Confirmed with Link: Galchenyuk,Flynn,Tinordi,Bournival,Thomas and Nygren gets qualifying offers

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
he would be unlikely to see any time in the AHL next year since he would be picked off waivers.

yes, 1 year two way would be my guess.

It goes off when you sign your ELC, most skaters sign at 20 and get 3 years before they have to go through waivers.

Tinordi, Thomas, Bournival, Flynn, all would have to clear waivers to play in the AHL next year. Dumont, Ellis as well.

he was one of NYR's top scorers on their AHL team, he's never been given a shot in the NHL yet so I don't know if he can play in the NHL or not, guess we'll see where he ends up.

What if they start the season in the AHL?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Even guys like Ellis who were never on the AHL roster?

That is confusing.

Ellis was on the AHL roster last year, not sure what you are saying there. The season ends, then training camp starts, preseason then regular season. All players on NHL contracts are on the NHL roster before the season starts. So for any player on an NHL contract, they don't start the season in the AHL no matter if they played last season. They are on the NHL roster and have to be sent down to play in the AHL. Everyone no matter what your NHL contract status is, ELC, one way, two way, etc... If you are waiver eligible then you must pass through waivers first before you can be assigned to an AHL club.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Ellis was on the AHL roster last year, not sure what you are saying there. The season ends, then training camp starts, preseason then regular season. All players on NHL contracts are on the NHL roster before the season starts. So for any player on an NHL contract, they don't start the season in the AHL no matter if they played last season. They are on the NHL roster and have to be sent down to play in the AHL. Everyone no matter what your NHL contract status is, ELC, one way, two way, etc... If you are waiver eligible then you must pass through waivers first before you can be assigned to an AHL club.

OK, ... and since the two way Qualifying offer contains both the NHL and the AHL amounts, it still does contain the NHL offer amount and is an NHL contract and therefore they are on the NHL roster.

So they all would have to clear waivers, and since the Qualifying Offer amount is:
Flynn is eligible for one way for $715K,
Tinordi is eligible for two way for $850K for NHL duty or $67K for AHL,
Bournival is eligible for two way $715K for NHL duty or $67K for AHL,
Thomas is eligible for two way $850K for NHL duty or $67K for AHL,

... any one of them could be picked off on waivers at the bold amount which is the NHL contract level if they were sent down to the AHL.
Nygren is signed in Sweden and the Qualifying offer will be rejected. It's only protecting NHL ownership rights. He would not be sent down and would therefore not go on waivers and could not be picked off.
Galchenyuk, who is also part of this bunch would not be picked off on waivers either since he would not be sent down to the AHL.

However, what this also seems to say is that of the $4.9M of salary cap left, that $3.130M is added to the cap by Flynn, Tinordi, Bournival, and Thomas leaving what would seem as just $1.8M left to sign Galchenyuk until the cap limit is reached, but that is also a dead number since the active roster, which can be higher than 23 prior to the season has to be trimmed to 23 by season start. With all of them up at NHL level, the team number of players would sit at 25 if Galchenyuk is signed. As such, at least two of those four at the minimum must be sent to the AHL and therebye go through waivers before the season starts and that is assuming no other players are signed. That also really leaves at least $3.3M for Galchenyuk's contract.

Well, it certainly looks like we won't be signing any more players ... trades excluded though.

----------------------------------------------

I also see that a following paragraph on Article 13.4 of the NHL CBA - WAIVERS AND LOANS OF PLAYERS TO MINOR LEAGUE CLUBS ...

The first season in which a Player who is age 20 or older plays in one (1) or more Professional Games shall constitute the first year for calculating the number of years he is exempt from Regular Waivers.

(c) A 20 year old Player who plays in one or more Professional Games in the 2013- 14 season will be exempt from Regular Waivers as follows:
Season Regular Waivers
13-14 Exempt
14-15 Exempt
15-16 Exempt
16-17 Eligible
Note: Once a 20 year old Player has played in his 160th NHL Game, he will immediately become eligible for Regular Waivers.

Since Tinordi played in the NHL and was:
12-13 Exempt
13-14 Exempt
14-15 Exempt
15-16 Eligible.

So, as such, Tinordi has to clear regular waivers if he is to be assigned to an AHL team in 2015 - 2016.

Now I see and understand why the first exemption statement I listed on total number of games won't apply. Without printing any more, it's that the exemption is for three years only.

Last edited:

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
No way they send Tinordi down then right? Or else he would be picked on waivers.

Then either two of Flynn, or Bournival, or Thomas or even Pateryn or someone else would have to be sent down and one or both of them could be picked. This is, of course, all barring any trades that could happen to move any players and reduce the player count.

The thing is, it is a gamble but there may also be no takers on any of the players sent down. In my opinion, I don't think Tinordi's past performance will get him picked for that Qualifying amount by another team. All teams already have bottom six players and seventh defensemen.

Last edited:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
No way they send Tinordi down then right? Or else he would be picked on waivers.

Expect Tinordi to show up in training camp being in the best shape of his young career, and win a starting job, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, Jarred is going to be quite the Dman like his father was & the Habs aren't going to lose him on waivers for zip.:nod:

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Expect Tinordi to show up in training camp being in the best shape of his young career, and win a starting job, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, Jarred is going to be quite the Dman like his father was & the Habs aren't going to lose him on waivers for zip.:nod:

Work ethic isn't my biggest concern with Tinordi. He seems to have an extremely low hockey IQ, which is something he's too old to overcome imo. He's already made more poor decisions in his limited NHL time than you see some guys make in an entire career.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Work ethic isn't my biggest concern with Tinordi. He seems to have an extremely low hockey IQ, which is something he's too old to overcome imo. He's already made more poor decisions in his limited NHL time than you see some guys make in an entire career.

I think the bold part is an exageration. And I don't think that Tinordi's bad decisions are a sign of a low Hockey IQ. I think he just needs to read the play and make his decisions more quickly. He never got used to the speed of play in the NHL where you have less time to react. That is something that can only improve with more experience, if he gets playing time that is.

That was the most absurd thing about him being sent down. MT said that Tinner needed to get used to the speed of the NHL. And when a journalist asked him how a player can work on that while playing in the AHL, all MT could offer as a response was "That's a good question" :shakehead :facepalm:

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
I think the bold part is an exageration. And I don't think that Tinordi's bad decisions are a sign of a low Hockey IQ. I think he just needs to read the play and make his decisions more quickly. He never got used to the speed of play in the NHL where you have less time to react. That is something that can only improve with more experience, if he gets playing time that is.

That was the most absurd thing about him being sent down. MT said that Tinner needed to get used to the speed of the NHL. And when a journalist asked him how a player can work on that while playing in the AHL, all MT could offer as a response was "That's a good question" :shakehead :facepalm:

Tinordi needs to feel like he can play his game and not get benched everytime he makes a mistake. MT is terrible with rookies.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Tinordi needs to feel like he can play his game and not get benched everytime he makes a mistake. MT is terrible with rookies.

A coach's job is to win, first and foremost. Can't blame a coach for sitting a guy if he makes costly mistakes. The problem is when there's a double standard and not all players are held accountable in the same way. Plus my main issue with how Tinordi was handled, is that I don't think he has anything to learn in the AHL. So even if he makes mistakes and you decide to make him sit a couple of games, I would have preferred they kept him up with the big club and have him train with NHLers. I think it would have been better for his development than playing in the A.

Koopa Troopa

Jun 14, 2015
Montreal
Far to much attention is paid to point production by some fans, instead of noticing the play of Christian Thomas was very much like Brendan Gallagher's in his first stint with the Habs. It will not surprise me one bit if in fact, he excels this coming season, given the opportunities to succeed, he plays full out the entire shift every shift like it's his last, just as Gallagher does every shift.:nod:

I was just about to make that comparison. Then I saw your post. :)

If he can put some points up and keep playing hard like that. He could fill a spot for sure.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
A coach's job is to win, first and foremost. Can't blame a coach for sitting a guy if he makes costly mistakes. The problem is when there's a double standard and not all players are held accountable in the same way. Plus my main issue with how Tinordi was handled, is that I don't think he has anything to learn in the AHL. So even if he makes mistakes and you decide to make him sit a couple of games, I would have preferred they kept him up with the big club and have him train with NHLers. I think it would have been better for his development than playing in the A.

It might be better for Tinordi if he played for a different team.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

If anything I fear he might have gotten slightly worse playing in the AHL. It was reported that the Habs wanted him to play tougher and meaner and in turn Tinordi just became more involved in fights. He didn't look nearly as good this season like he was in the 2013 lockout year and 2013-14 season.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
If anything I fear he might have gotten slightly worse playing in the AHL. It was reported that the Habs wanted him to play tougher and meaner and in turn Tinordi just became more involved in fights. He didn't look nearly as good this season like he was in the 2013 lockout year and 2013-14 season.

I personally put that on our lacklustre coaching and development. Every position should have a coach of Waite's excellence.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Then either two of Flynn, or Bournival, or Thomas or even Pateryn or someone else would have to be sent down and one or both of them could be picked. This is, of course, all barring any trades that could happen to move any players and reduce the player count.

The thing is, it is a gamble but there may also be no takers on any of the players sent down. In my opinion, I don't think Tinordi's past performance will get him picked for that Qualifying amount by another team. All teams already have bottom six players and seventh defensemen.

LMFAO

I think every franchise in the NHL would be more than interested in Tonordi Especially when you consider he is a 23 year old 6'6 first round D coming out of what in known as one of the worst development programs in the league.

Lefebvre used him as a goon until he got his face crushed. Nice work!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad