly worked on skating enough to keep up in the league, with his style of play he'd match those two really well.

Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen
Debrusk-Krejci-Pasta
Backes-Coyle-Ritchie

That third line is big, but S-L-O-W-W-W-W. Where do you put Kuhlman?

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yes, they were one hell of a PP threat.

If you don’t agree with it, or choose not to ackowledge, that’s a difference we will both have to live with.

As far as I'm concerned, its been one game.

One game the B's won and only allowed one goal.

Yes, I disagree about breaking up the first line. However, being born with no ability to see into the future, you're opinion is as good as mine.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen
Debrusk-Krejci-Pasta
Backes-Coyle-Ritchie

I seriously feel for Coyle here and hope he's on the ice with someone like Krug or catching Marchand, Pastrnak, DeBrusk or heinen in a line change because he will not be able to get any points with this combination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad