Galchenyuk - The 'Can the Habs Develop a #1 Center?' Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Do any of you are suprised that this kind of stuff suddenly appear when contracts are in play? It's the same bull**** every. damn. time. People never learn.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I guess that caller should've said to Marinaro that the Habs should trade Carey Price and that Galchenyuk should play 25 minutes a night. :laugh: Breathe in.. Breathe out Tony. :)

This Galchenyuk story looks like it's well on it's way to very likely getting blown way out of proportion. :nod:

On it's way to getting blown way out of proportion?

I'd say it's waaaaayyy beyond that.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
That caller was just gold. I love it when Tony gets all riled up and starts talking in Italian.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Larionov shouldn't have said what he said.

But really, blaming the coach? "But DD got the toy and I didn't!!!"

Man up, learn how to skate and get stronger.

Yeah I don't care for the coach that much either, but look at yourself first. You were pathetic in the last 30-40 games of the season. Put it on yourself to make it impossible to choose other players before you. It's pretty sad that it got to the point that Torrey Mitchell on the ice made me far more comfortable.

Come on man.. he was light-years better than Davey when he was put into the position he was drafted for.. and still got the bump for Wittle Davey.

It's not just Chucky who has an issue with this.. Eller does as well. There's a lot of smoke about a locker-room divide where other players are angry at the coach for his preferential treatment and his clear bias against guys like Eller & Subban.

There does come a point where people break and it comes earlier for younger people. No matter what Chucky did, he was never going to get his role back from Davey. No matter what Eller does, he won't get it over Davey, not even a sniff of PP time no matter how bad the PP goes and how little he contributes.

At some point you just say **** it.. whats the point.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I fail to see the drama here. Maybe Galchenyuk thought the way Therrien put it didn't really made him justice, but all in all he did say that he could play left wing with ease and that he knew changes were coming. And I don't see how this misinterpretation means Galchenyuk hates Therrien - that's the gibberish I'm talking about.

Well, with the documented quotes, it appears that Therrien lied to the media about Galchenyuk, putting words in his mouth. I'd be pissed, too.

Therrien was interesting in the first year of his second stint. He really looked like he opened up a bit from his former bullyish ways. And his lack of tactical acumen was well compensated by the fact that he knows how to light a fire under his player's *****.

But now it seems we're totally back to bully Therrien and his 'my way or no way' approach. And his way is dump and change, 4th line hockey... for the whole lineup.

This guy's shelf-life is about 1.5 to 2 years. We're way beyond that and it's starting to hurt the team seriously.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Do any of you are suprised that this kind of stuff suddenly appear when contracts are in play? It's the same bull**** every. damn. time. People never learn.

Not really.. there never seems to be an issue with contracts for people like Davey, Mitchell, etc.

Bergevin just signs the blank cheque like he did for Moen.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

Yeah I don't care for the coach that much either, but look at yourself first. You were pathetic in the last 30-40 games of the season. Put it on yourself to make it impossible to choose other players before you. It's pretty sad that it got to the point that Torrey Mitchell on the ice made me far more comfortable.
Good post.

The blame is on both parties, I guess more on the management because the player is 21 years old... Nonetheless his skating, thinking, playing, everything were brutal toward the end of the year. Great players find ways to succeed, it doesn't look like Busty Chucky is going to be a great player - merely a good one. Like Afinogenov. Not like Duchene.

I fail to see the drama here. Maybe Galchenyuk thought the way Therrien put it didn't really made him justice, but all in all he did say that he could play left wing with ease and that he knew changes were coming. And I don't see how this misinterpretation means Galchenyuk hates Therrien - that's the gibberish I'm talking about.
Again, the link is up, the proof is there but you're not accepting the consequences. Fact is, this team coddles David Desharnais and it really hurts a lot of other aspects but as long as the Da Record stands, people won't be given a leg to stand on.

Not really.. there never seems to be an issue with contracts for people like Davey, Mitchell, etc.

BargainBin. Dude, just accept the term. He digs for bargains and shops out of the bargainbin. Marc BargainBin.

Use it. Live it. Love it.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
This is becoming absolutely nuts and out of proportion. This isn't like the first time that we saw a player changing of agent. The Brisson group has a great relationship with Bergevin. I see it as a plus. Galchenyuk is an important piece of our future and I toss everything away on the crap that we should trade away For the people whom saying it's the fault of Therrien this is absolutely B.S. He knows how to manage progression of young players. Crosby, Malkin and Jordan Staal all said that Therrien was an important factor in their development. I just see hate and false speculations.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is becoming absolutely nuts and out of proportion. This isn't like the first time that we saw a player changing of agent. The Brisson group has a great relationship with Bergevin. I see it as a plus. Galchenyuk is an important piece of our future and I toss everything away on the crap that we should trade away For the people whom saying it's the fault of Therrien this is absolutely B.S. He knows how to manage progression of young players. Crosby, Malkin and Jordan Staal all said that Therrien was an important factor in their development. I just see hate and false speculations.

LOL

Crosby and Malkin would be great even if a monkey coached them.. Wait.. a monkey did.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal

Obviously, second tier players won't get that kind of media bull****. They are, after all, second tier players and their contract are easily signed (and it's easy to get rid of them). Are you surprised that better players - with potentially great careers - are a whole different animal? Really?

I also like how you're blaming Bergevin because the agent talked to the media. This board never fails.

Well, with the documented quotes, it appears that Therrien lied to the media about Galchenyuk, putting words in his mouth. I'd be pissed, too.

Well, not everyone is like you and some can act professionally. The way you guys pamper every players is amazing.

Again, the link is up, the proof is there but you're not accepting the consequences. Fact is, this team coddles David Desharnais and it really hurts a lot of other aspects but as long as the Da Record stands, people won't be given a leg to stand on.

:laugh: Some people are reading way too much Réjean Tremblay. Accepting the consequences? What consequences? Also, good job at finding a way to put Desharnais in this.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
True but that's nothing new when the Habs are involved.

Agreed...but this is gratuitous shots at the coaching staff/management for nothing.

What the hell do they have to do with Galchenyuk deciding to go with a different agent.

Who the hell cares if Galchenyuk is unhappy with his icetime, it would be newsworthy if he WAS happy with his current situation right now.

The only players who aren't unhappy about their icetime, are the players getting all the icetime.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Crosby and Malkin could've been coached by MT's grandmother and they still would've developed into the players they are today based on talent alone.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

That's the point. Guys like Desharnais, Emelin, Mitchell, Moen. They all get very generous contracts, usually months before any deadline. Can't risk seeing these guys get near free agency!! Even Prust, whom I'm fine with, was offered a generous contract, especially generous term for the money.

And then you have guys like Subban, Galchenyuk and even Eller, for whom negociations always seem to be complicated. Even Patches, our most skilled forward, was offered a pretty lowball contract (but he signed it).

There's a clear trend here. A great GM will willingly pay for talent and try to patch up the holes and bottom 6 with cheap contracts. Bergevin is patching and patching with the most expensive brands of polyfilla.

But when it comes to paying for talent... eh... sorry, no money left... spent too much on polyfilla.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Agreed...but this is gratuitous shots at the coaching staff/management for nothing.

What the hell do they have to do with Galchenyuk deciding to go with a different agent.

Who the hell cares if Galchenyuk is unhappy with his icetime, it would be newsworthy if he WAS happy with his current situation right now.

The only players who aren't unhappy about their icetime, are the players getting all the icetime.

It would probably be a good idea for Galchenyuk to come out and speak to the media with his side of the story about this situation. For me this is just another player changing his agent like other players have done before and it's no big deal.

If Galchenyuk isn't happy about his ice time I don't blame him for feeling that way. I'm only a fan and watching the games this year I wasn't happy with how MT handled Galchenyuk either so I have no problem with Galchenyuk being pissed about his situation.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

You have got to be kidding me...

He needs to be better? How the **** can people STILL be saying this after all this time? It's right up there with Eller and how we've treated him.

For the last time there is NOOOOOOO reason for us to have put DD ahead of him. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. It is blind favouritism. Never should've happened. But here we are.

Stop blaming the players! When we consistently play inferior players over better ones it's on the team not the players. For Pete's sake man, how often do we have to see this before we realize that our management have been stupid about how they've handled things? We put him in, he does well, the team's offense goes up and the record is stellar... so naturally we - MOVE HIM TO THE WING AGAIN????
Good post.

The blame is on both parties, I guess more on the management because the player is 21 years old... Nonetheless his skating, thinking, playing, everything were brutal toward the end of the year. Great players find ways to succeed, it doesn't look like Busty Chucky is going to be a great player - merely a good one. Like Afinogenov. Not like Duchene.
Nonsense! The blame belongs with the team not the players. There's NO justfication for how we've managed this roster.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

That's the point. Guys like Desharnais, Emelin, Mitchell, Moen. They all get very generous contracts, usually months before any deadline. Can't risk seeing these guys get near free agency!! Even Prust, whom I'm fine with, was offered a generous contract, especially generous term for the money.

Desharnais was a mistake - no one, not even Bergevin himself, can deny that. Every GM makes mistakes, it happens.

Emelin - not sure what's so bad about his contract, 4.1M for a player who plays 20+ mins a game? He's not an albatross to move, I bet his value around the league is much higher than it is among his fanbase.

Mitchell - Why are we complaining about such a meaningless contract?

Moen - I believe this was one of Bergevin's first moves, another mistake and I believe he admitted as much. Moen had just come off a solid season and playoff series, was a respected veteran on the team. Either way, he was able to move him without taking on additional salary

Prust - was a UFA, anytime you sign a UFA, you're going to have to be generous. Again though, it's not a problem for the Habs???

And then you have guys like Subban, Galchenyuk and even Eller, for whom negociations always seem to be complicated. Even Patches, our most skilled forward, was offered a pretty lowball contract (but he signed it).

Subban and Galchenyuk were/are RFA's...Subban's negotiations were complicated for several reasons which have been well detailed on this board. As for Galchenyuk, not sure how you assume it's complicated, the season ended a few weeks ago for the Habs. There's only this misconception that it's a complicated negotiation because of the news that came out about Larionov and over zealous fans, when in truth, this negotiation is as straight forward as it gets.

Your point about Pacioretty, I don't get either...lowball contract? Are you upset that the Habs have their best forward signed at an excellent value? It's bad to have arguably, the best contract in the NHL?

There's a clear trend here. A great GM will willingly pay for talent and try to patch up the holes and bottom 6 with cheap contracts. Bergevin is patching and patching with the most expensive brands of polyfilla.

But when it comes to paying for talent... eh... sorry, no money left... spent too much on polyfilla

The only trend here is some bored fans looking to make an issue out of anything and everything, to promote their agenda against management.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The only trend here is some bored fans looking to make an issue out of anything and everything, to promote their agenda against management.
What agenda? Seriously what the hell are you talking about? Stop it with this crap about "agenda."

Everyone here is a fan of the team. If we weren't we wouldn't be here. The only agenda is to see the team win. People disagree on how to do this. Stop with the "agenda" crap. You think management is right? Okay defend it. But just because people disagree with you it doesn't mean there's some kind of "agenda."

(Note: I say the above as a poster not as a mod. You are of course free to continue with this nonsense about telling posters you don't agree with that they have an 'agenda'. It's not true in the slightest but you're certainly free to do it.)

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

It would probably be a good idea for Galchenyuk to come out and speak to the media with his side of the story about this situation. For me this is just another player changing his agent like other players have done before and it's no big deal.

IMO, that would be a terrible idea...he's allowed to fire his agent and choose whatever representation he wants and he shouldn't have to justify that personal choice. It's not really anyone's business who handles his business affairs.

People have just way too much access to information, makes everyone feel like they're owed an explanation on everything, which couldn't be further from the truth.

If Galchenyuk isn't happy about his ice time I don't blame him for feeling that way. I'm only a fan and watching the games this year I wasn't happy with how MT handled Galchenyuk either so I have no problem with Galchenyuk being pissed about his situation

Neither do I...I just don't think it really matters in the grand scheme of things. He's like the majority of players in the NHL, he thinks he should have a larger role. Not exactly an uncommon situation in the NHL.

You don't think Nazeem Kadri feels the same way? Or Mike Zibanejad? etc etc...I could go on and on here.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal

People are bored. Media needs content.

Its the off-season.

After the NHL draft and FA period it will be time for a long HF vacation. :)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What agenda? Seriously what the hell are you talking about? Stop it with this crap about "agenda."

Everyone here is a fan of the team. If we weren't we wouldn't be here. The only agenda is to see the team win. People disagree on how to do this. Stop with the "agenda" crap. You think management is right? Okay defend it. But just because people disagree with you it doesn't mean there's some kind of "agenda."

Is this joke?

Are you telling me that there's not a large segment of fans on this board who have it in for the coaching staff/management and are using this story about Galchenyuk firing his agent, to push their narrative against them?

Come on...it's littered throughout this very thread

This has nothing to do with anyone disagreeing with me. I don't agree with everything management does.

I just don't understand how Bergevin got involved into the discussion about Galchenyuk firing his agent, what does that have to do with him????

or even this talk about Galchenyuk being unhappy with his role...it has absolutely nothing to do with the negotiation process.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Your point about Pacioretty, I don't get either...lowball contract? Are you upset that the Habs have their best forward signed at an excellent value? It's bad to have arguably, the best contract in the NHL?

He offered 4.1M to Emelin and 4.5M to Patches. Patches got 2 years more, but he was also much younger when signing.

Think about it... Our GM thinks that Emelin is worth 4.1M and Patches 4.5M. If that's not lowballing Patches, I don't know what to say.

People always praise the GM for a move like that (Patches contract) but I don't understand why. If you want to praise someone, praise Patches, who took one for the team on that contract.

Bottom line is, when it comes to defense, depth and character, Bergevin is very generous. When it comes to goal scoring and skill... not so much.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
From everything that's coming out, sounds like Galchenyuk wants to be at centre but MT doesn't want him there (...yet). Chucky told his agents and they told him to be patient rather than going to MT and voicing their clients displeasure. Pissed off Chucky as he wants hi agents to have his back and lack of production is costing him $$$ in his negotiations.

Sound about right?

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
All I've said, it's that they tell that Therrien help them to be better pros.

Therrien could not favor a lesser center over those three and cause the expected psychological results. crosby was their number 1, Malkin their #2, and Staal the #3.

DD, however, is being put on a pedestal by the man at the expense of Galchenyuk.

The results of favoritism are universal, unlikely bound by age or occupation. Those in the out crowd will produce less and will not go to bat for their boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad