Injury Report: Galchenyuk skated with team during optional practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
All I want to point out too, is that from this point on in the playoffs, experience is INVALUABLE.

Seguin sat a good chunk of the 2011 playoffs run to the cup. It's no concern. And I'm sure he grew better from this experience.

And when he was inserted in the line-up, he gave them some good production. Right now, Galchenyuk shouldn't be inserted in the line-up. It would be unfair to the group of forwards who brought us to the next round. Give Galchenyuk a couple of practices with the team like they did with Moen although this time they don't have the luxury of having 10 days off... Galchenyuk performed really well in the playoffs last year and obviously he's one of our most skilled forward.
If we were to take someone out of the line-up it would probably be Bourque unless Prust is done physically. Like someone mentioned above me, Bourque hasn't been bad but he's been cold offensively (which isn't a surprise since he is what he is). Prust will have a huge chip on his shoulder against his former team and we need some grit. If we take out Prust then that leaves us with little toughness/grit. Anyway if we keep winning or losing in close games, I doubt we see any changes. You don't wanna affect the chemistry these lines have in a negative way and you know sitting Bourque could have a bad effect (or a positive one) considering his motivation problems. His reasoning could be: ''I score some big goals in round 1 and they play this rookie who hasn't played in weeks over me. WTF.'' Or he could come back more hungry. Anyway we saw Bournival with Eller and Gionta at one point last game and they had some nice chemistry and put great pressure in the Bruins' end.

Pacioretty-DD-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Vanek
Bournival-Eller-Gionta
Prust-Briere-Weise

TofoEmptyNt

Nov 10, 2013
Ontario
Pacioretty-DD-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Vanek
Bournival-Eller-Gionta
Prust-Briere-Weise

I'm cool with this. Maybe keep Bourque in, move Bournival to the 4th for Prust.
How awesome would it be if Chucky came back and lit it up. The way this run has been going, it wouldn't surprise me.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Galchenyuk is our 3rd or 4th best winger, if he's healthy you play him. As good as Bournival has been he'd be the guy who would sit.. Prust has been great the last 2 games and he'll be absolutely fired up to play against his old team. Plus if NYR has Pejorative Slurs like Dorsett/Carcillo playing you'll want Prust in the lineup to help limit them taking runs at our key players.

Really hope to see Chucky on the wing with Plek and Vanek.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Galchenyuk is our 3rd or 4th best winger, if he's healthy you play him. As good as Bournival has been he'd be the guy who would sit.. Prust has been great the last 2 games and he'll be absolutely fired up to play against his old team. Plus if NYR has Pejorative Slurs like Dorsett/Carcillo playing you'll want Prust in the lineup to help limit them taking runs at our key players.

Well said, agree completely. As much as I like Bournival he will sit if Galchenyuk is ready.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Don't mess with the lineup... yet.

Bourque has slowed down (again).

Like many posters have said, he is one player that could be 'rested'.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Some poster here are ridiculous..... Gionta have been the best defensive forward so far this post season and he's getting quality scoring chances as well and some of you think he should be the one out if Chucky return in the lineup???????

Galchenyuk won't play the first game saturday imho but for game 2, take Prust/Bournival who was worst in game 1

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Galchenyuk won't play the first game saturday imho but for game 2, take Prust/Bournival who was worst in game 1

Great, but would be nice to know if Galchenyuk will be cleared for game 2, game 4 or whatever. No official announcement as of yet.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
An easy narrowed decision for me (and I bet the MTL organization):

Bourque or Bournival

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
You guys are nuts if you take out Bournival before Bourque.

Bourque gives you absolutely nothing if he's not scoring, which he isn't.

Bournival made a huge play to draw that penalty last night with his speed and desire. Those 2 things will never be in doubt with him. Also, he doesn't take penalties.

Honestly, the 2 forwards who I thought looked tired or sometimes didn't have that step to make a play were Gionta and Bourque. I'm willing to give Gionta a pass because it was a really tough 7 game series and the odds of him getting a step back after a few days are high.

I think you can keep Galchenyuk chomping at the bit and whoever starts slowing down as the series wears on can take a night off.

Last edited:

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Bourque for me... but we'll see. Bournival and Prust come to mind after.

One thing is sure, getting Chucky back makes this team even more lethal and scary...

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
It's tough. I'm not sure what I'd do here.

I wouldn't touch the Desharnais or Eller lines.

Why not remove Bourque? Because he's playing like a solid veteran. Even when he's not been scoring of late, he's been playing solid. He had a couple of outstanding shifts last night. Good at protecting the puck, keeping it deep, winning battles. Complements Gionta and Eller well in that he's good at bringing the puck to the net where Gionta can battle hard and Eller can come in from the high slot. And because he's playing like a solid veteran, it allows the coaching staff to rely on this line as a solid all-around line, giving the Plekanec line more room to push things offensively.

Here's the dilemma for me:

Galchenyuk with Plekanec and Vanek: on the one hand, I'd like to see this happen because Plekanec brings the speed and forechecking/tenacity/fundamentals, Vanek's demonstrated a great deal of creativity but Bournival's lack of offensive prowess has squandered much of that creativity. It'd be nice to see Galchenyuk complement Vanek, leaving the heavier lifting for Plekanec on that line. On the other hand, Plekanec is going to face off against Richards in all likelihood, and so his line needs to be strong defensively and gain a speed advantage, which he'd have with Bournival.

Galchenyuk with Briere and Weise: I like this because it pushes Montreal to have 4 lines that can score, with some defensive conscience on each line and some grit/tenacity on each line. That's nice. It doesn't maximize Galchenyuk, however, and Montreal may need to put his offensive talent to better use (along with Vanek's) in order to score. NYR has a much better D than BOS, and superior goaltending. So the team will need to throw more talent out there. Further, it's tough to bench Prust after two really solid games.

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
Such a tough decision on who to replace with Galchenyuk. All players are doing great and have a good fit with the team right now that I'm almost afraid to mess up the chemistry.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Such a tough decision on who to replace with Galchenyuk. All players are doing great and have a good fit with the team right now that I'm almost afraid to mess up the chemistry.

Luckily, the chemistry is with the team as a whole and not confined to specific lines. We've already mixed-and-matched lineups without a problem. Galchenyuk's upside is higher than the players he'd replace. Once he's 100%, he should be in.

Who sits?

- Bournival: No way. He's no sniper, but the kid has become a responsible two-way forward with mutant speed. He's gotten to pucks in both zones that no one else on our team could have reached.

- Bourque: My vote. Rene has one good gear, and if it's not firing on all cylinders he becomes expendable.

- Briere: No. Daniel should do even better against the less-physical Rangers.

- Prust: Always the same answer -- play him IF he's healthy. If not, let him heal up a bit before re-injuring himself again in the name of victory.

- No other forward is in this discussion.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Don't mess with the lineup... yet.

Bourque has slowed down (again).

Like many posters have said, he is one player that could be 'rested'.

MT should talk to Bourque. If he continue his disappear act in Game 1 against the Rangers then replacing him with Galchenyuk if he is ready to go.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Bourque for me... but we'll see. Bournival and Prust come to mind after.

One thing is sure, getting Chucky back makes this team even more lethal and scary...

I think you at least start Prust in this series. It's his former team and he'll really want it. He knows their weaknesses and tendencies.

Oct 22, 2012
I think you at least start Prust in this series. It's his former team and he'll really want it. He knows their weaknesses and tendencies.

I too said sit Prust, but after watching vids of the first goal last night, Prust took two hits against the boards before dishing it to Briere.

Factor that in with extra motivation to beat your old team, maybe a good idea to start him

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
MT should talk to Bourque. If he continue his disappear act in Game 1 against the Rangers then replacing him with Galchenyuk if he is ready to go.

This may be the best way to go. The first game with the line-up that
beat the bruins. Then try get Galchenyuk into game two. That's still early
in the series. I don't want him suddenly stuck into a high pressure game
late in the series.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Galchenyuk is not better than anyone on this team right now, not at this point. I can't believe I am saying that.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

And Bournival has been one of the four best forwards on the team. Every shift, he keeps the puck in the opponents zone. If he sits, we will have even less possession.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Galchenyuk is not better than anyone on this team right now, not at this point. I can't believe I am saying that.
I actually agree. When we will lose, put him up instead of Prust or Bourque, whoever had the worst game. I think it should be Prust based on his play so far, but maybe he'll step up against his former team.

I couldn't say anything bad against Bournival for the whole season (and playoffs).

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
I don't know if you can put him in for Prust because Prust kills penalties. Moen in for Prust is a similar role swap. Galchenyuk kind of disrupts that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad