TSN: Gally/Tavares/Willy line makeup interesting...

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Gally is the Type of winger that will work with Tavares. Just putting that out there. Personally i think this line will pop in short order. Needs a bit to form chemistry but it will form chemistry.
Dubas gets a steal here if Gally raises his defensive game. Hard work and defense first out of Gally and we are viewing this in two weeks really really positively.
Alex Galchenyuk appears close to making Toronto Maple Leafs debut - TSN.ca
Haha he laughed when asked what he thought about his opportunity to play with Will and Johnny.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
D
his game has really fallen off, dont expect much from him
id you watch his Marlies games. He wasn’t there to earn a job with the Leafs. He’s not a Ahl player. I say it clicks and I’ll tell you i expect he will be good. It’s not just him. I like the mix.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Galchenyuk is certainly being presented with the opportunity to succeed via these projected linemates. I'd deem that a necessity considering offensive output is the best (main?) part of his game.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I have been on the record as saying I was not a fan of acquiring Gally. I have never really felt good about the player dating back to his MTL days. Always thought he was massively overrated. His draft status and a single 30G campaign propped him up well beyond what he actually was showing from an eye test POV. His career has steadily declined since then, and has been given numerous "wake up calls" in the last couple years. You'd have thought being the suitcase he has become that it would have woken him up by now, unfortunately it hasn't. With that said, I am really coming around to this deal for a variety of reasons. The acquisition of Gally at the time was really shrewd as he cleared waivers I believe prior to being acquired. Which allowed the Leafs to play him in the AHL and recall him without having to clear. Up until that point, he had never spent a second in the A. If the AHL stint was not the splash of water on the face that this kid needed I really don't know what will be. He performed as expected down with the Marlies, and hopefully he can continue to play hungry knowing his career is hanging on by a thread. I really like the idea of playing him up the lineup. You have to find a way to get him going early on. I am usually optimistic, but I really do have a good feeling about him with JT and Willy.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
He’s a shooter with, apparently, poor defensive hockey sense. It’ll be a short leash. I think Dubas is going to make a trade, regardless of how Galchenyuk works out. If he plays well, however, it could change the type if player Dubas targets. Maybe a Foligno instead of a Hall or Granlund.

Reactions: Northernguy10

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
A moody winger that check outs might not be the answer on the second line. That said, this is his last chance in the league, perhaps the light finally goes off with him.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
I have been on the record as saying I was not a fan of acquiring Gally. I have never really felt good about the player dating back to his MTL days. Always thought he was massively overrated. His draft status and a single 30G campaign propped him up well beyond what he actually was showing from an eye test POV. His career has steadily declined since then, and has been given numerous "wake up calls" in the last couple years. You'd have thought being the suitcase he has become that it would have woken him up by now, unfortunately it hasn't. With that said, I am really coming around to this deal for a variety of reasons. The acquisition of Gally at the time was really shrewd as he cleared waivers I believe prior to being acquired. Which allowed the Leafs to play him in the AHL and recall him without having to clear. Up until that point, he had never spent a second in the A. If the AHL stint was not the splash of water on the face that this kid needed I really don't know what will be. He performed as expected down with the Marlies, and hopefully he can continue to play hungry knowing his career is hanging on by a thread. I really like the idea of playing him up the lineup. You have to find a way to get him going early on. I am usually optimistic, but I really do have a good feeling about him with JT and Willy.

Notably, Keefe said that Galchenyuk's response was encouraging (to that effect) and that it's not always the case with that type of assignment. His production could be an indication that he's a very good AHL player. Or it could be that he's profoundly aware of what a rare opportunity is his to take and being humble enough to do whatever is necessary (like take advantage of a demotion) in order to remain in the NHL as a Maple Leaf. So far, there's a few indicators that there's cause for (cautious) optimism.

If he ends up being a middle six guy with some special teams upside, who knows, perhaps he's more Zach Hyman than Nylander in the end. But I agree that the acquisition appears on it's face to be a shrewd one. We'll see...I know I'm pulling for him.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
He’s a shooter with, apparently, poor defensive hockey sense. It’ll be a short leash. I think Dubas is going to make a trade, regardless of how Galchenyuk works out. If he plays well, however, it could change the type if player Dubas targets. Maybe a Foligno instead of a Hall or Granlund.

Agreed on acquisition targets. Don't want Hall. Foligno and his ilk are what we need. Simmonds is proof positive that if the club is protected from impunity, our talent flourishes. Foligno's the type to keep both benches honest. We've got firepower. What we need is more sandpaper and accountability.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
That’s it. Defensively better is a simple goal. It’s been the case for players same age a thousand times. Simple game stay high on the puck nothing stupid in way of forcing plays,eat pucks when need to. For-check,back-check,pay cheque.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Agreed on acquisition targets. Don't want Hall. Foligno and his ilk are what we need. Simmonds is proof positive that if the club is protected from impunity, our talent flourishes. Foligno's the type to keep both benches honest. We've got firepower. What we need is more sandpaper and accountability.
I want nothing to do with Hall. To qualify that. I can’t stand the dude.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
This is probably his last shot at making an NHL team. If he doesn't show up, he's KHL bound. I don't have much faith. You dont bounce around like he has then suddenly figure it out, not that I wouldn't mind if he did.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
No matter what Galchenyuk is going to be better than Vesey, so if its a simple swap of 2 players then the Leafs are better.

But more importantly the addition of Chucky makes Kerfoot move down a line. Makes the 3rd and 4th lines better.
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Hyman
Simmonds-Engvall-Spezza

Reactions: LFCTML

Mitch Doris

Jan 20, 2021
He's fallen off the cliff, but I have a hard time blaming him for it all. Toronto is doing what the other NHL teams would not, and that is working with him, giving him time to get his game back. I don't think he will be the magic bullet, but if handled correctly he could be an asset in the top 6. Dude is only 27, plenty of time to get it together.

Alex Galchenyuk Making Most of Opportunity in Toronto

Reactions: LFCTML

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Craig Button likened the Galchenyuk reclamation project to what the Red Wings did with Daniel Cleary back in the 2000s. It’s an interesting narrative - former high first round pick with scoring pedigree flames out and gets rebuilt as a Jack of all trades all situation player on a championship. But while it’s nice to think of these story lines let’s take it one step at a time and see how he looks on the ice. Could see him finding a niche but could see him waived Vesey style in 4 weeks time when the Leafs have a deadline forward acquisition.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
No expectations here, and anything unexpected is gravy.

Cost nothing and can disappear in the blink of an eye.

If he can put it together, could be a really dynamic LW to work with Tavares.

Reactions: MJK

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The only reason you need Hall is to win the draft lottery. We did that already.
upload_2021-3-18_12-57-8.jpeg

Taylor Hall after practice today

Reactions: Eric bungay

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
His production could be an indication that he's a very good AHL player. Or it could be that he's profoundly aware of what a rare opportunity is his to take and being humble enough to do whatever is necessary (like take advantage of a demotion) in order to remain in the NHL as a Maple Leaf. So far, there's a few indicators that there's cause for (cautious) optimism.

He has to come out with First NHL game type of energy IMO. When it comes to Gally, I am less worried about his point production early on and more going to focus on his engagement/compete. Essentially be more than just a bystander. Aside from maybe 3-4 games, Jimmy was just physically there. He did nothing to move the needle. I really want to see some legs from gally

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Gally is the Type of winger that will work with Tavares. Just putting that out there. Personally i think this line will pop in short order. Needs a bit to form chemistry but it will form chemistry.
Dubas gets a steal here if Gally raises his defensive game. Hard work and defense first out of Gally and we are viewing this in two weeks really really positively.
Alex Galchenyuk appears close to making Toronto Maple Leafs debut - TSN.ca
Haha he laughed when asked what he thought about his opportunity to play with Will and Johnny.
I only have 1 question for you? Who on this line of yours is going to take pucks away from other teams defenders? ie how does this line get any puck? To me I just don't see much hope for this line. It won't be able to get pucks in offensive end so it will be totally reliant on our defenders to pass it to them and any chance they get will be on da rush only. I guess we will see on Friday night ... my guess by Saturday Wayner will be there again

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I only have 1 question for you? Who on this line of yours is going to take pucks away from other teams defenders? ie how does this line get any puck? To me I just don't see much hope for this line. It won't be able to get pucks in offensive end so it will be totally reliant on our defenders to pass it to them and any chance they get will be on da rush only. I guess we will see on Friday night ... my guess by Saturday Wayner will be there again
It’s not my line man
Wow quite the take. Pardon the pun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->