Pre-Game Talk: Game 1- 10/3 7PM Sabres @ Pens 'Haleth son of Háma. There is always hope.' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Last year is irrelevant. I don’t get why some of you are struggling to understand that. A new coach will look at training camp and preseason to determine his roster to start the season. The only analytics that should matter to him for lineup decisions will start tonight.

Bringing up the big trade from last summer is yet another example of how over the top and ridiculous some of you are over this. Not to mention it’s utterly irrelevant.

The reality is simple. Erod didn't do enough in camp in Krueger’s mind to make tonight’s starting 12. If he had he would be in the lineup. So Sobotka is in now. Thats not ideal but its also not a big deal in the bigger picture. Certainly not something that warrants the level of angst and carrying on we’ve seen the last few days.
You say it's not a big deal in the bigger picture. But in the bigger picture, they're probably going to keep making these inefficient lineup choices all season and hurting the team as a result...

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Last year is irrelevant. I don’t get why some of you are struggling to understand that. A new coach will look at training camp and preseason to determine his roster to start the season. The only analytics that should matter to him for lineup decisions will start tonight.

Bringing up the big trade from last summer is yet another example of how over the top and ridiculous some of you are over this. Not to mention it’s utterly irrelevant.

The reality is simple. Erod didn't do enough in camp in Krueger’s mind to make tonight’s starting 12. If he had he would be in the lineup. So Sobotka is in now. Thats not ideal but its also not a big deal in the bigger picture. Certainly not something that warrants the level of angst and carrying on we’ve seen the last few days.
He wasn't just about the worst player in the league last season, he was also just about the worst the season prior in St Louis. It's pretty much a contest between him and Uncle Leo over who is the worst player in the NHL. Remember: in a period where he was our 4th most utilized forward he went 43 straight games without a goal.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Ullmark played really well against PIT the last time. Memorable overtime win.
I'm not slamming Ullmark, but yes, he made some great saves. He still has some technical problems with his game, and is prone to a occasional softie, which he gave up against PIT.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
He wasn't just about the worst player in the league last season, he was also just about the worst the season prior in St Louis. It's pretty much a contest between him and Uncle Leo over who is the worst player in the NHL. Remember: in a period where he was our 4th most utilized forward he went 43 straight games without a goal.

Then he will be gone quickly if they lose

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I'm not slamming Ullmark, but yes, he made some great saves. He still has some technical problems with his game, and is prone to a occasional softie, which he gave up against PIT.
I didn't take it as that, just pointed out my preference for Ullmark, not that he's that much better than Hutton, if at all.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
You say it's not a big deal in the bigger picture. But in the bigger picture, they're probably going to keep making these inefficient lineup choices all season and hurting the team as a result...

Can I get some lottery numbers from you?

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
To those thinking it is not a big deal having Sobotka in the top 6, do you not remember all last season when he was amongst the worst in the league and somehow management and coaching allowed him to play 70 games? Do you not see the potential risk of whatever Housley saw - Krueger does too?

Also why should everyone be fine with how much leeway and second chances we give to Scandella, Sobotka, Okposo, etc.. I do not thing ERod is the answer as there were players that outperformed all 4 who got cut. Maybe our organization should stop being so forgiving, especially with how the last years have been.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
they're probably going to keep making these inefficient lineup choices all season and hurting the team as a result...

Nice crystal ball you have there.

Right now, I fully trust that RK will ensure that the lineups are optimized once games actually start. Right now, he's made the decision that Sobotka and Okposo deserve to play over ERod. And that Scandella deserves to play over Gilmour. And I anticipate that unless someone completely and utterly craps the bed, the lineup will stay like this for a few games.

Then I imagine the tinkering will start -- of the lineup itself and of the line combos. At some point, RK will settle into what he thinks our best 12 are. Right now, this is it.

Am I skeptical of this lineup? You bet.
Do I think this will last all season? Heck no.

Reactions: billsandsabres

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
At this point, I'm not going to get invested until about 3/4 of the season is over and the Sabres are winning. I just can't do it anymore. It's such a dogshit organization.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
All this going on about Sobotka... Not only did Rodrigues flunk out in camp, the new HC is employing an entirely different scheme and Sobotka is playing an entirely different role. Why should Krueger base most (any?) of his decision making off of old, non-applicable usage from last season??

Scandella? He had ankle surgery and probably feels a lot better than last season. Montour is out so what...Krueger should still bury Ristolainan and put the extra minutes on Jokiharju's back?? That's stupid! Krueger is giving these guys, like Sobotka, Scandella, Okposo, Ristolainen, a chance to prove last season was a fluke. If they don't prove it was a fluke, there are a couple younger guys that Krueger can tap in along the way. Bottom line - there are multiple poor choices to fill in some roster spots...some of those poor options have to play and get better, or sit. We already know some are going to be on the trade block anyway...and it's an 82 game season. The raging is hilarious but sad.

Reactions: BananaSquad

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I didn't take it as that, just pointed out my preference for Ullmark, not that he's that much better than Hutton, if at all.
I think they are both inconsistent, so you don't know what to expect out of either. That's why I'm not really going to split hairs on a slightly better preseason for the one over the other.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
2 more hours boys.

I know my excitement will die down when we are 2-0 down in the first period, but for now I'm pumped

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
So can we officially declare GDTs ROR, Housley, and Murray free zones.

Yes, but only to the extent it doesn't derail the thread.

I'm trying a different format for game days -
Pre-Game Talk: free fire zone. dredge up all the past crap you want
GDT: for discussion about the game only. Essentially a ROR, Housley, and Murray free zone.
GBU: no change "God Bless Us" (we need it)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm already tired of people making excuses for these decisions.

I am 100% fully on board with Krueger being the McDermott of this team, someone to actually LEAD the team in the right direction mentally. Is he a good actual coach? Jury is out on that.

His early signs of player evaluation are not good. He is going to have Scandella and Sobotka be key ingredients to our penalty kill, he has already smashed Reinhart and Eichel back together after 1 preseason game when that was a good time to try things, Risto looks to be back in the 23 minute role (give or take). He's most likely made the wrong choice in goal to start off.

Prove me wrong Ralph.

I’m already tired of the ignorant takes from posters who think last season matters to a new coach picking his starting lineup after camp ends and only days from the opener.

Last season matters to the GM and influences who he brings back. It also influences where a new coach starts a player in camp. But once camp starts the new head coach starts shaping his roster based on training camp and preseason performances. Once we get to the end of camp and a few days from the opener. Last season is no longer relevant to a new coach picking his starting lineup for the opener.

Be mad at Botts that Sobotka came to camp in the first place. But don’t be mad at Krueger for playing him over Erod based on training camp. Erod was given a chance starting with a 2nd line spot and he didn’t preform well in his opportunity. I don’t like Sobotka any more than anyone else on here does. But I understand what played out. Its not excuse making to have an understanding of how things work.

Reactions: BowieSabresFan

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Not unless they've been the same for the past 4 years...

You do realize the coach is different, right? Being pessimistic about things that haven't happened yet is taking things to a whole new level. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad