Value of: Galchenyuk for Domi, 6 months later

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
You have to admit, on paper it was not a great deal for the Habs. Bergevin and his scouts obviously saw something in Domi that was not apparent in his stats. Or they got lucky - i am thinking the latter. At the time of the trade, Bergy stated that Domi would play wing (and Drouin center). I don't think Bergy foresaw Domi becoming a top-line centerman.

True that no one projected him to be a centre, through being a playmaker and a 200-foot player he was better suited to be tried there than Drouin or Galchenyuk.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You really think Galch will outpace Domi when healthy? lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
There's a lot of career to be played...and you think domi is a better scorer than galchenyuk? "lol"

Goal scoring, i don't think so. But points and playing top-line C? You betcha! Coyotes got fleeced by Bergevin by accident. We never dreamed of getting a dynamic centerman in return for Galchenyuk. We thought we were getting a winger who had trouble producing points.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Goal scoring, i don't think so. But points and playing top-line C? You betcha! Coyotes got fleeced by Bergevin by accident. We never dreamed of getting a dynamic centerman in return for Galchenyuk. We thought we were getting a winger who had trouble producing points.
Galchenyuk had a near ppg pace as a center between 16-17 for a 70 game stretch.
maybe you should simmer down on the conclusions after an extremely small sample size.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
nice argument, jobber. willing to bet you'll be nowhere to be found when galchenyuk eventually surpasses domi in goals as he gets healthy.

Whatever dude. You're not even having the same conversation I'm having. Please work on your reading comprehension skills.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Galchenyuk had a near ppg pace as a center between 16-17 for a 70 game stretch.
maybe you should simmer down on the conclusions after an extremely small sample size.

SImmer down, why? At this stage, its looking like a complete fleecing. I can see the fleecing becoming a shearing, if Galch starts to finally produce. But come on dude, he's on pace for 44pts, ~30 games in. That is 1/3 of the season gone.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Whatever dude. You're not even having the same conversation I'm having. Please work on your reading comprehension skills.

"But who will score goals on MTL?!!", the 1-dimensional HF Habs fans said.

Pretty sure we are having the same discussion. Don't get all uppity because I call you out for sharing the name as one of the lamest jobbers in WWF history as you jump around in jubilation over a 30 game stretch.

Who the F taps out of a full nelson? ALDO MONTOYA. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Drouin92

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
SImmer down, why? At this stage, its looking like a complete fleecing. I can see the fleecing becoming a shearing, if Galch starts to finally produce. But come on dude, he's on pace for 44pts, ~30 games in. That is 1/3 of the season gone.
Yes simmer down, because careers aren't decided after 26 game sample sizes.

But I can play the ridiculous sample size game too...
in his last 15 games Domi has 9 pts. That's a 49 pt pace! Wow!
in his last 2 games, Galchenyuk has 3 pts and 2 goals. That's a 123 pt and 82 goal pace!

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Can remember a time when Hab fans stated they wouldn't do Galchenyuk for Giroux..... Hehe, good times!

When Galchenyuk was drafted at #3, I was heavily criticized by Habs fans after suggesting we could offer him to the Panthers to get the player who was drafted at #3 the previous year, Jonathan Huberdeau. I'm pretty sure most Habs fans would do that trade in a heart beat now.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yes simmer down, because careers aren't decided after 26 game sample sizes.

But I can play the sample size game too...
in his last 15 games Domi has 9 pts. That's a 49 pt pace! Wow!

And still better than Galchenyuk's! :)

I'm declaring this a win based on what i have seen. I've watched Galchenyuk since he broke into the league and he is nothing compared to Domi. Domi's skating and vision are elite. Galchenyuk's skating and vision are not even close. Domi is made to play center. Galchenyuk made to play wing.

Domi > Galchenyuk, given the Habs needs.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
And still better than Galchenyuk's! :)

I'm declaring this a win based on what i have seen. I've watched Galchenyuk since he broke into the league and he is nothing compared to Domi. Domi's skating and vision are elite. Galchenyuk's skating and vision are not even close. Domi is made to play center. Galchenyuk made to play wing.

Domi > Galchenyuk, given the Habs needs.

And Galchenyuk has a far better shot than domi, many of the best scorers or our generation just needed a shot to be heralded as an all time great.

Anyways I can totally see Chucky outproducing Domi for the rest of their careers. We only had nearly 600 combined games played between these two before this season as evidence. But you hold onto those 60 or so games, close to your chest.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
And Galchenyuk has a far better shot than domi, many of the best scorers or our generation just needed a shot to be heralded as an all time great.

Anyways I can totally see Chucky outproducing Domi for the rest of their careers. We only had nearly 600 combined games played between these two before this season as evidence.

Galchenyuk has a very good shot that he can never get off. I see Galchenyuk being a 56 pt player. That's his peak given his deficiencies. Gally is also terrible back-checking, lacks speed and tends to float.

Domi has PPG potential, is fast, elite vision, backchecks and has grit and heart. He's more of a Habs type of player. Galchenyuk is perfect for the Coyotes!

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Pretty sure we are having the same discussion. Don't get all uppity because I call you out for sharing the name as one of the lamest jobbers in WWF history as you jump around in jubilation over a 30 game stretch.

Who the F taps out of a full nelson? ALDO MONTOYA. :laugh:

You can be pretty sure all you want but you're still wrong. I never said whether or not Domi would score more goals than Galchenyuk, nor do I care.

Work on your reading comprehension skills.

Oh yeah, you understand that my name is a sarcastic play on the goalie Al Montoya, right? You do realize that WWF wrestling isn't real, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Crow

Crow

May 19, 2014
Calling any professional wrestler a jobber ... lol

So far it looks bad for the coyotes. It’s unreasonable to say they were fleeced at this point. Probably best to wait six months of actual play.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I'll admit, I was dead wrong about this trade. Granted, I never thought Domi was a bad player. Just that he wouldn't amount to much. That being said, both players needed a change of scenery. It's hard to say Arizona lost when it didn't look like Domi was going to fit their system. In the same way Galchenyuk never gelled in Montreal.

Gally will always been an unknown for me. Montreal horrendously mis-managed him. We may never see what he could have been. Of course, it's also on him to rectify things now that he's moved on.

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
You can be pretty sure all you want but you're still wrong. I never said whether or not Domi would score more goals than Galchenyuk, nor do I care.

Work on your reading comprehension skills.

Oh yeah, you understand that my name is a sarcastic play on the goalie Al Montoya, right? You do realize that WWF wrestling isn't real, right?

You made the sarcastic comment about habs losing goals...

But now you concede that domi wont score more goals?

And it's not like prior to this season that domi was producing more pts either. So its really funny how you're using this sample size to jump to conclusion in a "I told you so" moment. Nice try.

My comprehension skills are fine. I said it many times...galchenyuk has had a BETTER and LARGER sample of size as a number one center than Domi.

Oh your name is a sarcastic play on al Montoya...yet theres literally no tie-in anywhere for anyone to figure that out?weird flex but ok.

Oh wow it's not real? You just blew my mind. Haha.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Its funny how when the trade happened the narrative was that the habs traded a 30 goalscorer for a 9 goalscorer (despite the fact that galchenyuk hit 30 once a few years ago, and Domi hit 18 that same year), and now Domi is the once who is on pace for 30+ goals while Galchenyuk is on pace for about 9 goals

I got flamed pretty hard when I wrote an article about Domi being a huge plus for Montreal. Glad to see its working out for Canadiens fans. We need our Canadian clubs at the top of the league. :D

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
You made the sarcastic comment about habs losing goals...

But now you concede that domi wont score more goals?

And it's not like prior to this season that domi was producing more pts either. So its really funny how you're using this sample size to jump to conclusion in a "I told you so" moment. Nice try.

The team is scoring more goals with Domi than they did with Galchenyuk and Pacioretty last year. They currently sit at 12th in the league. Last year they were near the bottom the whole season. When Galchenyuk and Pacioretty were traded Habs fans questioned where the goals would come from. They would come from having a playmaker like Domi around and playing important minutes.

your name is a sarcastic play on al Montoya...yet theres literally no tie-in anywhere for anyone to figure that out?weird flex but ok.

Oh wow it's not real? You just blew my mind. Haha.

I shouldn't have to spell everything out for you. Many people got what I was going for there, you didn't.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You really have to begin to wonder about player development in the Desert. In addition to dumping Domi, who was a high first-rounder, they also recently parted with both Strome and Perlini, two more first-rounders. Strome was drafted third overall.

Either they're drafting the wrong guys to begin with, or more likely they're setting up their top prospects for failure by the way they utilize them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad