Injury Report: Galchenyuk skated with team during optional practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
It's not a sprint..it's a marathon.

I think back to the Flames' Cup win in '89...Lanny McDonald and Peplinski were co-captains..and were also scratches for several games. You can't be too worried about ruffling someone's feathers during a Cup run..if Gio is the one who deserves to be scratched..scratch him for a game or two. You don't think he'll come back motivated if he is? What's the worse that can happen - he mopes and doesn't re-sign?

I agree that you don't rock the boat for now until the Habs lose..but when they do...all bets are off.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Pretty amazing that the Habs could have three guys sitting in Galchenyuk, Moen and White who could step in and replace injured players without any real drop off.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
MaxPac - DD - Vanek
Bourque - Pleks - Gio
Galch - Eller - Gally
Bournival - Prust - Weise
(Briere/Moen/White)

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Beaulieu - Weaver
(Tinordi/Bouillion/Murray)

Rickkins

Jul 22, 2007
I want to see Gally on a line with Vanek. I think that would be just freakin wonderful....

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
MaxPac - DD - Vanek
Bourque - Pleks - Gio
Galch - Eller - Gally
Bournival - Prust - Weise
(Briere/Moen/White)

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Beaulieu - Weaver
(Tinordi/Bouillion/Murray)
You realize Briere had 4 points in about 50~ minutes of ice-time last series?

If we play well in Game #1, Galchenyuk is just going to have to wait. It sucks, but that's life.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
If Chucky is ready to go, we should slot him in right away with Plekanec and Vanek, then make a tough call between Prust and Bournival.

Can't afford to be sitting quality offensive talent like him at this point, regardless of our ECF berth. It's going to have to be all hands on deck if we want to have a chance to win it all. I'm not of the mentality that our lineup can't be improved. It can, and it should (see Beaulieu, Nate).

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Vanek
Bourque-Eller-Gionta
Prust/Bournival/Moen-Briere-Weise

The riches of depth. Unreal to think that Moen might not play again soon.

We should also reconsider Vanek on the right of Pacioretty and DD, given Gallagher's chemistry with Chucky in this scenario. But that's more of a stretch. I like the fact our guns (Max, Vanek) are spread out right now and there's no one line to target and shutdown.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
If Chucky is ready to go, we should slot him in right away with Plekanec and Vanek, then make a tough call between Prust and Bournival.

Can't afford to be sitting quality offensive talent like him at this point, regardless of our ECF berth. It's going to have to be all hands on deck if we want to have a chance to win it all. I'm not of the mentality that our lineup can't be improved. It can, and it should (see Beaulieu, Nate).

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Vanek
Bourque-Eller-Gionta
Prust/Bournival/Moen-Briere-Weise

The riches of depth. Unreal to think that Moen might not play again soon.

We should also reconsider Vanek on the right of Pacioretty and DD, given Gallagher's chemistry with Chucky in this scenario. But that's more of a stretch. I like the fact our guns (Max, Vanek) are spread out right now and there's no one line to target and shutdown.
There's a huge difference.

Beaulieu replaced a guy who shouldn't be playing in the NHL, let alone the NHL playoffs.

The 12 guys up front, however, are NHL players and good ones at that.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
There's a huge difference.

Beaulieu replaced a guy who shouldn't be playing in the NHL, let alone the NHL playoffs.

The 12 guys up front, however, are NHL players and good ones at that.

Right, fine, but my point there was that just because we were "winning" mostly at that point with Murray/Bouillon didn't mean we couldn't have done better than play one of those two. Obviously we know that right now with Beaulieu (and, frankly, Tinordi) being a better option.

We may have 12 NHL calibre players up front, but like I said: if we want to go all the way and face off against the best in the form of NYR/the Western Conference champion, it's going to take everything we have. And I believe that Chucky playing would be an asset there, not to mention him getting experience like Beaulieu playing on the big stage.

I understand you and others not wanting to mess with what has worked, but swapping in a weapon like Galchenyuk, sophomore struggles or not, can only be a plus for us as we advance into the final 4 IMHO. We have that luxury waiting in the wings.

And if these playoffs have taught us anything (see DD/Plek lines), it's that what worked may stop working, so it wouldn't surprise me if Chucky is put in if at any point one line stops being productive.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
It's scary to mess with this lineup, Therien used Pleky and Eller in shutdown roles. I have a hard time seeing them put 2 offensive guys with Pleky but I dont really see another option.

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Vanek
Bourque/Bournival - Eller - Gionta
Prust - Briere - Weise

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
It's not a sprint..it's a marathon.

I think back to the Flames' Cup win in '89...Lanny McDonald and Peplinski were co-captains..and were also scratches for several games. You can't be too worried about ruffling someone's feathers during a Cup run..if Gio is the one who deserves to be scratched..scratch him for a game or two. You don't think he'll come back motivated if he is? What's the worse that can happen - he mopes and doesn't re-sign?

I agree that you don't rock the boat for now until the Habs lose..but when they do...all bets are off.

Soo true.

At this point in the game, there really is no "I" anymore. Whatever it takes to get to get the Cup and a ring is fine with any Habs player. I know that's the case with this team, this year more than ever. JUST WIN.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I don't see the urge to put him into the lineup. The guy has been doing peewee dekes all over the place all year long at the bluelines. He's played a very "anti-playoffs" kind of game this year. Plus the rust and everything...

That, and the fact it might humble him a bit... Would serve him well after the crap he pulled this year out of the ice.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I don't see the urge to put him into the lineup. The guy has been doing peewee dekes all over the place all year long at the bluelines. He's played a very "anti-playoffs" kind of game this year. Plus the rust and everything...

That, and the fact it might humble him a bit... Would serve him well after the crap he pulled this year out of the ice.
what. am. i. reading. :amazed:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

What the hell are you talking about with ''the crap he pulled this year out of the ice''?

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
what. am. i. reading. :amazed:

Galchenyuk hasn't played well enough this year to justify shaking a lineup who just conceded 1 goal in 2 games against the Presidents Trophy Winner.

What the hell are you talking about with ''the crap he pulled this year out of the ice''?

Nothing major. Not going to get into details, some minor stuff... Still, not the kind of attitude I like for a rookie. Not saying he's a head case or anything, but humility is never a bad thing for a young player.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Galchenyuk hasn't played well enough this year to justify shaking a lineup who just conceded 1 goal in 2 games against the Presidents Trophy Winner.

Nothing major. Not going to get into details, some minor stuff... Still, not the kind of attitude I like for a rookie. Not saying he's a head case or anything, but humility is never a bad thing for a young player.

you're speaking of a post-game car incident when he smashed his car into a snow removal tractor i believe. however he wasn't drinking

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
you're speaking of a post-game car incident when he smashed his car into a snow removal tractor i believe. however he wasn't drinking

It's a bit more than that. Nothing major though. Not willing to get into details on a hockey board though, as I know it's forbidden here. That's the last post I'm writing on that.

I might just be stupid to point that out. Maybe I'm a little too strict, but whatever... In any case, you don't dress a 20 years old rookie with a lot of rust in his game, after a so-so season. in the third round of the playoffs without very good motives. And we have none right now.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
One guy that needs a good game or two to start the NYR series is Bourque. He has no points the last 6 games after starting with 5 in 5. They haven't all been bad games but he needs to step it up with Galchenyuk Moen and White available.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
#27 should start on the 4th since he might need to settle in. He can be swapped with Bourni depending on the situation. He could have some serious chemistry with Vanek, so I hope we do see them together eventually.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think any decision needs to be made yet.

Go into Game 1 with the same lineup as last night and re-evaluate after that.

We don't even know for certain which of the games Galchenyuk might be ready for. Let's see him in a contact jersey and take it from there.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
All I want to point out too, is that from this point on in the playoffs, experience is INVALUABLE.

Seguin sat a good chunk of the 2011 playoffs run to the cup. It's no concern. And I'm sure he grew better from this experience.

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
It's a bit more than that. Nothing major though. Not willing to get into details on a hockey board though, as I know it's forbidden here. That's the last post I'm writing on that.

I might just be stupid to point that out. Maybe I'm a little too strict, but whatever... In any case, you don't dress a 20 years old rookie with a lot of rust in his game, after a so-so season. in the third round of the playoffs without very good motives. And we have none right now.

that 20 year old was one of the few players who showed up to last year's playoff series against Ottawa. I would have no worries over him playing, but at the same time all the players are playing great right now. The depth is impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad