Value of: Galchenyuk for Domi, 6 months later

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Tied with the Hanifin/Lindholm/Hamilton/etc. one, the most interesting trade of 2018 in my opinion :

1 for 1 trade, young promising players with untapped potential... Lots of negative reactions/hot takes on these boards (even more than usual).

They are facing again tonight; it will certainly be an interesting matchup.

Your thoughts about the trade, 6 months later? Have you changed your mind about it? If yes, will it affect how you evaluate players in future?

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Domi is awesome, I think that's all that needs to be said about him

MB redeemed himself a bit

When Price finds his game I think Montreal will make the playoffs, and they have a little bit of cap space to work with at the deadline. Brian Boyle would be a good pick up for them imo

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Still way too early.

Weber coming back really boosted the Habs but I expect them to come down after the break.

Good team play but so very lacking in high end talent.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
No one who knew what they were talking about thought the Habs got wrecked in the trade. Domi's "8 goals" meme covered up his great playmaking talent.

I say even trade even if Domi is excelling relative to Galchenyuk right now. Neither player was likely to succeed in their situation.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Classic change of scenery trade. I’m hesitant to ever really say teams lose these kinds of trades because it’s unlikely Domi would’ve ever done this on Arizona, but the Habs are looking like winners here.

Reactions: zaqq

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Galchenyuk will turn it around, all of the AZ players have played like hot garbage

Montreal got themselves a great keeper though.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
This surely worked out great for Montreal. Kinda have a feeling Domi wanted out of Arizona after seeing the comments from his father talking about how he's now playing for a "real" franchise and he's embracing it. I think Domi is able to handle the market better and is better suited for it than Galchenyuk ever was. Domi plays a style that Montreal fans will love, he's a hard working guy that has that in your face attitude, something that few players in this league have.

It's still very early, I thought this would've been a very good deal for Arizona and I never thought Domi would be this good. Still it can take some time for players to settle in their market/team. You look at Duchene in Ottawa it took him 30 games to settle in, he wasn't producing, and he's been PPG ever since. On the other hand you look at Turris who went PPG for his first 25 games in Nashville and since then has taken a big step back. It can go both ways..

Interesting thought that Galchenyuk recently got moved to the wing by the Yotes.

Reactions: HabsDood

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don't think many people saw this coming...Domi has been awesome, and Galchy pretty meh in his 23 games played. Most fans, including habs fans really did not like the trade.

Edge to Montreal right now, but that could change? Domi seems to be really thriving in a hockey market.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Galchenyuk has always been one of the most weirdly overrated players in the league, stretching all the way back to draft day.

he's a poor skater, with good but not great skill, doesn't bring any intangibles to the table, and is certainly not a center.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Galchenyuk has always been one of the most weirdly overrated players in the league, stretching all the way back to draft day.

he's a poor skater, with good but not great skill, doesn't bring any intangibles to the table, and is certainly not a center.
Nylander is more overrated. 7 million jobber. Congrats. Oh wait...I guess we shouldnt be making conclusions with small sample sizes?

Reactions: exporta

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad