Galchenyuk - The 'Can the Habs Develop a #1 Center?' Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
To add to my post in the previous thread:
Honestly, I wouldn't be pissed if Chucky played one year in the KHL. Some players have done it and it's done wonders to their game: Hudler, Giordano. It's a fact that Therrien and company don't want to let Galchenyuk play center (at least not anytime soon). This would allow AG to prove himself at center and shut them up. Also, some people have casually brought up the idea of Alex playing in the AHL but it would have been seen as a demotion and a sign of 'regression' (which is absurd since we've seen the benefits of it for a guy like Ryan Johansen), considering the KHL is a level above of the AHL, it would be benefitial for his game and his confidence IMO. Add all that with the fact that it clearly shows that the players are not behind the coach and it could be an additional stain on Therrien's dossier. This could also force Bergevin to get some offensive help which is definitely our biggest weakness at the moment. All I want is for this to not explode in our faces and for MB to panic and trade Chucky because this shows his 'lack' of character.

PS: I'm fully aware that this is your typical rumor to raise a player's value during negotiations but I'm just trying to put out the pros if this rumor comes to life.

Just thought about this too, Chucky leaving could force a Rychel trade for example.

PricePkPatch*

Full Drama Overreaction in...

...what do you mean, i'm 10 hours too late for a countdown?!

Gamble80

Sep 23, 2014
To add to my post in the previous thread:
Honestly, I wouldn't be pissed if Chucky played one year in the KHL. Some players have done it and it's done wonders to their game: Hudler, Giordano. It's a fact that Therrien and company don't want to let Galchenyuk play center (at least not anytime soon). This would allow AG to prove himself at center and shut them up. Also, some people have casually brought up the idea of Alex playing in the AHL but it would have been seen as a demotion and a sign of 'regression' (which is absurd since we've seen the benefits of it for a guy like Ryan Johansen), considering the KHL is a level above of the AHL, it would be benefitial for his game and his confidence IMO. Add all that with the fact that it clearly shows that the players are not behind the coach and it could be an additional stain on Therrien's dossier. This could also force Bergevin to get some offensive help which is definitely our biggest weakness at the moment. All I want is for this to not explode in our faces and for MB to panic and trade Chucky because this shows his 'lack' of character.

PS: I'm fully aware that this is your typical rumor to raise a player's value during negotiations but I'm just trying to put out the pros if this rumor comes to life.

Just thought about this too, Chucky leaving could force a Rychel trade for example.

Chucky needs to be given a chance that lasts more than a couple games, not be placed in the minors...that's just ridiculous...or play in the khl...WTF???

You want to know the solution to the problem? Desharnais needs to go! Then Therrien can't play the bum in the position that is rightfully Chucky's, and it will open the door up for Galchenyuk to grow into the player that we know he can be.

Desharnais and Therrien are 100% the reason that Galchenyuk's progress isn't where we want it to be...

HabsDieHard*

I don't believe Galchenyuk could be sent to the AHL even if both him and the team wanted it.

realtalk11

Oct 7, 2013
He played his best hockey when centering patches. Max was also playing very good.

Then ....

HabsDieHard*

He played his best hockey when centering patches. Max was also playing very good.

Then ....

He struggled enormously down the stretch and in the playoffs.

During the playoffs this team got zero offence from their centers.

Yet Galcheynuk never played there, despite him playing so poorly on the wing that he was a detriment some nights.

I guess the team wants to see 40 career playoff games from Desharnais before they make any "rash" judgments.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Chucky needs to be given a chance that lasts more than a couple games, not be placed in the minors...that's just ridiculous...or play in the khl...WTF???

You want to know the solution to the problem? Desharnais needs to go! Then Therrien can't play the bum in the position that is rightfully Chucky's, and it will open the door up for Galchenyuk to grow into the player that we know he can be.

Desharnais and Therrien are 100% the reason that Galchenyuk's progress isn't where we want it to be...

News flash, I don't like Desharnais and I'm far from a Therrien fan but this is the cards that were dealt with as fans. I don't disagree that Galchenyuk should have given a longer look at center and that it should be his position going forward, but the reality seems to be that the management doesn't see him as a center. Based on comments made by Greg McKagg on here, DD has no value and I don't find that hard to believe considering the package he brings and his contract. I'm just trying to analyze the benefits and the consequences of Chucky leaving for a season in the KHL.

HabsDieHard*

News flash, I don't like Desharnais and I'm far from a Therrien fan but this is the cards that were dealt with as fans. I don't disagree that Galchenyuk should have given a longer look at center and that it should be his position going forward, but the reality seems to be that the management doesn't see him as a center.

But they see a 28 year old 5 foot 7 center with 13 points in 38 career playoff games as a top 6 center?

This is the main issue right now with Bergevin.

if he doesn't think Galchenyuk is a lcok as a top 6 center in the NHL moving forward, that's one thing.

If he feels that Desharnais is a better option NOW or in the future, that's an entirely different thing.

And a very concerning thing to be honest.

I'd rather watch them try to develop Galchenyuk into a top 6 center, and see him fail down the road, than watch them continue to gift wrap that pathetic little floater, knowing that he is never going to be a top 6 center on a contender.

But again, there's no reason to believe Bergevin is smart enough to realize that, based on his words and actions to date.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Why would he go to the KHL? The Russian currency has been spiralling down. The economic forecast is at best highly precarious. Right now Russian players want to come to NA. Not the other way around.... The rumor doesn't pass the smell test.

However the risk of an offer sheet is not complete science-fiction. It now cost less for teams in terms of picks to sign RFAs to a multi-million dollar contract. If the Habs offer little or nothing, he might have possibilities with another NHL team.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Why would he go to the KHL? The Russian currency has been spiralling down. The economic forecast is at best highly precarious. Right now Russian players want to come to NA. Not the other way around.... The rumor doesn't pass the smell test.

However the risk of an offer sheet is not complete science-fiction. It now cost less for teams in terms of picks to sign RFAs to a multi-million dollar contract. If the Habs offer little or nothing, he might have possibilities with another NHL team.

Funny how nobody is talking about it here but there's a 12 page thread on the main board. I guess other teams fans really wish it were true.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Looking at the Subban Bridge Deal as the model for Galchenyuk. Subban was offered 2,875,000/year which in today's $ is a bit less than 3 M$ (2,983,670).

So for another team to get Galchenyuk at the price of Subban's deal it would only cost a 2nd Round pick. Habs would match.

But if he's offer sheeted at 5 M$ (cost: 1 First, 1 Third) do the Habs match?
or at 7 M$ (cost: 1 First, 1 Second, 1 Third)?

Basically the price of 1 First, 1 Second, 1 Third, is a joke for a 21 year old 20-goal scorer with upside. So it now becomes only a money issue...

Habs brass looked less than excited with Galchenyuk's output. And they seemed set with Plekanec and a "fantastic" looking DD as Top-2 Centers for next season. Will it tempt any other team to snag a potential 1C ?

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

Why would he play in Canada when the Canadian Dollar isn't doing very well either? Could it be he's being paid in American Dollars, just as he could be paid in American Dollars if he plays in Russia?

Maybe the team signing him is financially solvent and has no trouble paying him what he wants. I don't see him signing an offer sheet, if he doesn't want to play here he'll demand a trade or leave for the KHL, imo.

Look at ROR, the offer sheet mess looks bad on him, he would of been better off to demand a trade.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
A one point Chiarelli doubted Seguin could be an NHL center.... just saying.

Bergevin would be very unwise to prevent this move and could be the thing to end his time here. Chucky works too hard not to be a proficient NHL center.

HabsDieHard*

Looking at the Subban Bridge Deal as the model for Galchenyuk. Subban was offered 2,875,000/year which in today's $ is a bit less than 3 M$ (2,983,670).

So for another team to get Galchenyuk at the price of Subban's deal it would only cost a 2nd Round pick. Habs would match.

Basically the price of 1 First, 1 Second, 1 Third, is a joke for a 21 year old 20-goal scorer with upside. So it now becomes only a money issue...

Habs brass looked less than excited with Galchenyuk's output. And they seemed set with Plekanec and a "fantastic" looking DD as Top-2 Centers for next season. Will it tempt any other team to snag a potential 1C ?

Haha, did they actually say that about Desharnais?

So completely clueless, it's funny.

HabsDieHard*

Why would he play in Canada when the Canadian Dollar isn't doing very well either? Could it be he's being paid in American Dollars, just as he could be paid in American Dollars if he plays in Russia?

Maybe the team signing him is financially solvent and has no trouble paying him what he wants. I don't see him signing an offer sheet, if he doesn't want to play here he'll demand a trade or leave for the KHL, imo.

Look at ROR, the offer sheet mess looks bad on him, he would of been better off to demand a trade.

How does it look bad on ROR?

he felt his team wasn't offering him fair value so he held out to get it.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Earth calls the moon. Earth calls the moon. The KHL is barely solvent as a league at this point, any escalation of the current situation would mean that players might actually be stuck over there.

Also, the Canadian dollar lost 20% on the US dollar.
The Russian Rouble lost 60+% on the US Dollar, on top of the oil shock (most of the KHL teams are owned by oil consortiums)

Last time the Canadian dollar lost 40-50% of its value, the country lost Quebec City and Winnipeg, and nearly Montreal, Edmonton, Ottawa.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Earth calls the moon. Earth calls the moon. The KHL is barely solvent as a league at this point, any escalation of the current situation would mean that players might actually be stuck over there.

Also, the Canadian dollar lost 20% on the US dollar.
The Russian Rouble lost 60+% on the US Dollar, on top of the oil shock (most of the KHL teams are owned by oil consortiums)

Last time the Canadian dollar lost 40-50% of its value, the country lost Quebec City and Winnipeg, and nearly Montreal, Edmonton, Ottawa.

If Galchenyuk signs a 1 year deal for $7 million U.S. in Russia and half of that is a signing bonus he is still better off then signing , as an example, a 2 year $5 million bridge contract, no matter what happens.

Look at players that signed with the WHA and then their teams folded, it was no big deal unless they weren't good enough to get a job somewhere else.

A lot of players that play in Europe get paid in U.S. Dollars and I would expect Galchenyuk to be paid in U.S. Dollars.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I call bull **** on this article. It's probably a stunt by Igor Larionov to make Bergevin not give his client a bridge contract.

Galchenyuk is far from busting. He's the best and most productive player of his draft class. 20 goals in his 2nd real full season is pretty good for a guy playing under MT and behind DD. Next year, I'm pretty sure he can put in 30 goals easily. 65 points next year..that's just 19 points more than this year where he was switched with so many linemates. Give him the center position and stable wingers, than we're going to have a stud. Sherback-Galchenyuk-Gallagher ... or ... TJ Oshie-Galchenyuk-Gallagher. BOOM

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Galchenyuk is ahead of Johansen at similar age...

For how much longer will this nonsense be paraded? Johansen is a physical, 30-30 CENTRE in the NHL. Bustchenyuk is what?

Not even his own GM thinks he's gonna be a centre next year, Busty Chucky is ahead of nobody.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I call bull **** on this article. It's probably a stunt by Igor Larionov to make Bergevin not give his client a bridge contract.

Galchenyuk is far from busting. He's the best and most productive player of his draft class. 20 goals in his 2nd real full season is pretty good for a guy playing under MT and behind DD. Next year, I'm pretty sure he can put in 30 goals easily. 65 points next year..that's just 19 points more than this year where he was switched with so many linemates. Give him the center position and stable wingers, than we're going to have a stud. Sherback-Galchenyuk-Gallagher ... or ... TJ Oshie-Galchenyuk-Gallagher. BOOM
For how he's been used, I'm happy with the production. I wanted to see a 60 point season from him and I think if he'd been used properly he would've achieved it easily. I'm not worried about him... yet.

I'm more worried about how we're going to use him going forward.
For how much longer will this nonsense be paraded? Johansen is a physical, 30-30 CENTRE in the NHL. Bustchenyuk is what?

Not even his own GM thinks he's gonna be a centre next year, Busty Chucky is ahead of nobody.
Johansen was still breaking into the league at 20. Galchenyuk is ahead of where he was for sure.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Thing is chucky doesn't deserve 7 mil. I would not accept 1.2.3 round picks for him but under new lottery system 1sts may be worth more than you think. Still, 7 mil? If someone offered that I might just let him walk.

dre2112

Jul 17, 2007
US and A
Galchenyuk has 1 less point from his off-position than our #1 center that played most of the season with Pacioretty, got top line minutes, played the 1st PP unit and was used in more offensive zone situations. So how is Desharnais the #1 or #2 center on this team? Guy is garbage but gets every opportunity handed to him on a silver spoon, but Glachenyuk needs to earn every second of ice time?

Galchenyuk could easily have had 60 points in the same spot as Desharnais.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad