Injury Report: Galchenyuk skated with team during optional practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Thank you. I noticed Bourque not engaging on defense and standing around a lot. He did not hustle for the puck.

Bourque is so damn frustrating. Great hockey player when he decides to show up and play. If he decides not to, he gives no effort whatsoever.

Likewise. Bourque was on fire vs Tampa but against Boston I saw the old Bourque. Chucky has hockey sense, a laser shot, agility, hockey IQ, etc.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Likewise. Bourque was on fire vs Tampa but against Boston I saw the old Bourque. Chucky has hockey sense, a laser shot, agility, hockey IQ, etc.

I think you forgot what the ''old'' Bourque is. He would drag down his line. Eller's line was good vs Boston. Didn't produce as much, but they had their chances, they sustained offensive zone pressure, they cycled the puck well, and except for that one very bad game 2, they were pretty good defensively. The effort was always there.

Reason why I'd remove Bournival first is that putting Galy next to Plek and Vanek could turn that line into a very legit top line. Galchenyuk playing with Vanek? Oh hell ya.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
As soon as Chucky is ready, sit Bourque. Let him heal up and get ready for the start of next season.

He did seem to slow up some but continued banging to the very end.
His legs will be more important against the Rags.
I'm curious to see if his missing O flair was more related to his role against Boston or an actual slow down. He did seem to do a pretty good job along the boards with Eller, which is why Gio seemed to get all the chances on that line.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
I think if you put Galchenyuk in for Bourque then you can move Bournival onto the Eller-Gionta line and use that as a shutdown line.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher lll Offensive Line 1 lll Draws opponent's shutdown
Bournival-Eller-Gionta lll Shutdown Line lll Draws opponent's top line
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Vanek lll Offense Offense Offense

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I think if you put Galchenyuk in for Bourque then you can move Bournival onto the Eller-Gionta line and use that as a shutdown line.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher lll Offensive Line 1 lll Draws opponent's shutdown

This is exactly what I would like to see.

The EK line would be awesome but we would have to adjust Chucky's and Plek's names a bit.

Galchenyek, Plekanek, Vanek

;)

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I think you forgot what the ''old'' Bourque is. He would drag down his line. Eller's line was good vs Boston. Didn't produce as much, but they had their chances, they sustained offensive zone pressure, they cycled the puck well, and except for that one very bad game 2, they were pretty good defensively. The effort was always there.

Reason why I'd remove Bournival first is that putting Galy next to Plek and Vanek could turn that line into a very legit top line. Galchenyuk playing with Vanek? Oh hell ya.

I know. Bourque is faster. Yet Galchenyuk is better at everythinbg else. Would you rather have Weise or Chucky ?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Then you break two line combinations that were working just so you can add one guy.
I wouldn't touch Eller's line, it's been a very key part to our success.

I know. Bourque is faster. Yet Galchenyuk is better at everythinbg else. Would you rather have Weise or Chucky ?

Bournival is who I would scratch, unless Prust is injured. If Galy was ready for game 1, that's what I'd do. 3 lines stay intact, remove Bourn put in Galy.

Galy won't be ready for Saturday, so we will see how the guys perform. A poor or bad showing by a player could make this decision a lot easier.

WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Galchenyuk in, Gionta out. Probably not, but one can hope.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Nice use of context.

I should try that. Consider every statement an absolute even when spoken in generalities.

There was no context. You stated absolutely that he wasn't skating. The last half of last game there were several instances of him doing precisely that: hustling and winning races. But you can become belligerent and argue random nonsense to get yourself out of being wrong yet again, I'm certain.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I don't think any decision needs to be made yet.

Go into Game 1 with the same lineup as last night and re-evaluate after that.

This (above).

OR

If Prust is still nursing an injury...you could give him some rest, but he has been playing well in last two games.

Galchenyuk? - Plekanec - Vanek
Pacioretty - DD - Gallagher
Bourque - Eller - Gionta
Bournival - Briere - Weise (major chemistry...dangerous line)
Prust
White

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

I'd argue that Chucky's top speed is significantly faster than Bourque's.

@Kriss, Bourni was one of our best forwards vs Boston in terms of all around play. His NZ takeaways, strong forecheck, puck battles down low, speed on the rush, play in his own zone, passing, and shot volume was/is very much needed. More so than what Bourque has to offer. With some puck luck (or experience) he would've potted some goals to show for his efforts. Also this experience will do WONDERS for his development.

Which is why i'd sub out Bourque for Chucky. We got his best performance vs Tampa and swept the series due to it. But Chucky is the better player. Like some posters have mentioned, i'd try these two lines:

Galch-Plek-Vanek
Bourni-Eller-Gio

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009

It's important to remember that the Eller line was given responsibilities at home ice to take on the bergeron line and Chara matchups a lot more often. They were still effective defensively and on the forecheck, but it's understandable that they didn't score at the same rate.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I love Chucky. He's awesome. I wear his jersey every Habs game. This season he's improved quite a bit, though in areas not necessarily score sheet-wise.

That said, I see a lot of holes in his game that will be filled when he develops physically. Gallagher is wayyy ahead of him there in terms of knowing how to use his frame and filling it. I dare say DD is somewhat a master of this when on his game as well.

I do miss Chucky's amazing one touch plays, but to date, I still haven't seen him develop patience with the puck and the ability to snipe that we need out of him. Regular season - totally fine. When every game counts and you haven't played a single playoff game this season, I am wary of putting him back in. On one hand, I think he'd be great against the rangers. He's had some monster games against them. I've been to the BC for one of them. Him and Eller on the PP were sick. I'm just concerned that shaking up a lineup that has been dynamite would be a bad idea.

I am still absolutely willing to accept that he could take us to a whole new level. I don't know who to take out. Moen already was hard, as he is a playoff gamer. Prust elevated himself huge in the last two games. Then there's Nathan, who showed what we can gain from that kind of a player and a young guy on top.

Really hard to know what to do IF he is cleared to play. Damn you Hossa!!!

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
My guess is that Galchenyuk will not be "completely ready" until the Habs lose a game. When that happens--and it's going to--where does he fit in the line-up?

Galchenyuk/Plekanec/Vanek is the most likely possibility. You'd have to drop Bournival down to the third line (in place of Bourque). Or to the 4th line and reconstitute the very effective trio of Bournival/Briere/Weise. This means either benching Prust, or promoting him to the 3rd line in place of Bourque.

Or leave Bournival where he is and slot Galchenyuk in one of the lower lines. A 3rd line of Galchenyuk/Eller/Gionta could work well. Or break him in slowly on the 4th line.

Unless the Habs sweep the Rangers and Galchenyuk can't break into the lineup , we should know the answer soon.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
do not under any circumstances other than injury remove Bournival from this lineup.
what can you possibly be thinking of???????????

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Galchenyuk Brière Weise could do wonders !

I think Prust would like to play against his former team, and scratching him just as he started to play good hockey in those playoffs isn't the way to go...

My 2 C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad