Player Discussion Galchenyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
The problem of Galchy is how he loss is faceoff... He super high on off zone, but doesn't care on d-zone. Plekky is around 50% on faceoff but use to take most of them cause when he loss then, we aren't ****ed...

McDavid versus Galchy... what a joke

Face-offs career numbers.

McDavid: 42%
Galchenyuk 45%.

That's the comparison. Not my fault you don't know how to read.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
If he gets consistent top-6 time as a centre, no being jerked around, and gets to play the wall on the powerplay I think he can lead this team in points this season. I have him projected for 65 over a full season if he's healthy.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
If he gets consistent top-6 time as a centre, no being jerked around, and gets to play the wall on the powerplay I think he can lead this team in points this season. I have him projected for 65 over a full season if he's healthy.

If he plays with Pacioretty, that's indeed possible.

But if he plays with Lehkonen and Gallagher/Danault/Shaw.. I'd see him around 55 pts, which would be totally fine for a 2nd C.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
If he plays with Pacioretty, that's indeed possible.

But if he plays with Lehkonen and Gallagher/Danault/Shaw.. I'd see him around 55 pts, which would be totally fine for a 2nd C.

Even if he plays with Lehkonen on the second I still see him getting top PP time. I think him receiving passes from Drouin (and alternatively, possibly feeding Weber cross-ice) will make him a potent PP weapon.

That is if he's on the wall of course.

I think, if I'm remembering correctly, I have him projected for 28 goals and 37 assists.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
If you want to lose all the faceoffs and defensive assignments sure. Galchenyuk is known to not be effective at center and TB wouldn't have traded Drouin if he was a prodigy at center.

TB had a cap space issue and Drouin was the price to be paid to get a decent player in return... revisionist history serves no one well.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Put him where he best helps the team,simple! thats the coaches job,to utilize to optimum capability for each asset. If the team flounders this season,then all coaches and staff should be gone along with the brass......bit I feel for a parade in June. I LOVE A PARADE.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Face-offs career numbers.

McDavid: 42%
Galchenyuk 45%.

That's the comparison. Not my fault you don't know how to read.

This is absurd. McDavid is 19 years old and taking fo aginst big tough NHL smart men who are 25 to 35.

Crosby had the same issue and worked on it. So will chuck. Mcdavid will likely be 50 percent this year or next knowing his drive and desire to be good.

saying chuck is better at fo than mcdavid right now is just a stupid argument.

both of them need to improve and both of them know it.

Fo are the last thing to worry about in any case.

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
This is absurd. McDavid is 19 years old and taking fo aginst big tough NHL smart men who are 25 to 35.

Crosby had the same issue and worked on it. So will chuck. Mcdavid will likely be 50 percent this year or next knowing his drive and desire to be good.

saying chuck is better at fo than mcdavid right now is just a stupid argument.

both of them need to improve and both of them know it.

Fo are the last thing to worry about in any case.

The argument isn't about one being better then the other, it's that not being great at faceoffs isn't a good enough reason for not playing a guy at center.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
The argument isn't about one being better then the other, it's that not being great at faceoffs isn't a good enough reason for not playing a guy at center.

Exactly. The whole FO argument against using Galchenyuk at center was overblown. Sad thing is that Julien probably buys into it.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I wish alex the best of luck this season. I hope he gets his fair shot at top 6, in the center position and on the PP and does not get injured.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Hearing that Alex Galchenyuk has been working feverishly harder than ever before, pleases this fan to no end, with the possibility that Alex will have the breakout year expected by Habs fans, when he became a center. Not that easy to transition to center, having more talented wingers to play with on the Top Nine, will certainly payoff handsomely, IMHO!!!...

Having had an injury mid season last year, didn't help Alex's cause at all, still he's a prolific talent in his own right, with the obvious physical attributes necessary to play center against the best NHLers. Yes, I believe in Galchenyuk's abilities to be a game changer, at 23yrs. of age Guy Lafleur had his breakout season on RW, this season will be the same for AG, IMHO!!!...:nod::nod::nod:

Go Alex Go!!!... light those goal lights up like they are neon, cheaper by the hattrick :laugh::laugh::laugh:. 2017/2018 promises to be a very memorable year in my estimation, Habs Attack swarming NHL goalies, like Killer Bee's in Action!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
More of a reason to start Chucky off at centre this year. Until his injury he was a top line centre. Had trouble coming back after rehabbing. Don't see why he wouldn't be given another shot.

Seriously, what do we have to lose by trying Chucky and Drouin at centre and see how it goes. If it's really apparent either or both can't handle it, then go out and get one via trade. Personally, I think we might already have our top 2 centres on the team already with at least one more in the system.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
More of a reason to start Chucky off at centre this year. Until his injury he was a top line centre. Had trouble coming back after rehabbing. Don't see why he wouldn't be given another shot.

Seriously, what do we have to lose by trying Chucky and Drouin at centre and see how it goes. If it's really apparent either or both can't handle it, then go out and get one via trade. Personally, I think we might already have our top 2 centres on the team already with at least one more in the system.

In that DLC article there is a link to another article on habs eyes on the prize that is very interesting and explains why both Julien and Therrien did not feel confortable with 27 at C and spoiler alert it has nothing to do with faceoffs

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
In that DLC article there is a link to another article on habs eyes on the prize that is very interesting and explains why both Julien and Therrien did not feel confortable with 27 at C and spoiler alert it has nothing to do with faceoffs

First off since the data doesn't show a center vs wing split it doesn't actually tell us why they moved him to wing or even if he benefited from being at wing. The numbers were probably worse at wing then at center.

Also the data showed that Galchenyuk was better when used against tougher competition and worse against lower competition. But I suspect it's a chicken vs egg situation, he started playing badly and so the coach played him less against tough competition which make the numbers not very representative.

The analysis also seems off, they are holding players to different standards. When Galchenyuk's DFF% drops by 2% and CF% by 6% going from middle of the pack to elite player it's highlighted as the reason the coach doesn't trust him. Yet Danault's DFF% dropped by 3.6% and CF% by 5% which is arguably even worse.

Sadly they only have data for last season, so it's tougher to get a read on his baseline since last season was so Jekyll & Hyde. The principal of making these tiers of players and seeing how they perform against them is interesting, but I think we would need more then a few hundred minutes of play to really get a feel for things.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
give Bergevin a break, he's only had 6 years to find a Center.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm happy to know CJ said he will try him at center. And if Galchenyuk can get back to his near PPG pace he was on before his injury, he'll be a center. MB can say it all day and night, but CJ calls the shots on the roster and he will give him his shot.

But even if Galchenyuk is a winger, I want him on the Habs no matter what. He's a great player with a lot of upside. He's still only 23.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hey guys, does he typically play LW or RW?

Just asking for NHL 18 purposes

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I like that they've finally made a decision on the kid and now he can concentrate on being an excellent winger. No more flip flopping back and forth. Should improve his game.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Seems like Drouin will start as the top center
I read that Bergevin said that Galchenyuk at RW is a possibility

so:
Pacioretty - Drouin - Galchenyuk
Lehkonen - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Plekanec - Hemsky
Hudon - Mitchell - Shaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad