TSN: Gally/Tavares/Willy line makeup interesting...

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
No matter what Galchenyuk is going to be better than Vesey, so if its a simple swap of 2 players then the Leafs are better.

But more importantly the addition of Chucky makes Kerfoot move down a line. Makes the 3rd and 4th lines better.
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Hyman
Simmonds-Engvall-Spezza

sorry for being a pessimist i dont see galli project working long term ... he is kind of garbage and i dont care what he accomplishes in the AHL.
Also, he definatly shouldnt be playing top 6.

its going to be more of a:
hyman - tavares - nylander
kerfoot - engvall - mikahev
galli/boyd - spezza - simmonds

type of thing after 2 games

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Can't expect much, but if he can play well on that line, that's a pretty big deal. It would reduce the need to bring in another forward and allow them to focus on other areas approaching the trade deadline.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
proof is in da pudding ... hope i am wrong ... but just don't see it at all ... i don't think this is a Keefe idear ... i bet it is Dubie
Holee man. Keefe makes the lineup. Dubas gives the players and they discuss everything like usual. He’s going to be a whole lot more effective than the gong show 9:30 average ice time in Ottawa with predominantly defensive zine starts.
The comparison is impossible to find similarities. This line is going to work teams down low hard. He’s a perfect type of player that Tavares will find.
Easy .5 pts per game coming.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Haha i love the caution on him here. Overly cautious really. He has to be defensively aware. Thats it, the rest will fall in to place. This is going to be a nice line. Don’t believe me I don’t care :)

Ottawa was a nightmare situation. Worst possible usage there. Worst possible position for success.

Reactions: Bellzy

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Holee man. Keefe makes the lineup. Dubas gives the players and they discuss everything like usual. He’s going to be a whole lot more effective than the gong show 9:30 average ice time in Ottawa with predominantly defensive zine starts.
The comparison is impossible to find similarities. This line is going to work teams down low hard. He’s a perfect type of player that Tavares will find.
Easy .5 pts per game coming.
But Gally and Willy don't ever go down low for pucks ... both these guys avoid da walls like da plague ... i guess JT will be ur guy who will fight and win pucks for da line ... Gally and Willy (with a very few game exceptions) are perimeter players

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
he's been the Marlies best forward since he joined the club (Including, Petan, Robertson, Barabanov). I think he can right now give you more than those guys, I'm sure Robertson will look great long term.

Chucky looks like he's fired out of a canon when his shifts start, his issue from what I have seen has always been engagement or "give a shit" meter.

If he competes as he has on the Marlies he can be a regular NHL player. He has an NHL shot, good size, mediocre skater that would benefit getting more into the slot/into the goalies face.

He seems to love to get a lane open while on the right circle for a shot and can force it a bit.

anyways, I think he's a solid Vesey replacement, who like Vesey could work in our middle 6 or be out of the line up in the next few games

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
sorry for being a pessimist i dont see galli project working long term ... he is kind of garbage and i dont care what he accomplishes in the AHL.
Also, he definatly shouldnt be playing top 6.

its going to be more of a:
hyman - tavares - nylander
kerfoot - engvall - mikahev
galli/boyd - spezza - simmonds

type of thing after 2 games

If you play Galchenyuk then he has to be top 6. He has the skill and the shot. IF you think hes a 4th liner then why waste 1M in cap space on this guy?

This is a gamble and high risk/high reward.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Al Arbour said to Bill Torrey in reference to Mike Bossy, we can teach him to play defence but we can't teach him to score.

If Galchenyuk brings an unteachable skill, then maybe the Leafs coaching staff can bring him up to the necessary standards on the things they can teach.

Mark me down as hopeful/undecided on this experiment.

It's a change, anyway, from whats been happening. At worst its a transition from an inferior player -- Vesey -- to something else not yet decided.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
But Gally and Willy don't ever go down low for pucks ... both these guys avoid da walls like da plague ... i guess JT will be ur guy who will fight and win pucks for da line ... Gally and Willy (with a very few game exceptions) are perimeter players

How does Willy end up behind the net with the puck all the time though? He doesn't hit but in close he's got great hands and and a great stick. When he has the puck most of the time it doesn't leave his stick till he wants it to. He wins more puck battles along the boards than he loses.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Honestly I'm pretty optimistic about Gally on the 2nd line... I think having another shoot first player on that line might change up the dynamic abit... Willy can cycle and then make his way to the net where he finds most of his goals.. JT can dig in and Gally can try to find lanes for him to be open and shoot more.. Gally isn't the player teams are going to cover on that line... So once he starts shooting more teams will have to respect his shot and that will open room up for Willy.

Not all line have to play the same or eventually teams start to figure out the pattern.. the 2 skilled players with one puck hound will eventually dry up.. having 2 shoot first wingers might get dman confused on who to cover.

It's worth a shot.. I was curious about Gally when we picked him up.. I wanted us to draft him (good choice we didn't) and I still see some potential there... There has to be. He lost his confidence but his potential should still be intact. Let's wait and find out.. give it a few games and see how the players find eachother.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I have been on the record as saying I was not a fan of acquiring Gally. I have never really felt good about the player dating back to his MTL days. Always thought he was massively overrated. His draft status and a single 30G campaign propped him up well beyond what he actually was showing from an eye test POV. His career has steadily declined since then, and has been given numerous "wake up calls" in the last couple years. You'd have thought being the suitcase he has become that it would have woken him up by now, unfortunately it hasn't. With that said, I am really coming around to this deal for a variety of reasons. The acquisition of Gally at the time was really shrewd as he cleared waivers I believe prior to being acquired. Which allowed the Leafs to play him in the AHL and recall him without having to clear. Up until that point, he had never spent a second in the A. If the AHL stint was not the splash of water on the face that this kid needed I really don't know what will be. He performed as expected down with the Marlies, and hopefully he can continue to play hungry knowing his career is hanging on by a thread. I really like the idea of playing him up the lineup. You have to find a way to get him going early on. I am usually optimistic, but I really do have a good feeling about him with JT and Willy.

A man either fights for his dignity and value, or he folds. This aspect of sports has always interested me. It says alot about the player and even his lineage.

He didn't sulk, he went to the AHL and worked to get back. I hope he proves Dubas right and his former employers wrong.

Making a million U.S to work harder than another man in pursuit of a puck is a hell of lot easier than 99% of what others do for far less.

Reactions: LeafsRus

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I only have 1 question for you? Who on this line of yours is going to take pucks away from other teams defenders? ie how does this line get any puck? To me I just don't see much hope for this line. It won't be able to get pucks in offensive end so it will be totally reliant on our defenders to pass it to them and any chance they get will be on da rush only. I guess we will see on Friday night ... my guess by Saturday Wayner will be there again

You do realize Nylander is actually elite level at puck retrieval right? no he's not a banger or crasher but the dude is great with his stick when hes engaged

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Galchenyuk is pretty much cooked at this point. I'd much rather give Petan a legit shot in the top-nine.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
A moody winger that check outs might not be the answer on the second line. That said, this is his last chance in the league, perhaps the light finally goes off with him.
When people show you who they are, it's usually best to believe them.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
You are going to be in for a little surprise I’d bet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad