TSN: Gally/Tavares/Willy line makeup interesting...

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
At best, he plays well enough to get another contract with a NHL team, whether it’s Toronto or elsewhere. At worse, he becomes another Vesey or one of many forwards in the taxi squad mix.

We really shouldn’t over analyze this.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
. . . Who was the last Russian we had that was good Markov?
Komarov was a Russian-born Finn. I don't know if that counts, but he was born to Russian parents in the former Soviet Union, spoke fluent Russian and played in the KHL.

Mind you, his nationality for IIHF purposes is Finnish, but he does hold dual Russian-Finnish citizenship.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
All our problems are solved.

Hurrah!!

giphy.gif

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
How does Willy end up behind the net with the puck all the time though? He doesn't hit but in close he's got great hands and and a great stick. When he has the puck most of the time it doesn't leave his stick till he wants it to. He wins more puck battles along the boards than he loses.
Not this year yes last year he went much harder for pucks and was a beast ... this season he has been a passenger except for 3 games

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I hope so ... I am a big Willy fan but da truth is da truth and too many people here are relying on his play last season
He will support Tavares low. It’s going to click. They both aren’t over quick skaters but both are good in close. Willy can do some puck lugging and hit them low. Defensive game matters most. I’ll turn on him if he doesn’t back pressure and work hard on his defensive game.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Historically, Tavares has found a winger-shooter that he has clicked with and he has elevated that guy significantly. If it turns out to be Galchenyuk here, this will be a sparkling result.

Pajama boy to Chucky has a sinister ring to it

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
his game has really fallen off, dont expect much from him
100 percent agree with you. If there was someone over the years as a project that we have gotten. He has probably the highest ceiling and one of the youngest with a decent background at an even younger age. I'm not hopeful, but I'll cheer for him and I'm intrigued.

Reactions: Ciao

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
He will support Tavares low. It’s going to click. They both aren’t over quick skaters but both are good in close. Willy can do some puck lugging and hit them low. Defensive game matters most. I’ll turn on him if he doesn’t back pressure and work hard on his defensive game.
Styles is quick enough man, I can't recall anybody skating him down when he has the puck flying up the wing. It may have happened but it must be rare because most of the time it seems like if Willy gets the puck in open ice he's gone. You aren't running him down.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
100 percent agree with you. If there was someone over the years as a project that we have gotten. He has probably the highest ceiling and one of the youngest with a decent background at an even younger age. I'm not hopeful, but I'll cheer for him and I'm intrigued.
Play defensively great and he’s a team upgrade because the scoring will be there structured off of team play. He doesn’t have to apply any pressure other than positioning and team play. He could have fun with this team being a support player. Keefe has a great locker room going on with the team now. They looked to be funing it in practice too.

Reactions: Its not your fault

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Expect him to fit into that vesey role perfectly where everyone complains about him until hes out of the lineup.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
A good centre can elevate his wingers and leafs have a pair of #1C.

You have to think that regardless if Gally plays with JT/WN or AM/MM he will be brought along and is being put in a good position to be successful..

Likely the best linemates he might have had in his entire career.
It helps he has a track record of production too. Sure he’s fallen off a bit but I don’t see Vesey having a 30 goal season ever.

Rondo Hatton

Dec 20, 2013
No expectations here, and anything unexpected is gravy.

Cost nothing and can disappear in the blink of an eye.

If he can put it together, could be a really dynamic LW to work with Tavares.

Yeah I'm taking a similar approach. He is where he is for a reason but will absolutely love it if he realizes his potential as a Leaf. But this is a longshot. Fortunately we're not hanging our hopes on guys like this.

Good Luck Galchenyuk - hey kinda rhymes

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Until I see otherwise ... We are the just latest bus stop from #3 draft pick to NHL dropout.
Personally I would have preferred giving Korshkov a good shot in the NHL ...

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Exactly. so he bounced around from Montreal to Arizona to Pittsburgh to Ottawa and he is going to all of a sudden figure it out in Toronto? I doubt it. He probably goes back on waivers by end of April. Having said that, I am not here to win any arguments. I hope he does well and surprises us because I am a Leafs fan and it will beneficial for the Leafs if he does well. Here's hoping he succeeds and we are 100% wrong.
Dan Cleary was a draft bust that rejuvinated his career with Detroit after chicago, edmonton and phoenix.
Sometimes these things happen

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Interested to see how it works out. Someone who has something to prove, has a good shot, good in tight. He will be given some great opportunities with Tavares and Nylander as his line mates. He needs to bury them when they come, because I don't think he will be as good defensively as Vesey was. I'm not saying he was a Selke candidate, but his D numbers were decent and he only had a few bone head giveaways. He was inert both ways, so if the Chuckster can help produce offense, it will go a long way to keeping him in the lineup.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Dan Cleary was a draft bust that rejuvinated his career with Detroit after chicago, edmonton and phoenix.
Sometimes these things happen
Mike Johnson nailed it with him. He said he needs to fit in to the system and play the system. Play a cog in the the machine and stick to team play has been his trouble. Savvy more important than skill in a nutshell is what he said. That’s not a tall order. 3 years ago on this team wouldn’t be a good fit. This team plays as a group much better. Simple defensive hockey 101 and he’s good. I’m hoping for offense out of him with a complete defensive foundation to what Keefer likes.
Ottawa was a terrible fit for him and he will be wanting to stick it to them when we play too. They mostly gave him defensive zone assignments and averaged 9:30 minutes per game there. Wrong utilization from the get go there.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
Until I see otherwise ... We are the just latest bus stop from #3 draft pick to NHL dropout.
Personally I would have preferred giving Korshkov a good shot in the NHL ...
I feel like this was a good season for him to get a long good look, and it says so much that he isn't here for it.

Also worth noting Korshkov is a whole 2 years younger than Galchenyuk. Still can't believe Mark Hunter hasn't been hired by any other team nearly 3 years after leaving the Leafs...

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Again, not getting my hopes up, but how sweet would it be for the Habs 3rd OA pick to bust with them and enjoy a renaissance with us......?

not holdin my breathe but maaaaaaaan!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad